Flushing Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
I'm curious...how many times and how often can you safely flush a cow?

Also curious if you can sex the embryo before implanting.

JH

i really cant tell you how much you can safely flush a cow.because i dont know the answer to that.but most guys i know flush a cows 2 times.then breed her back an let her have a calf.next time i talk to a friend of mine ill ask him how meny times he is gonna flush his 2 donor cows this year.

Don;t know about the number of flushes, but yes, the embryos can be sexed. No idea how, but I know it is done.

Not sure on exact numbers... but I know my vet has cows at his clinic that are to valuable to breed. They get flushed once a month, sometimes a bit more often, most have been there around a year.

Well, I flush my cows 3 times.... I turn Spring Calvers into Fall Calvers and then Fall Calvers back into Spring Calves for my donors... I strongly believe that a "pasture condition cow that is either nursing a calf or is number 120 days dry are the best flushing period.... The results i have gotten have been an average of 11.7 grade 1 embryos a flush last year on 34 flushes.. I think it is working...

I currently have just purchased some donors that have 7-12 flushes on them and they are still producing 7-10 embryos a flush... I have made the decision to bred them cows and get them back into production, i know this will made my profitability on these cattle another at 42 months but i feel that if I want to keep these cattle in top shape and producing for the next 3-5 years i have to do this...

You can sex embryos, you could also use IVT for sexed embryo's /////

GAR 2636 has had 2 calves. Her first 2 pregs. Been flushed since. She was born in 1996. I really doubt she will ever have another natural calve. One drawback to flushing is the more you do it the lower the number of embrios you will get. That is why most flush 3 times and breed her. The more she can be a cow the better the flushes will be. At the same time there are probly a million exceptions.

Flush 3 groups of three cows at a time. The flushing is 6 weeks apart,i.e., every second cycle. Good success with average of 7-8 eggs per cow per flush. 15-18 month old heifers flushed once then put in calf. I have a 13 year old cow, donor for two previous studs, she is flushed bi-monthly and at her age I doubt she will have another natural calf. She has done a great job, now I am getting the last and hopefully the best out of her.
The flushing success depends on the individual cow's responce to the FSH. Some need a lot, maybe 14-16 ml over four days and some only respond successfully to 10-11 ml over four days. Also depends on when you AI and if you AI once, twice or three times over the responsive part of the cycle.
You do end up changing calving seasons , except if you flush each girl 6 times over a year bi-monthly, but it can be worth it if the girls do flush successfully.
Lee

Latest posts