Hoeing the garden

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Just wondered what peoples opinion was on the best way to hoe their garden.

Do you hoe shallow and lightly hoe up the weeds or do you hoe deep or do you use the how to throw up dirt to cover up the weeds like a cultivator does? Just curious.

Jogeephus":31gef8sf said:

Do you hoe shallow and lightly hoe up the weeds or do you hoe deep or do you use the how to throw up dirt to cover up the weeds like a cultivator does? Just curious.

Its according to the hoe I am using , One likes it gentle , the other one likes it rough. each one is built for the task at hand.

I use a stirrup hoe. It barely disturbs the soil and works forwards and backwards. It's like using a whisk broom. Vastly superior to all other hoes for weeding and takes much less effort to use. Also, you can get right up next to the plant with a stirrup hoe and pull the weed (or crabgrass) out without hurting the plant.

Jogeephus":3ixrwjhz said:

I like to hoe enough to bring roots up and let it lay out in the sun and dry them up so id say pretty shallow. I only really hoe where the cultivator cant go.

Speaking of hoes these ones made today are P.O.S. I like the wooden handled ones but they always break so I took some conduit and welded it to the hoe that hasn't broke yet but will give you a good workout

M-5":hairps15 said:
Jogeephus":hairps15 said:

Its according to the hoe I am using , One likes it gentle , the other one likes it rough. each one is built for the task at hand.

lmao didn't really pay attention to this the first time

I like a hoe like this as with the two prongs I can get between the plants better.......

71r5XjEpVLL._SY550_.jpg

Jogeephus":nfsg6vpk said:

Kinda depends if you are on top of things or a week behind.....wink wink....hasn't been all that wet this year so I've been able to get most of it with the garden tractor and tiller. Soil is nice and loose so just a light hoe will move the soil enough to uproot the weeds and grass that's just come up. If I wait to long the job becomes real work. And after today it's become apparent I'm not much for real work anymore......

I collect my lawn clippings and lay them in my garden where the plants are not growing. It keeps the weeds down and it composts throughout the summer. I till my garden in the fall and spring so they just compost over the winter and adds more organic matter to the soil. It sure beats hoeing and pulling weeds when all you have to do is pull weeds where you don't mulch your grass clippings.

M-5":3n8l56p6 said:
Jogeephus":3n8l56p6 said:

If the task is 'at hand' you don't need a hoe........

Didn't plant one this year bc if various time constraints but I prefer to plant on plastic like they do watermelons. Plant earlier and very minimal weeds

Latest posts