? for you hereford breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

cul8r

Reaction score
did any of you have cows that were awarded a Dams of Distinction honor?

I had none, as far as a know. I am hopefully going to buy a dam of distinction at the upcoming Virginia Hereford Sale. She is from Knoll Crest Farm, in Red House, Virginia. I am also going to buy her heifer calf, sired by 774. :cboy:

I have "regular" cows that can out-perform my DOD's as far as weaning weights. Don't let the title lead you to believe they will always be yours, or someone elses best. (although they are "some of the best", and at the least very good cattle) It's all about fertility, and weaning a calf which is in the top 105% of the weaning group. That is why contemporary groups are important. Some say the larger the group, the easier it is for animals to recieve DOD recognition. (greater percentage of animals can be over 105% due to average weight in calf crop) The way the AHA request that breeders group their cattle (sex, age of calves, feed codes, age of dams, etc. etc.) makes it sometimes difficult to put together a large contemporary group w/o mathamatical adjustments coming into play more.

1848":i8nmflkz said:
I have "regular" cows that can out-perform my DOD's as far as weaning weights. Don't let the title lead you to believe they will always be yours, or someone elses best. (although they are "some of the best", and at the least very good cattle) It's all about fertility, and weaning a calf which is in the top 105% of the weaning group. That is why contemporary groups are important. Some say the larger the group, the easier it is for animals to recieve DOD recognition. (greater percentage of animals can be over 105% due to average weight in calf crop) The way the AHA request that breeders group their cattle (sex, age of calves, feed codes, age of dams, etc. etc.) makes it sometimes difficult to put together a large contemporary group w/o mathamatical adjustments coming into play more.

Very well put it is much harder for the small TPR breeder like myself to have a DOD

Hey Camp! You watching that grass grow? I think my cattle are getting fatter just looking at it coming in..... :D

It is harder for the smaller breeder. I see where AHA recognized only 55 in the great state of Texas this year...but Texas was in the top 10!... :D

It's not something I constantly think about, or worry about. I know I have some good cows that would IMO fit in anyone's front pasture. As you have probably figured out, I am a very small operation, but I obtained my genetics from proven sources, and took my choice of what I thought was the best they had to offer. I have kept what I felt were the best replacements. For example, one of my foundation cows was one of the top two or three heifers in her contemporary group in weaning weight and style. Another heifer from another source weaned at 109%. I sold a bred cow to my brother, and bought back the heifer calf because I felt she was the best heifer I had produced when it came to the total package of style and substance, performance, and bloodlines. She is the easiest fleshing animal I own. Unfortunately, her preemie calf only lived two days. But she did everything else right, and I blame myself for the preemie, due to circumstances I allowed to fall into place. She is now doing a fantastic job with her adopted Holstein calf.

Don't mean to boast, but I look with some satisfaction at the fact that we have accomplished a few things such as: A cow that has produced nothing but herd bulls; my son showed a heifer that was county breed champion; a steer that we sold has been shown with some success, defeating (If I remember correctly) Star Lake bloodlines. He is facing a big show in March that will truly test him. I guess I'm trying to say that these things mean more to me than DODs.

Another thought: If your cattle are all doing a good job, then why complain because they are all pretty equal?

Sorry for the long post. :oops:

I guess since cul8r ain't gunna respond, we will make our own forum... :)

greenwillowherefords":2qelsf13 said:
It's not something I constantly think about, or worry about.

That's a step in the right direction. Just concentrate on fertility and let the cards fall where they may

I am a very small operation, but I obtained my genetics from proven sources, and took my choice of what I thought was the best they had to offer.

Sounds like you have your priorities right. Breeders don't have to be big to have quality. A 10 to 15 head operation can breed nothing but the best if they do it right, and they can make money doing it too.

I blame myself for the preemie, due to circumstances I allowed to fall into place. She is now doing a fantastic job with her adopted Holstein calf.

Can't blame yourself. You did good salvaging her and letting her raise a calf.

A cow that has produced nothing but herd bulls

This is kinda my philosophy. I want all my cows to be capable of producing bull calves that I know will make good herd bulls (ones that I would use), based on phenotype, EPD's, and genetics....If I use this as a standard, then I know I am breeding for the right things (talking seedstock here). If I use cows with good maternal traits, then it will be passed into the bull. If I don't get a bull, then I still have all my ducks in a row for the replacement side too.... :)

He is facing a big show in March that will truly test him. I guess I'm trying to say that these things mean more to me than DODs.

You're right..they do! Teaches them kids all kinda good stuff! Good luck!

Another thought: If your cattle are all doing a good job, then why complain because they are all pretty equal?

Right again, why complain? I think it is important to develop a herd that raises a consistent and uniform calf crop across the board, more than concentrating on just a few great ones. I think that is every cattlemans goal.

Sorry for the long post. :oops:

Me too!

1848":35oackdd said:
I have "regular" cows that can out-perform my DOD's as far as weaning weights. Don't let the title lead you to believe they will always be yours, or someone elses best. (although they are "some of the best", and at the least very good cattle) It's all about fertility, and weaning a calf which is in the top 105% of the weaning group. That is why contemporary groups are important.

good points 1848. some of our "regular" cows also out-perform our DOD's. one of the things that will get a cow on the list quicker than anything else is her calving interval.

another point to remember about DOD's and ratios is that the ratios are based on contemporary groups and within herd only. while a cow could be a top performer in my herd, in someone else's herd, she might ratio at the bottom (and vice versa). to simplify, my best cow might be as good as someone else's worst. while she's a DOD for me she could be a cull for them (again, and vice versa).

I think it is a grand thing to have DOD's in your herd. I on the other hand, do not own any DOD's. I have registered stock that has out did some of the DOD's I know of. I have a heifer that just had her first calf. She is doing well with the animal. The heifer, which now is a cow, weaned off her dam at 119%. She is an outstanding animal that I think will become a DOD someday. I am hoping so. If anyone has ever herd of the Rausch Herefords in I think Nebraska or South Dakota, they have the most DOD's in the Hereford breed at 24. We breed for high performance, using Knoll Crest Farm Herdsires. Knoll Crest Farm is a great herd in Red House, Virginia and has a few DOD's in there herd. :cboy:

1848":1n8umndz said:

I saw where it was posted and I was just wondering if any of the smaller breeders on here made it so that I could congratulate them on a job well done.

That's all.

Hill Creek and Greenwillow, I think that you will get some on the list one day. You seem like you have good cattle.

The other three people didn't really say yes or no, so.........

cul8r":2ttetfsv said:

so............what? :roll:

you're right, we didn't say, but then again, neither did you. ;-)

btw, what do you consider "smaller breeder"?

cul8r":1a1e96z9 said:
1848":1a1e96z9 said:

I saw where it was posted and I was just wondering if any of the smaller breeders on here made it so that I could congratulate them on a job well done.

That's all.

Why just the smaller breeders? You also didn't specify whether or not you meant this new list, or previous list, which is pretty general. Many breeders have DOD's in their herds, they just might not be on the current list any more.... ;-)

Don't mean to sound sarcastic

1848":27pinehn said:
cul8r":27pinehn said:
1848":27pinehn said:

That's all.

Why just the smaller breeders? You also didn't specify whether or not you meant this new list, or previous list, which is pretty general. Many breeders have DOD's in their herds, they just might not be on the current list any more.... ;-)

Don't mean to sound sarcastic

I was referring to the 2004 list that the AHA just posted and I was asking about the smaller breeders because I would think that it would be a great accomplishment for a breeder with ie: 25 head to have cows on the DOD, then a ranch with 500 head to have 10 on the list.

Also I was referring to cows that were raised on the ranch, rather that dod's that were purchased from some other ranch.

txag":2wwe0c1f said:
cul8r":2wwe0c1f said:

so............what? :roll:

you're right, we didn't say, but then again, neither did you. ;-)

btw, what do you consider "smaller breeder"?

You're right, I didn't say. ;-) That would probably be because I run Brangus. 8)

I would have to say the small breeder in my mind would be anyone with less than 100 to 150 head.

Latest posts