Livestock fire plan

Help Support CattleToday:

We are surrounded by fires currently. Last year we were evacutated. This year, so far, been on watch and act.
Cows do NOT LIKE fire! My sheep dont care it seems, chicken rooster is possessed and attacking anything, and anyone who dares to enter the state, let alone our land. Totally lost the plot due to smoke.

When cows are spooked by fire/smoke, they will head for the treed area on a property, the most dangerous area, so no, you cannot rely on them to go to safety. And of course, you will feel a stong urge to try and get them out of there to safety.

You clearly cannot back burn with a total fire ban in place. And only back burn with license and advice and CFA truck nearby IMO.

Part of my plan was to deal with neighbour not slashing his fields. He's not interested, council dont have any clout, or at least, giving him way too much time for my safety. We are on high alert, and his paddock is 4 foot high. So some wire cutters have sorted that. Ive let my livestock 'break in' to his un-slashed paddock and left for the w/e. I am alive to apologise when he next visits his 'farm' that is empty, cept when the city slicker comes to stay and play farmer for a long w/e.

We strip graze, = longer grasses and thus higher risks. So we have a good ploughed perimeter fire break spring to winter.
I have water in containers left in paddocks to exstinguish spot fires or embers.
I have 2 (dogs) who warn strongly in fire. One of these unfortunately thinks for herself in a fire, and will bring all the darn animals to me for help. So that's cows being pushed through the front door scenario occurring in panic situation. Not good. So i now know to secure her first!

Whist we've been able to avoid fire on our property, the smoke is causing havoc; the hay stinks now, and cows not interested. 21 bales ruined! Its also spooking the animals, enough to render my fire plan a complete joke! I had dreams of transporting them. Er, the roads are blocked, trees down, animals are wild in behaviour and unpredictable and aggressive. Even my house cow broke my foot running toward me away from smoke and did not stop in time.
So new plan: livestock to remain and BBQ, dogs/chooks in crates on ute. Its horrific AND achievable. Unlike my last fire plan fantasy.

Latest posts