Floating Corner Brace For High Tensile Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron9876

Reaction score
Hello,

Can anyone please explain to me why a floating corner brace system requires the actual brace to be floating ontop of the ground? It seems like if the brace post was ended in the ground against a dead man of sorts that the brace would be alot more effective? The only reasons i can think of are 1) its easier, and 2) people are afraid that the anchored end would lift the corner post out of the ground. Reason 2 doesnt make sense to me be because if you actually provided something for the brace to bear against that there would be less lifting force induced into the corner post. The floating style would seem to actually make the lifting forces worse...?

Thanks for any advice
-Aaron

If the end of the floating brace digs into the ground, as it will if there isn;t something for it to ride on, the post will lean. With the post end of the floater high enough and the floater long enough it won;t jack the post out of the ground.

Will someone post how to build a floating brace, I have heard of them but I have not seen how to build one. Seems like they would work good for electric fence corners.

cowboy43":ze77ehfn said:
Will someone post how to build a floating brace, I have heard of them but I have not seen how to build one. Seems like they would work good for electric fence corners.

Fenceman will be along shortly.

I agree that the length and angle of the brace make a huge diffence as far as lifting forces. And with the floating system if you do not provide a bearing surface for the brace it will sink into the ground and the post will lean. But if the brace post provides a lateral force instead of just preventing overturning of the post according to some quick math it seems to make alot of sense. As the main problem with the floating brace is the post lifting out of the ground the system that miniimizes that force would seem to be the better option.

Im mostly just curious if there are some real world examples where this has been tried. It is possible that there are other reasons it is not done that way commonly.

Yes i do have rocky soil in some areas, other areas are top soil with clay.

I've never used one (or seen one, for that matter), but it's my understanding that the rigid brace needs to be floating so that it can slide when you tighten the brace wire periodically to keep the fence tight.

So what is the correct height to put a diagonal brace into the corner, 2/3 of the post ? I have one corner that is solid rock at about 2 feet. I tired a floating corner and if you put much tension on the top HT wire it starts to pull the post out of the ground. I do believe the diagonal post is higher then the top wire.

Latest posts