Found Livestock

Help Support CattleToday:

Dirt Farmer

Reaction score
Hypothetically of course, what does one do if three horses showed up on your property? They have no brands. I've searched Oklahoma statues and haven't found the answer yet. The sheriff's office nor the highway patrol has been of any help. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Where I am, we have had to deal with 10-15 head of stray cattle coming on to our place periodically , we get no help from law enforcement or the state office that is supposed to address and help locate the owner. We are of course required to be sure they have access to food and water, at our expense. At one time there were brands and or earmarks. But after 50-60 years of this, there are very few if any brands or earmarks. We assume they are offspring/descendants of one ranchers cows/bulls, so of course that rancher benefits hugely. It also results in a lot of uncut animals. My cousin hasn't owned a bulls for quite some time, but gets calves every year. :)

Years ago strays of any species could be taken to the local sale barn where the state brand inspector would locate the owner and the sale barn would collect the cost of care. But not no more that is considered bad. I believe there are restrictions here on how far you can legally transport someone's cattle, don't know about horses but would guess similar rules, and the closest sale barn is way outside that range.

You might try calling a horse rescue, but most want a donation.

I'm assuming you've already contacted your neighbors. Are you on Facebook? There are a lot of lost/found & community pages. Call your vet and local sale barn. They can probably provide the most information. Just because they aren't branded doesn't mean they don't belong to someone.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. The horses are pretty poor and wild. I don't think they're worth much and may have been purposely abandoned. We spoke with the one neighbor that has horses

The closest thing to a pertinent law I have found says it's up to the sheriff to sell the horses and make the landowner whole if the horses are in the sheriff's possession. I haven't found anything about what the law is if a landowner has unclaimed horses on their property. I'll call the Oklahoma Cattle Association and possibly an attorney Monday if the sheriff still refuses to get involved. I may or may not post a found notice in the local paper for two weeks.

I'll be sure to update this thread for future reference if I find any definite answers.

Thanks for all the replies. The horses are pretty poor and wild. I don't think they're worth much and may have been purposely abandoned. We spoke with the one neighbor that has horses

The closest thing to a pertinent law I have found says it's up to the sheriff to sell the horses and make the landowner whole if the horses are in the sheriff's possession. I haven't found anything about what the law is if a landowner has unclaimed horses on their property. I'll call the Oklahoma Cattle Association and possibly an attorney Monday if the sheriff still refuses to get involved. I may or may not post a found notice in the local paper for two weeks.

I'll be sure to update this thread for future reference if I find any definite answers.
What county are you in? I'm in NE canadian Co.

Latest posts