Took steer to butcher

Help Support CattleToday:

Springfieldsimm

Reaction score
I took a steer to butcher tonight. He was raised on a nurse cow with another heifer calf that I lost both cows. His weaning weight was 460 at 220 days old. He weighed 1446 tonight at 16 months old. We fed him about 12lbs a day of 12% protein grain mix and free choice hay from weaning to about 14months old then on a free choice grain on a self feeder for approx 45 days. Didn't get a very good picture but what are your guesses on hanging weight. IMG_0944.jpeg

I took a steer to butcher tonight. He was raised on a nurse cow with another heifer calf that I lost both cows. His weaning weight was 460 at 220 days old. He weighed 1446 tonight at 16 months old. We fed him about 12lbs a day of 12% protein grain mix and free choice hay from weaning to about 14months old then on a free choice grain on a self feeder for approx 45 days. Didn't get a very good picture but what are your guesses on hanging weight. View attachment 31479
I bet he yields pretty well. Going to guess 900# hot carcass weight.

Update. Hanging weight was 844 which is about 58%. I will try to post some pics of steaks once we get the meat. They asked us if we wanted to do any beef bacon. Has anyone ever had any done or heard about it?

If your scales are accurate, he should have weighed 890# (62%).
Great weight for 16 months. I push ours to kill at 12-13 months, so don't get quite that heavy live weight. Generally, avg 750# hanging wt.
But, you did a great job feeding him. Interested to see if he had enough fat on him.