First 6 steers going to processor Monday

Help Support CattleToday:

If I had the choice between "quality angus beef" and a rodeo steer, I am definitely going with the angus. I believe that some breeds are better marbled and more tender than some other breeds. Pretty sure that is the case, independent of marketing. Not saying that angus is superior in all cases, but I don't think all breeds are equal.
If their fed the same most people (including cattle people) can't tell the difference in the British and continental breeds.

I believe that any chunk of meat that grades Prime (Canada) is going to be an excellent eating experience regardless of what colour the animal's hair was.
Think that Corriente will grade prime? I did not mention color since the hair and hide are not eaten.

Don't get me started. It is good for marketing I suppose, but "Angus" is no better or worse than other breeds.
Haha. Someone told me that I should cross our angus with Simmental cattle. My first thought is that's a really nice cross however it's pretty easy to sell purebred Angus!! Nothing against other breeds but the angus association has done a great job marketing the product. I'll leave the other areas they are lacking alone tho.

Haha. Someone told me that I should cross our angus with Simmental cattle. My first thought is that's a really nice cross however it's pretty easy to sell purebred Angus!! Nothing against other breeds but the angus association has done a great job marketing the product. I'll leave the other areas they are lacking alone tho.
I was there when it happened, and it was a brilliant marketing campaign.

If I had the choice between "quality angus beef" and a rodeo steer, I am definitely going with the angus. I believe that some breeds are better marbled and more tender than some other breeds. Pretty sure that is the case, independent of marketing. Not saying that angus is superior in all cases, but I don't think all breeds are equal.
Angus is not superior in any case. They are no less or no more. When I was very young, no one wanted Angus because they were short, stubby, and fat, and their steaks were tiny with a ton of fat cap. They eventually bred that out. But the whole "Angus" is superior thing was pure marketing.

Last edited:
If their fed the same most people (including cattle people) can't tell the difference in the British and continental breeds.
One of the biggest differences is the resistance to pinkeye. The continental breeds have a different eye pigment that is more resistant to pinkeye rather than the British breeds. I went to a seminar once where they explained it. It has nothing to do with taste, marbling ect though.

One of the biggest differences is the resistance to pinkeye. The continental breeds have a different eye pigment that is more resistant to pinkeye rather than the British breeds. I went to a seminar once where they explained it. It has nothing to do with taste, marbling ect though.
Interesting. I would think a white face fleckvieh Simmental would be as vulnerable to pinkeye as any British breed.?

Interesting. I would think a white face fleckvieh Simmental would be as vulnerable to pinkeye as any British breed.?
A few years ago, @KennyThomas invited me to go to a seminar at the Vet School near him and @jltrent. That was one of the things that was discussed by the Veterinary presenters. It has something to do with the pigment in the eye itself. That is not to say that they can't get it, but they are not as susceptible. They also discussed the Pinkey vaccines and the fact that they are really not that effective.

Overall, it was a very informative day. I don't think they have had one in the past couple of years. because of the pandemic. If anyone is within driving distance it is a day well spent when they start it back up. https://cgcattle.weebly.com/

Got to wonder if Angus are due to hit a wall with their lack of genetic diversity. The "Certified" sales scheme may be the death of the breed eventually.

I think when Jacob was talking about the angus marketing aspect it was more geared towards direct customers. He can tell his customers that he raises purebred angus and he truthfully does.
Yes I believe people seek out angus beef just because of the marketing CAB and the angus association has done. I understand other black hided cattle qualify but my customers don't realize that and they are wanting Angus Beef. I believe if I produce a good end product my customers are willing to pay for that.

I've got too many projects!

Where's @Warren Allison

Think that Corriente will grade prime? I did not mention color since the hair and hide are not eaten.

There are probably people out there with the time and expertise to accomplish this task
I have no idea., Murray. I don't even know what prime, choice, etc are any more. Haven't had a need to know for the last 55-60 years since 4H and FFA. But, if you were to take any Criollo- type calf and confine it in a pen or stall or something and fed it corn 24-7, it would get as fat and tender as any other. By the same token, polled beef -bred cattle are used for team penning, sorting, and cutting. In a herd owned by a venue or contractor that is using these cattle 1-2 times a week, they will be as lean and muscular as any Corriente type used for roping.

Yes I'm blessed that she put some really good cows together and we have the genetics to perform. It's important to manage these steers correctly from the start. We fed them a little since weaning in may but really started managing them in October when we got the first weights and wormed them. We have weighed them each month and have adjusted the amount of feed. My goal weight is 1300 pounds I only hit that with 2 this go around but setting up butcher dates well over a year out it's hard to hit every time. Still happy with how they turned out. I rather them be a tad under finished than over. Just my opinion.

Biggest thing is I hope our customers enjoy them as much as I think they will.
I am very new in cattle business. Please let me know the feeding process you use to get cattle to look like this? Is there anything I can read on the process of preparing cattle for processing? Your cattle look very good.

davesr - it helps when you start out with QUALITY weaned calves. These steers come from a TOP Angus herd.
Jacob - you are totally correct. AAA did an awesome job promoting and it helped all beef in US. I just like to tease because I get to benefit from their promotions! LOL
When a city person thinks quality beef, they "know" the word Angus.

davesr - it helps when you start out with QUALITY weaned calves. These steers come from a TOP Angus herd.
Jacob - you are totally correct. AAA did an awesome job promoting and it helped all beef in US. I just like to tease because I get to benefit from their promotions! LOL
When a city person thinks quality beef, they "know" the word Angus.
We know you do Jeanne.

Ken

Latest posts