Grain vs Grass Finished

Help Support CattleToday:

I wouldn't think that is a typical Wagyu carcass weighing 1000#. Even if it's a crossbred or straight, it was fed a really long time to weigh that much. You sure can see the color difference in the grassfed.
It would be nice to know the AGE of each carcass. My guess is it takes longer to get a 700# grass fed than a 1000# Wagyu/cross grain fed.
Always nice to compare apples to apples. Time is money.

I wouldn't think that is a typical Wagyu carcass weighing 1000#. Even if it's a crossbred or straight, it was fed a really long time to weigh that much. You sure can see the color difference in the grassfed.
It would be nice to know the AGE of each carcass. My guess is it takes longer to get a 700# grass fed than a 1000# Wagyu/cross grain fed.
Always nice to compare apples to apples. Time is money.
We have a full blood Wagyu steer right now that will be harvested in January. Last weight was 932 @ 15 months. Last one we harvested was 1150 at 24 months.

"We have a full blood Wagyu steer right now that will be harvested in January. Last weight was 932 @ 15 months. Last one we harvested was 1150 at 24 months."

MCR - to clarify - last full blood Wagyu steer was 1150 - LIVE WEIGHT or HCW - at 24 months of age.

Me and my buddy Tom in S Georgia run about the same harvest numbers. Although he does a heck a lot more Wagyu than I do.
"Fullblood includes Akaushi.
With the Akaushi influence we have been able to get better weights and MUCH better milkers ( Jap BLK not good milkers ). Jap blk is marbling and tenderness. We have never went over 24 months.
I expect to hang one at 900 soon 🤞.... These 3 are our " influencers"😂

Screenshot_20220314-214056-347~2.pngU30265_1516220634.jpgScreenshot_20210726-180431.png

Yes, they have some meat on them! Wagyu is all hide and bones. Extra marbling just doesn't excite me at all. A choice steak is plenty marbling to me.
When you add no meat to the equation, I really am not interested. If you can market your carcasses under the Wagyu and grass fed "hypes" to get more money AND get more meat, you should be doing well.

For us marbling is important...but not as important as over doing the marbling.
I believe it has to have some marbling to give it that excellent taste.
But we going nowhere near A5, have no desire to eat steak that tastes like butter lol.
The lowest that I know anyone sells wagyu in this area is around $7,000 for a whole carcass and that includes $1,000 process allowance.

For us marbling is important...but not as important as over doing the marbling.
I believe it has to have some marbling to give it that excellent taste.
But we going nowhere near A5, have no desire to eat steak that tastes like butter lol.
The lowest that I know anyone sells wagyu in this area is around $7,000 for a whole carcass and that includes $1,000 process allowance.
Reminds me of when tulips were worth a lot of money, and Beany Babies... and lately mini-cows.

I figure at some point the Wagyu bubble will burst.

Latest posts