Frame 9 - Angus?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
All I've heard for the past few days was about the frame score 9 Angus that weighed over 3500 lbs. Any body see him in Denver? What's all the commotion for?

MikeC":2pykmwl1 said:
All I've heard for the past few days was about the frame score 9 Angus that weighed over 3500 lbs. Any body see him in Denver? What's all the commotion for?
Yep. He is big. I just seen him tied up standing in his pen. He looked thick, well muscled, long and deep.

BAF Limited Edition 372 wont pull up on the Angus site on an EPD look up. I copied and pasted and it gave 0 results. Was just wondering what sire and dam that monster is out of. Didnt think Angus were supposed to be that big.

Circle H Ranch
http://www.chrlimousin.com

Cattleman200":3atwq78f said:
BAF Limited Edition 372 wont pull up on the Angus site on an EPD look up. I copied and pasted and it gave 0 results. Was just wondering what sire and dam that monster is out of. Didnt think Angus were supposed to be that big.

Circle H Ranch
http://www.chrlimousin.com

Do it this way, B A F Limited Edition 372

Production Maternal
CED +5
BW +2
WW +45
YW +95
YH I+.5
SC
CEM +8
Milk +16
MkH
MW
MH
$EN +3.95
His highest accuracy is 30% on birth wt,
everything else is 23% or less.
He has no carcass EPDs

Wean Value ($W) +20.64
Feedlot Value ($F) +36.83

His sire is B A F Donamere 9196 13540886
His MGS is Whitestone Fly Traveler 3006 #+11927444

Other then maybe putting a hoodah on his back and hunting tigers, what would a 9 frame anyting be used for?

dun

dun":25hd0par said:
Other then maybe putting a hoodah on his back and hunting tigers, what would a 9 frame anyting be used for?

dun

A terminal sire if the growth numbers are good. Unless frame score 8 and 9 cattle start winning Angus shows(and I don't know what is "IN" in the show circuit), I can't think of anything else he is good for.

Brandonm2":2jdhlpkx said:
A terminal sire if the growth numbers are good.
What??? You need growth numbers to tell you a 9 frame angus has growth...you epd guys kill me.

ollie'":3e9x6w1i said:
Brandonm2":3e9x6w1i said:
What??? You need growth numbers to tell you a 9 frame angus has growth...you epd guys kill me.

All the frame score really tells you is that an animal has a high individual frame score. Higher framed cattle typically have higher growth rates; BUT there are plenty of frame score 5 bulls; whose progeny out perform frame score 7 bulls (like Lovana). At this point I would say he is a high growth bull. It is POSSIBLe that his performance will not often pass on well to his progeny. If I were using him I would certainly continue to watch the EPDs.

Brandonm2":vrr7vzm1 said:
ollie'":vrr7vzm1 said:
Brandonm2":vrr7vzm1 said:

All the frame score really tells you is that an animal has a high individual frame score. Higher framed cattle typically have higher growth rates; BUT there are plenty of frame score 5 bulls; whose progeny out perform frame score 7 bulls (like Lovana). At this point I would say he is a high growth bull. It is POSSIBLe that his performance will not often pass on well to his progeny. If I were using him I would certainly continue to watch the EPDs.
Good come back Pots. He weighs 3500.

ollie'":2e0ojdev said:
Brandonm2":2e0ojdev said:
ollie'":2e0ojdev said:
Brandonm2":2e0ojdev said:

Good come back Pots. He weighs 3500.

We KNOW that he IS big!!!
If the bigger bull ALWAYS had the bigger weaning calves, there would be no need for EPDs. You could rank animals by their own individual performance and be done with it. Experience has shown that individual performance is just an indicator of progeny's performance NOT an ironclad guarantee that that performance is frequently repeatable.

Let me go ahead and get you on the record here brandon, If we have two bulls and one is a 6 frame 1750 lb bull and the other is a 9 frame 3500 lb bull. The 1st bull has a ww of 20 points higher than the second bull with an accuracy on both bulls of .75.... If you put these bulls on hereford cows , in your opinion , which bull would sire the heaviest set of calves.

ollie'":p8dm3sqn said:
Let me go ahead and get you on the record here brandon, If we have two bulls and one is a 6 frame 1750 lb bull and the other is a 9 frame 3500 lb bull. The 1st bull has a ww of 20 points higher than the second bull with an accuracy on both bulls of .75.... If you put these bulls on hereford cows , in your opinion , which bull would sire the heaviest set of calves.

8) :cowboy:

ollie'":2whgojhw said:

I don't understand your being upset at my pointing out that the big ox is not proven yet. I am the one that said he would be a terminal sire afterall.

Reguarding your top question, I don't believe it is answerable. Phenotypically, common sense tells me the bigger bull SHOULD have superior performance over the smaller bull; but then 75% accuracy means that both bulls have been used by at least three different herds and according to the data the little bull's calves weigh more at weaning. Genetically, the performance of the progeny is FAR more relevant than the performance of the animal itself. In this example, if I am hunting weaning weight I would be scared of both bulls. I would be suspecting the little bull of falling back to the pack when more data is processed and the big bull would be looking like a dud, though I would suspect he could still jump. If those numbers hold to 85% accuracy, then I am perfectly willing to declare the little bull the growthier bull, even though that is not what I would have guessed back when they were two year olds.

Of course , "Theoretically" the frame score should follow the animal for life because it's based on days of age. But, (a big but here) I have seen animals with growth rates at different periods during their life.

Some bulls will grow more height during the second year than others will, even though they are the same size at yearling. Some have a big growth spurt after their 2nd year.

I guess it's just like some people. I have seen some boys with a growth spurt at 12 years old and some at 16.

Brandonm2":1bapu4o0 said:
ollie'":1bapu4o0 said:

I don't understand your being upset at my pointing out that the big ox is not proven yet. I am the one that said he would be a terminal sire afterall.

Reguarding your top question, I don't believe it is answerable. Phenotypically, common sense tells me the bigger bull SHOULD have superior performance over the smaller bull; but then 75% accuracy means that both bulls have been used by at least three different herds and according to the data the little bull's calves weigh more at weaning. Genetically, the performance of the progeny is FAR more relevant than the performance of the animal itself. In this example, if I am hunting weaning weight I would be scared of both bulls. I would be suspecting the little bull of falling back to the pack when more data is processed and the big bull would be looking like a dud, though I would suspect he could still jump. If those numbers hold to 85% accuracy, then I am perfectly willing to declare the little bull the growthier bull, even though that is not what I would have guessed back when they were two year olds.
No problem with me at all. I just happen to believe what I personally know. I don't waste all my mistakes by remaking them because a number tells me different. To each his own.

BAF Limited Edition 372! I saw him and he is one very large, well balanced and very well-put-together Bull. But don't breed him to heifers!! :shock: :eek: ;-) He has a foot the size of a dinner plate......with bone to match!

DOC HARRIS