ford V-10

Help Support CattleToday:

mmsubs

Reaction score
Anyone here own a ford 3/4 ton with a V-10? I just want to check out the gas mileage and dislikes with the V-10. I'm somewhat comparing it to the power strokes. I will be in the market for a new truck around the beginning of next year and I want a F-250 crew cab because the F-250 crew has so much more room than my current dodge quad cab. I haven't really looked at a F-250 with a V-8 but if anyone has one please feel free to put your 2 pennies in. Again this is for people how have owned late model F-250/350's, Not really looking to hear about Chevy or dodge.

mmsubs":35s0o8ka said:
Anyone here own a ford 3/4 ton with a V-10? I just want to check out the gas mileage and dislikes with the V-10. I'm somewhat comparing it to the power strokes. I will be in the market for a new truck around the beginning of next year and I want a F-250 crew cab because the F-250 crew has so much more room than my current dodge quad cab. I haven't really looked at a F-250 with a V-8 but if anyone has one please feel free to put your 2 pennies in. Again this is for people how have owned late model F-250/350's, Not really looking to hear about Chevy or dodge.

I have two PowerStokes. One is a 7.3 and one is a 6 L. My niece has always bought V10's but she only pulls horse trailers. I think she said she gets about 12-15 empty and 7-8 pulling. Tough motors but don't pull like the diesels. If you don't pull much and want to save $6000 go with the V10. Shoot, gas is cheaper than diesel now anyway. You could wait for the 07 Fords to come out. I am hearing a 6.4L diesel with ~350HP and about 650 lbs torque. If you find you a good used 7.3 that would be a good move also.

when comparing my current mpg with my 4.7L dodge quad cab 4 x 4 and what I have seen posted on this board about the ford diesels with some people saying they get around 20 mpg hwy and 17 in the city with theirs I think the fuel price difference would just about equal out and I do love diesels I just don't have the knowledge about smaller ones. the diesel I work on that we have on the sub is a Fairbanks-Morse 38 N 8 1/8 with 12 cylinders opposed piston (24 pistons) and it burns 100 gal of diesel an hour. the blower on that think is as big as a 7.3L diesel. I haven't decided yet to get a manual or an auto I know there is a difference in fuel economy there also...I just don't know how much. what's your loaded/unloaded mpg with your 7.3 and 6.0 L?

mmsubs":3vyj2lad said:
when comparing my current mpg with my 4.7L dodge quad cab 4 x 4 and what I have seen posted on this board about the ford diesels with some people saying they get around 20 mpg hwy and 17 in the city with theirs I think the fuel price difference would just about equal out and I do love diesels I just don't have the knowledge about smaller ones. the diesel I work on that we have on the sub is a Fairbanks-Morse 38 N 8 1/8 with 12 cylinders opposed piston (24 pistons) and it burns 100 gal of diesel an hour. the blower on that think is as big as a 7.3L diesel. I haven't decided yet to get a manual or an auto I know there is a difference in fuel economy there also...I just don't know how much. what's your loaded/unloaded mpg with your 7.3 and 6.0 L?

Both are auto's. 6L does about 18-19 unloaded running 75-80MPH. Loaded it does around 13 depending on start and stop traffic. 7.3 does around 16-17 unloaded and around 13 loaded. My old 7.3 was a manual with 4.10 gears and did 16 HW and 13 pulling. Hope this helps. Just stay away from the early built 03 6 liters. If you get and 03 find one that was built after June of 2003.

2000 f 350 dually 4x4 7.3 powerstroke turbo auto (my bad)
13.4 unloaded at around 2000 rpm 60 65 mph if i go over 2500 rpm i lose mpg, could change rear end ratio to get more mph at lower rpm but why? not running datona anyway,
12 mpg if i leave the hubs locked in
10 -11 loaded depending on load!
love the crew cab (wanted an ext cab at first but this was available) yes it is long 8' bed, and wide, dually, took some getting used to that size but wouldn't trade it for anything else now!!!

Latest posts