Dressing % and processor differences

Help Support CattleToday:

I have had a terrible time finding a processer that does a good job. The ones that are really good have a waiting list of at least a year. One we used a couple of years ago, the meat came back tainted. My mom was a meat cutter and she said if there is any problem with the cooling procedure (not enough room for the air to circulate in the cooler, for instance), it will go into the fat. So the hamburger did not smell good when it was cooking.

One thing I know for sure, never take beef into a plant that also cuts wild game during hunting season.

I just had a couple done and the lady at the butcher shop told me that they don't want them hanging long b/c the cooler didn't have enough air circulating. I usually have them hung for 3 weeks but she said no way that the hamburger would taste and smell bad.

I just had a couple done and the lady at the butcher shop told me that they don't want them hanging long b/c the cooler didn't have enough air circulating. I usually have them hung for 3 weeks but she said no way that the hamburger would taste and smell bad.
Sounds right to me.
This meat that was tainted hung 3 weeks. So that sure could have been the problem.
The producer came and traded me hamburger with some he had, and it was still not totally without taint, but was better than what we had. I thought the processer should have taken care of it. I called him and he called the producer, who traded us hamburger. Strange that he always has his beef hang 3 weeks. I'll never do that again. We usually do 2 weeks. Producer wanted 3 weeks.
Thanks for your reply.

Sounds right to me.
This meat that was tainted hung 3 weeks. So that sure could have been the problem.
The producer came and traded me hamburger with some he had, and it was still not totally without taint, but was better than what we had. I thought the processer should have taken care of it. I called him and he called the producer, who traded us hamburger. Strange that he always has his beef hang 3 weeks. I'll never do that again. We usually do 2 weeks. Producer wanted 3 weeks.
Thanks for your reply.
There is an art to hanging meat for three weeks... and apparently a lot of processors have never learned how to do it.

And the meat is going to taste different. That's the point. But there is a difference between well done aging and "taint".

There is an art to hanging meat for three weeks... and apparently a lot of processors have never learned how to do it.

And the meat is going to taste different. That's the point. But there is a difference between well done aging and "taint".
I doubt many processors have the ability/ technology to maintain the optimal conditions (humidity, temp, air flow) to hang for 3 weeks.

I doubt many processors have the ability/ technology to maintain the optimal conditions (humidity, temp, air flow) to hang for 3 weeks.
It's been done well since God was in diapers. Low tech requirements.

Approximately 34 to 36 degrees, relative humidity at 85 to 90 percent and an air flow of 15 to 20 linear feet per minute at the surface of the product. The aging room should be clean and free of all off-odors. And the process is naturally forgiving if there are some minor fluctuations.

The important part is aging the right carcass. It has to have an appropriate fat cover.

Last edited:

Latest posts