Grass Steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Has been a shite growing season here, but the steers are finally starting to look appropriate. Appointments are end of September. They should be pretty dang smooth by then. Probably range from 1100 to 1400 right now.

The one in front of the last picture is going on corn this week, along with two older cows. Doesn't seem to be doing as well as the rest with only grass. He has more leg and less gut than any of the others.

This is the trial run. This is their third summer. Doubt i do it again from birth to finish on grass. Takes too long.

Attachments

• 20230716_084344.jpg
    20230716_084344.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 32
  • 20230716_084426.jpg
    20230716_084426.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 30
  • 20230716_084359.jpg
    20230716_084359.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 32
  • 20230716_084303.jpg
    20230716_084303.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Has been a shite growing season here, but the steers are finally starting to look appropriate. Appointments are end of September. They should be pretty dang smooth by then. Probably range from 1100 to 1400 right now.

The one in front of the last picture is going on corn this week, along with two older cows. Doesn't seem to be doing as well as the rest with only grass. He has more leg and less gut than any of the others.

This is the trial run. This is their third summer. Doubt i do it again from birth to finish.
More leg and less gut on the cow that isn't doing as well as the others on grass finished makes sense to me based on what I am familiar with. She is probably destined to be a 1500 lb finished animal as well, or on the upper end at least. Your smaller framed animals (less leg, smaller finish weight, more gut) are very much more designed to finish/perform well on grass finishing. The bigger framed, longer legs, heavier animals, less gut animals require the energy content of being grain fed, or specialized diets in a word.

Don't give up on something new you have tried that others claim to work and you have seen their success, but look at your results and figure out why you aren't getting the desired results, make changes, and re-evaluate.

More leg and less gut on the cow that isn't doing as well as the others on grass finished makes sense to me based on what I am familiar with. She is probably destined to be a 1500 lb finished animal as well, or on the upper end at least. Your smaller framed animals (less leg, smaller finish weight, more gut) are very much more designed to finish/perform well on grass finishing. The bigger framed, longer legs, heavier animals, less gut animals require the energy content of being grain fed, or specialized diets in a word.

Don't give up on something new you have tried that others claim to work and you have seen their success, but look at your results and figure out why you aren't getting the desired results, make changes, and re-evaluate.
Definitely not giving up. I'm too stubborn for that. 😃 I appreciate the encouragement, Mark.

I do think I'll start buying fat 2 to 4 year old girls in spring and grazing them til fall, then have them processed. I feel that's a happy compromise.

They're doing satisfactory to me especially with the rain we have had. I'm just not a fan of the time they require from birth. I don't have the heart to price them according to their worth. Doubt I have the market for it either.

I want to be able to offer either corn or grass finished beef. There is demand for both here.

Last edited:
So, they're looking better and better each and every day. I've been moving them 3 and 4 times a day on red clover dominant ground while leaving a good bit behind them. Hoping to get a good fescue rebound if we can get some rain.

The red animal is a couple weeks away from dropping her 2nd calf I do believe.

Four of the steers go next Thursday. Can't tell ya how excited I am to see what they look like once unzipped. Think it's going to be a very good outcome. Each one of them have ended up getting a good fat cover much to my surprise. From what I see now, I think I'm going to give it another go after these.

Attachments

• 20230910_102504.jpg
    20230910_102504.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 20230911_073046.jpg
    20230911_073046.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20230911_153259.jpg
    20230911_153259.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Definitely not giving up. I'm too stubborn for that. 😃 I appreciate the encouragement, Mark.

I do think I'll start buying fat 2 to 4 year old girls in spring and grazing them til fall, then have them processed. I feel that's a happy compromise.

They're doing satisfactory to me especially with the rain we have had. I'm just not a fan of the time they require from birth. I don't have the heart to price them according to their worth. Doubt I have the market for it either.

I want to be able to offer either corn or grass finished beef. There is demand for both here.
I always thought grass-fed beef should be cheaper because you're not buying feed and if you have a good established pasture your input costs are much lower. But if you price grass-fed beef retail cuts are expensive and sell for even more than wagyu sometime.

I always thought grass-fed beef should be cheaper because you're not buying feed and if you have a good established pasture your input costs are much lower. But if you price grass-fed beef retail cuts are expensive and sell for even more than wagyu sometime.
I will get into the weeds here maybe...

Grass fed, to me, is different than grass/pasture finished. Grass fed would be anything coming off of pasture. There is no level of finish required to meet that label. Lots of the low-effort grass fed beef is responsible for poor reviews IMO. We shall see though. Hope I'm right. I'll get pictures when they're hanging for discussion's sake.

If I had gone the corn route on these they'd have been processed in 2021. These are 3 years old. Takes a lot of time, plus the value of everything they've eaten including three winters worth of hay. I'm trying to learn how to get better gains on forage. Have read about 2-3 lb a day gain with covers, going to experiment with some next year hopefully.

When pencil hits paper on these, it's going to be ugly. I've got to find a different route than steers. I won't be able to guarantee what they've eaten their whole lives, but going with cull heifers is probably going to be the most cost effective animal to run through this program. Graze them from spring to fall and process them.

Two things at play here. 1) Supply & Demand. 2)Perception. Grass fed is much harder to come by and Grass fed is thought of as being much healthier by many.

Truth be told grass makes up a significant portion of the diet of most livestock (its cheaper feed :)) Livestock that are 'grain fed' are mostly 'grain FINISHED', to give them that nice marbled appearance and add the tasty fat.

Grassfed cattle have lower carcass yields to start. Then the weight gain is less overall. So it is not a given that they will be or can be cheaper. I posted some recent research about it somewhere else in another thread the other month. And it also had info that frame score is not a good indicator for the best results in a grassfed production model. A lot of that is sales pitch for small framed cattle. They need an edge and a sales line and that one is well worn. Just my opinion: if it is taking 3 years to get to finish, there is a tremendously weak link somewhere. Either genetics, forage or something. But a gutless wonder is always better on concentrates than pasture regardless of frame score.

Grassfed cattle have lower carcass yields to start. Then the weight gain is less overall. So it is not a given that they will be or can be cheaper. I posted some recent research about it somewhere else in another thread the other month. And it also had info that frame score is not a good indicator for the best results in a grassfed production model. A lot of that is sales pitch for small framed cattle. They need an edge and a sales line and that one is well worn. Just my opinion: if it is taking 3 years to get to finish, there is a tremendously weak link somewhere. Either genetics, forage or something. But a gutless wonder is always better on concentrates than pasture regardless of frame score.
Mine are average frame animals. These probably weight 1500 pounds. Smaller frame would probably finish quicker.

My problem has been winter hay. I've always looked for the cheap stuff. I'm sure this has been the problem with length of time required. I bought better hay this year. We will see how things go. It's pretty hay. Also. The hay I've made I've gone for quality over quantity. That should help too.

I could have sent them on last fall but they were only about 1100 pounds. Should have done it then I'd say. These big guys ought to be a good payday though.

Can't learn something if I don't try...

Mine are average frame animals. These probably weight 1500 pounds. Smaller frame would probably finish quicker.

My problem has been winter hay. I've always looked for the cheap stuff. I'm sure this has been the problem with length of time required. I bought better hay this year. We will see how things go. It's pretty hay. Also. The hay I've made I've gone for quality over quantity. That should help too.

I could have sent them on last fall but they were only about 1100 pounds. Should have done it then I'd say. These big guys ought to be a good payday though.

Can't learn something if I don't try...
A comment on hay. The only accurate way to assess the quality of hay is with an actual hay analysis. Just looking at and smelling the hay might tell you a little, but to get to the nutritional quality of the hay, there really isn't a substitution for a hay analysis. I've been to a couple workshops where this has been demonstrated with for example a dozen of so different lots/cuttings/fields of hay. The participants at the workshop are asked to rate the hay. The ratings by the participants end up being all over the place and never close to what the actual analysis is, which is revealed after everyone rates the hay. Nothing beats an analysis.

A comment on hay. The only accurate way to assess the quality of hay is with an actual hay analysis. Just looking at and smelling the hay might tell you a little, but to get to the nutritional quality of the hay, there really isn't a substitution for a hay analysis. I've been to a couple workshops where this has been demonstrated with for example a dozen of so different lots/cuttings/fields of hay. The participants at the workshop are asked to rate the hay. The ratings by the participants end up being all over the place and never close to what the actual analysis is, which is revealed after everyone rates the hay. Nothing beats an analysis.
I contacted extension last week about getting my hay tested actually. I'm right there with you.

Took the first 4 last night and dropped off at the processor. Looking forward to seeing them in the cooler this week. I'm excited and nervous. Lol.

Attachments

• 20230921_170038.jpg
    20230921_170038.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230921_165930.jpg
    20230921_165930.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20230921_165940.jpg
    20230921_165940.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 20230921_175756.jpg
    20230921_175756.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 13
Holding a steer for a 2 winters is pretty unrewarding. Otherwise grass finished is the way to go.

Hanging weights were 810, 793, 710, and 656.

Have two that will hit 850 I think. Most of the rest will be in the 750 range I think.

Taking two 13 year old cows. Gonna see how they do. Might be all ground and ribeyes and filets. Hoping they are tender and can be cut normally.

Latest posts