Ford 8000 PTO problems

Help Support CattleToday:

JRM

Reaction score
Got Ford 8000 and was cutting hay and PTO would just stop then start back again then after a couple minutes it stopped for good. Checked fluids and the PTO fluid was only about one quart low and main HYD fluid was only down to about 1/2 gallon. Changed filter and added hyd fluid to where it was full. I did notice that the 3 pt lift would not work if I was using the remotes, such as lifting the front end loader etc, but as soon as the remote were not engaged then the 3pt would work.
The tractor had dual power but we have used the kit to eliminate the dual power and just run it straight. Any ideas what to look for and check. I checked linkage and seemed to be set right. The PTO will turn slowly now even when it is in stop postion, before it would not turn if on off postion.
Any help appreciated

JRM":1k273llc said:
I did notice that the 3 pt lift would not work if I was using the remotes, such as lifting the front end loader etc, but as soon as the remote were not engaged then the 3pt would work.

That is normal.

The tractor had dual power but we have used the kit to eliminate the dual power and just run it straight. Any ideas what to look for and check. I checked linkage and seemed to be set right. The PTO will turn slowly now even when it is in stop postion, before it would not turn if on off postion.
Any help appreciated

Had an old 5000 that did the same thing. Has a hydraulic clutch pack that operates the pto shaft, and a hydraulically operated thumb brake that rides against the outside of the pack to stop your shaft. I jerked the whole pack out and rebuilt it, worked fine after that.

I can't help but wonder if you're getting a constant hydraulic flow to the pack, maybe an internal line is leaking or... But my money's on the clutch pack.

Latest posts