For you Johhny Reb....and all you believe.

Help Support CattleToday:

angie":365rz9aw said:
dang....inspirational music, and I don't have speakers. :help:
I love anti-north type stuff ~ it Cracks Me Up!! :lol2:
Maybe one of you can give me the general message? :nod:
not all about hate, as you would like to believe.. went to one of the local slave cemetery too see an ol mans grave last weekend. we all new as kids "Rich Hunter" who was a son of slaves, that was 105 years old when he died . every one loved that ol man. he lived on a old shack on some property that he gave to two poor white boys. you would have too grow up in the south to know what it was like not just assume you know

hopalong":39oyh11e said:
I beieve that song came out in mid 1960 and was sung by a fellow named Johnny Horton, who also sang The battle of New Orleans, Comanchee the brave horse, and North to Alaska, song like that were meant as a tribute not to deamonize any side,
He was killed in a car accident in 1960.

Don't forget "Sink the Bismark". Name a war and Johnny Horton had a song about it.
He was very popular in the 50-60's.

ALACOWMAN":3iy78tic said:
angie":3iy78tic said:
not all about hate, as you would like to believe.. you would have too grow up in the south to know what it was like not just assume you know
Give me a break. Read posts 2, 3, and 4. You want to talk to someone about hate ~ take it to someone else. I don't assume to know what it was like, and 150 + years later neither should you. I am not talking about the Civil War nor am I talking about slavery in the post you quoted. I am talking about a few chest thumping, knuckle draggers who think it would be a party to have another go around. Maybe they need to figure out what it was really like, and they wouldn't be so anxious to "try it again" and "get them yanks". Soldiers on both sides back then figured out in a hurry how romantic war is.

angie":2vhhr618 said:
ALACOWMAN":2vhhr618 said:
angie":2vhhr618 said:
not all about hate, as you would like to believe.. you would have too grow up in the south to know what it was like not just assume you know
Give me a break. Read posts 2, 3, and 4. You want to talk to someone about hate ~ take it to someone else. I don't assume to know what it was like, and 150 + years later neither should you. I am not talking about the Civil War nor am I talking about slavery in the post you quoted. I am talking about a few chest thumping, knuckle draggers who think it would be a party to have another go around. Maybe they need to figure out what it was really like, and they wouldn't be so anxious to "try it again" and "get them yanks". Soldiers on both sides back then figured out in a hurry how romantic war is.
you need a break, thats for sure. dont have too read the other post im speaking for myself.

It is all a sore subject still, all these years later. Reconstruction was about as bad as the war itself for some.

Some of us lost ancestors who didn't even own slaves and they were not fighting about slavery in the first place. So we do tend to get emotional about all the big misunderstandings. We have had rhetoric shoved down out throats most of our lives and it is all a big lie in many ways. Anyway, we are sick of the rhetoric. And it is not a big joke either. I don't understand the jokes folks make about it. But I don't understand what goes on in government now either. Most of it makes no sense to me and the results of actions have nothing to do with the motives proposed.

" bout time to try it again " ----------" Let's get them yanks "

Do you two really advocate another Civil War ?

We have much larger troubles faceing our great nation than a few people still hateing each other on each side of the Mason - Dixon line.

Let's be realistic here fellas. Are we not, "One Nation Under God" ?

Lets remember who started calling the post,an honor to the south, "junk" that instigated the name calling and who tried twisting and spinning this into a hate post,typical Houstonite trash,truth be know this so called angus/brangus dont know which end of a cow quits the ground first,city slickers like him need to just move along,he brings nothing to this conversation except stupidity and rudeness and seems determined to get the thread locked.................good luck & goodnite bout time I headed upstairs,was in Bandera today shopping for farrier supplies and looking at over priced horses,could use some rest............later

angie":g9i50epz said:
ALACOWMAN":g9i50epz said:
angie":g9i50epz said:
Angie I certainly want to appologize. My post lacked judgement. I assumed that most , if not all, would know that no one that is the least bit familiar with the civil war would want another one. What I would really like is for the northerners (from the bigger cities that move down here) to go back home. I get sick and tired of their lack of social graces. It's fine to dislike your steak for example but it's not fine to gnaw on a young waitress. It's fine that in Chicago you could buy a car of any color in any style for half what they cost here but it gets old hearing it. They all laugh because we wave at people we don't know but it's not fine that these people never wave back. One of my most trustworthy friends is from Wisconsin. He's the salt of the earth. I also have several friends in the Dakotas and a few from other northern states that I do or have done business with and they were all good. I really appreciate you northern women with such fine taste in music and such social decorum the most. BTW I know a wee bit about the civil war. On my farm is a foundation to a house that the north burned and an old hand dug well that some of the locals say got salted by the northerners. I also have a field where I can take a metal dector and dig you up some buttons or bullets. The neighbors place has 2 union soldiers buried under a walnut tree , etc. but I probably wouldnt know as much about anything as some people from the north would. Just ask them.

By come out in full force,I mean to come out and vote this fall.The war between the states was started over unfair tarriffs imposed upon the south.I think that north and south alike both suffer from greedy politictions and oppesive government.Lets hope that come election day,that we have sence enough to send them home a packin.

If my history lessons memory is correct, Lee was asked to serve in the capacity that Grant served as, but he (Lee) decided not to because he was a Virginian first. He was also married to Martha Washington's granddaughter.

JW..found the following about Lee and you are correct:

After the war he was employed in engineer work at Washington and Baltimore, during which time, as before the war, he resided on the great Arlington estate, near Washington, which had come to him through his wife. In 1852 he was appointed superintendent of West Point, and during his three years here he carried out many important changes in the academy. Under him as cadets were his son G. W. Custis Lee, his nephew, Fitzhugh Lee and Jeb Stuart, all of whom became general officers in the Civil War. In 1855 he was appointed as lieutenant-colonel to the 2nd Cavalry, commanded by Colonel Albert Sidney Johnston, with whom he served against the Indians of the Texas border. In 1859, while at Arlington on leave, he was summoned to command the United States troops sent to deal with the John Brown raid on Harper's Ferry. In March 1861 he was made colonel of the 1st U.S. Cavalry; but his career in the old army ended with the secession of Virginia in the following month. Lee was strongly averse to secession, but felt obliged to conform to the action of his own state. The Federal authorities offered Lee the command of the field army about to invade the South, which he refused. Resigning his commission, he made his way to Richmond and was at once made a major-general in the Virginian forces. A few weeks later he became a brigadier-general (then the highest rank) in the Confederate service.

I can remember lee's picture hanging in class room right along with washington's and lincolns. course to american flag then the confederate underneath.but now they have even put the heart of dixie in a little spot on our licence plate where you cant hardly see it.

Lee lived the remainer of his life at Lexington.He and most of his family are entombed beneith the chappel at Washington and Lee.Arlington house and all of its grounds were confinscated by the feds and buried union soldiers in the yard ..For years the farm was used as a shanty town for freed blacks until the federal government decided to make it the national cemetery.Hence Arlington National Cemetery today.

"At least 618,000 Americans died in the Civil War, and some experts say the toll reached 700,000. The number that is most often quoted is 620,000. At any rate, these casualties exceed the nation's loss in all its other wars, from the Revolution through Vietnam.
The Union armies had from 2,500,000 to 2,750,000 men. Their losses, by the best estimates:

Battle deaths: 110,070
Disease, etc.: 250,152
Total 360,222

The Confederate strength, known less accurately because of missing records, was from 750,000 to 1,250,000. Its estimated losses:

Battle deaths: 94,000
Disease, etc.: 164,000
Total 258,000

The leading authority on casualties of the war, Thomas L. Livermore, admitting the handicap of poor records in some cases, studied 48 of the war's battles and concluded:
Of every 1,000 Federals in battle, 112 were wounded.
Of every 1,000 Confederates, 150 were hit.
Mortality was greater among Confederate wounded, because of inferior medical service. The great battles, in terms of their toll in dead, wounded, and missing is listed on this site:"

http://www.civilwarhome.com/casualties.htm

The confederates were almost always outnumbered. They walked into battle often outnumbered and outgunned. They lacked a substantial navy. They lacked supplies. Some were even bare foot. They gave as much as they took.

Walt

It is truely sad that 618,000 AMERICANS died in the Civil War. Brother against Brother,Father against Son, neighbor against neighbor.
I pray we never see a repeat of this ever again in OUR great nation.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1fw4i1wo said:
It is truely sad that 618,000 AMERICANS died in the Civil War. Brother against Brother,Father against Son, neighbor against neighbor.
I pray we never see a repeat of this ever again in OUR great nation.
Amen!

I think I've learned more civil war history from this thread than I did in 12 years of school . The thing that struck me was that 2x as many died from disease than died from battle . In 1860 my family was still in Germany eating potatoes for 3 meals a day, so really I know very little about the war, other than what we learned in school .I think if we use other countries around the world that have been torn by civil war as an example we come to the conclusion that we owe a great debt to the gracious nature of the southern people, that through the pain and hurt let the past be the past and went on to build the greatest nation on the face of the earth . To the South :tiphat: .

Larry

by Robert E. Lee

After four years of arduous service, marked by unsurpassed courage and fortitude, the Army of Northern Virginia has been compelled to yield to overwhelming numbers and resources.

I need not tell the survivors of so many hard-fought battles who have remained steadfast to the last that I have consented to this result from no distrust of them; but feeling that valor and devotion could accomplish nothing that could compensate for the loss that would have attended the continuance of the contest, I determined to avoid the useless sacrifice of those whose past services have endeared them to their countrymen. By the terms of the agreement, officers and men can return to their homes and remain until exchanged.

You may take with you the satisfaction that proceeds from the consciousness of duty faithfully performed, and I earnestly pray that a merciful God will extend to you his blessing and protection. With an unceasing admiration of your constancy and devotion to your country, and a grateful remembrance of your kind and generous consideration of myself, I bid you all an affectionate farewell.

Latest posts