Finishing 5 fall steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
5 steers born between 9/8/22 and 9/22/22. We ran them thru chute yesterday. Weight average 931# (900# - 952#). Getting about 18# whole shell corn and 1# Sure Champ Ration Builder, free choice grass hay and grass/weeds pasture (sacrifice winter lot).

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1688216566052.jpg
    FB_IMG_1688216566052.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 38
Biozyme Ration Builder is $36/50# bag - 32% protein. Look for a Biozyme dealer in your area. Might be cheaper. We have to pay shipping from Missouri to dealer. My nephew became a dealer because we couldn't get anyone in our area that handled the minerals (ConceptAid)

They have 2 kill dates in October. We shoot for at least a 750# carcass weight ( They are weaned in late March. Started on Whole Oats & WSC at 1% BW + Ration Builder. We will continue to increase their corn if they keep cleaning up and decreasing oats. But, 2.5% is usually pretty maxed out with free choice grass hay.
Nephew is the BioZyme dealer and knows the speel (LOL). I just know it is 32% protein, has Amaferm (utilize what they eat better) and vitamins & minerals - although we also provide free choice loose mineral.
Here's what BioZyme says:
A pelleted base mix for cattle with 32% protein along with vitamins and minerals for diet fortification.
KEY BENEFITS

• Contains AO-Biotics® Amaferm®, a prebiotic research-proven to enhance digestibility.
  • Customizable to build complete creep, growing and finishing rations by adjusting inclusion rates.
  • Supports optimal animal performance during all stages of life

Last year we struggled to get our fall steers to eat enough. - and our show string kept struggling with scours. Couldn't figure it out.
Finally, I thought about mycotoxins in the corn. I called the supplier and asked them to test their bin of corn. They claimed "all" their corn was tested. They immediately switched bins and all my problems disappeared. Hmmm - seems to me they did not test the corn! Only place around here that can deliver & blow into my bin.
I learned if we have problems, "I" will test the corn.
Last year all the steers were weighed on 6/1 vs 6/30 this year. Weights were 575# to 700#. They made up for lost time. Started growing & eating. Had to slide a couple into December kill dates, but they all worked out. I learned my lesson. When cattle refuse to eat much - check the corn!
I've posted on here several different times that we finish our steers on WSC in 12-13 months of age. Nephew took the pic, so I thought I would SHOW you how they are doing. They don't have monster WW because they are raised during our rough winter months on mom's milk & baleage.

Last year we struggled to get our fall steers to eat enough. - and our show string kept struggling with scours. Couldn't figure it out.
Finally, I thought about mycotoxins in the corn. I called the supplier and asked them to test their bin of corn. They claimed "all" their corn was tested. They immediately switched bins and all my problems disappeared. Hmmm - seems to me they did not test the corn! Only place around here that can deliver & blow into my bin.
I learned if we have problems, "I" will test the corn.
Last year all the steers were weighed on 6/1 vs 6/30 this year. Weights were 575# to 700#. They made up for lost time. Started growing & eating. Had to slide a couple into December kill dates, but they all worked out. I learned my lesson. When cattle refuse to eat much - check the corn!
I've posted on here several different times that we finish our steers on WSC in 12-13 months of age. Nephew took the pic, so I thought I would SHOW you how they are doing. They don't have monster WW because they are raised during our rough winter months on mom's milk & baleage.
I appreciate the thread. I've borrowed a good bit of your method on feeding them out, but confess I wait til they're bigger to start, which is probably costing me more money in the long run if I'm honest with myself. They're definitely here we'll past 12 or 13 months of age.

I figure we are wasting our time if a carcass isn't 700 pounds minimum.

I've not thought much about the corn problem. I'll have to talk to my corn guy and ask if they check for that. I don't think they do. Had an issue last fall with a group not doing like I expected.

In my case, I only have space to separate steers to be fed in the summer. So, fall born are the only ones I can feed and they have to get GONE before needing to feed hay.
My processor is a huge deer processor, so I cannot do any beef in November.
Last year was tricky having to feed into December.

The processor is losing money if he is not including that weight, because he gets paid by the pound of hanging weight. My guy never did either (years ago) and I told him he was cutting up and packaging it for customers for free. Also, he was screwing me out of pounds of food I raised. He quickly changed his program to include it.
I really don't know what the average HLT would total. Does anyone else?

The processor is losing money if he is not including that weight, because he gets paid by the pound of hanging weight. My guy never did either (years ago) and I told him he was cutting up and packaging it for customers for free. Also, he was screwing me out of pounds of food I raised. He quickly changed his program to include it.
I really don't know what the average HLT would total. Does anyone else?
Ours pays a rendering fee if it gets hauled off, so I suppose it saves them extra weight for haul-off (making it a wash to give it back in packages?) they will charge for hide and whole head. This particular processor also has a minimum fee, but do a heck of a good job and are USDA. My cut-out% is usually 72-74%, but HCW has been around 55%. Steers aren't pushed hard though.

Latest posts