steer quit eating grain

Help Support CattleToday:

rw77

Reaction score
Ok peeps. I know its on here somewhere but Im tired of searching . heres my story
I pinned my angus steer up the first week of november and started him out on 1 1/2lb 15% commodity mix and 1 1/2lb cracked corn 2x a day and slowly increased the cracked corn 1/2lb week. Ive put 2 teaspoons armor hammer baking soda from the start. Im guessing his weight would be around 900lb. last week I upped the corn to 6lb to 1 1/2 commodity mix . 2 days ago he just quit eating his grain all together and is drinking very little water. his manure is not runny and He is eating his free choice hay. Ive had a trace mineral block out and even have loose mineral in one section of his bunk, and hes been dewormed. There is a RuralKing right up the road Ive been getting my feed from .This is only my third one Ive finished out. question is . Whats some best options to get him back on feed ? I know i can limit his hay but would like to keep him on it to help his digestion . My butcher date is in April . The weather has changed a little but not much . Northern Kentucky . Thanks

Ok peeps. I know its on here somewhere but Im tired of searching . heres my story
I pinned my angus steer up the first week of november and started him out on 1 1/2lb 15% commodity mix and 1 1/2lb cracked corn 2x a day and slowly increased the cracked corn 1/2lb week. Ive put 2 teaspoons armor hammer baking soda from the start. Im guessing his weight would be around 900lb. last week I upped the corn to 6lb to 1 1/2 commodity mix . 2 days ago he just quit eating his grain all together and is drinking very little water. his manure is not runny and He is eating his free choice hay. Ive had a trace mineral block out and even have loose mineral in one section of his bunk, and hes been dewormed. There is a RuralKing right up the road Ive been getting my feed from .This is only my third one Ive finished out. question is . Whats some best options to get him back on feed ? I know i can limit his hay but would like to keep him on it to help his digestion . My butcher date is in April . The weather has changed a little but not much . Northern Kentucky . Thanks
He knows what you're doing and he's holding a grudge.

Pull back on the corn and increase the baking soda for a week or two. Feed him twice a day instead of once. Do not limit his hay. It sounds like acidosis, but I am no expert. There are those on here who are much more knowledgeable on this than me.

PS... why are you adding a commodity mix at this point? If it is good quality hay, he is getting plenty of protein and you are now trying for excess energy so he retains fat to develop marbling.

I started out with commodity mix and started Out at 2 times a day. Thought Ive read where they say try around 2% body weight on 15% feed and up the corn. I've always mixed 2 teaspoons baking soda with the feed. Could it still be acidosis and what would be the best way to get him healed and back on grain ? He's was up to about 15lb a day

I don't really think it would be acidosis. Not enough grain for that. That is less than 1% of body weight. You can try upping the baking soda but will take a couple of days to equal out. Do you have a good vet close?

If he looks/acts normal, no fever. I'd say he's just being picky. Something has changed in the feed you are getting. Or weather change?
I'd probably limit his hay. A str that big doesn't need all the hay he wants. Clean out his bunk and give him his regular amount of feed. Limit his hay. 2-3 flakes a day is plenty to keep his gut right.
Otherwise it just sounds like you caught up to his appetite and he's happy eating hay.

When I have had one back up on me like that I take away the grain for a day to give them a chance to clean out their system, and then start back up.

Well everyone yesterday I dumped 2 boxes of arm and hammer baking soda in his feeder. He ate quite a bit of that yesterday, went out this morning and he was waiting on me. I gave him 1 1/2lb commodity mix and 3lb cracked corn and he ate it right up , plus hes drinking more water again. I guess I"ll gradually up his corn again and keep the baking soda free choice for him.
I love this forum . It gives everyone a chance to learn a few things. Thanks again to everyone that posted to my thread.

I've had them eating 20+ lbs a day and do that been then go right back eating like it never happened, I don't let it stress me too much. I figure their just like us, just don't have as much of an appetite sometimes. I also leave free choice hay and contribute some of it to them filling up on hay sometimes.

Latest posts