Judas steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
Took our last steer of the year in this morning. He's one that was great and docile in a group but hated to be alone. Tried once to get him on the trailer and that was obviously not working, so rather than get him all worked up right before slaughter, I decided to have a buddy load first for him. He hopped right in, unloaded calmly, and buddy got a little trip off the farm and back.
Processors had no issue with it, an appreciated my steer's calmness after a crazy one that had been unloaded right before.
I know not practical for everyone, but it is an option to keep the intended beef calm. Thanks for reading

Smart thinking. Always nice when things go smoothly with loading and unloading like that, and they can stay calm til the end.

Smart thinking. Always nice when things go smoothly with loading and unloading like that, and they can stay calm til the end.
That is always my goal throughout their life. Let them be cattle, but also make them used to being handled so they don't get worked up being around people.

My processor let's us bring them in the evening/night before. They get all night to settle down. It's the next best thing to killing on the farm I think.

The stress of transport can sure affect the eatability of an animal.

Last edited:
My processor let's us bring them in the evening/night before. They get all night to settle down. It's the next best thing to killing on the farm I think.

The stress of transport can sure affect the eatability of an animal.
We can do that as an option too, but if I take them the morning of, they hang with their buddies up until loading, then an hour ride and done. I've done it both ways. Seem to be pretty calm and not worrying about the steer in the next pen taking them in the morning.

I totally agree with you. When people purchase an animal from me (show steer, bull calf or heifer calf), I ask them to haul one of their other animals to my place so the single animal has company. I have had super calm, sweet calves end up nut jobs after a ride to their new home. Have never had a problem when there was a companion.

Latest posts