Another 5 to processor

Help Support CattleToday:

Jacob

Reaction score
We took another 5 to the processor on Monday if this week. The average hanging weight was 736. The low 705 and high 778. I'm pretty pleased with that. I also got the online store up and running in just trying to figure out the best way to sell everything. Most likely will just do packages with a flat rate.

Check out our Facebook page gizmo angus beef.

Have you locked down shipping costs? We looked at shipping for our beef cuts, but to send a package (2 days) was almost as much as the beef, so we went back to just local pickup and delivery to certain areas at certain times. Shipping would be great if there was a low cost way to do it.

Have you locked down shipping costs? We looked at shipping for our beef cuts, but to send a package (2 days) was almost as much as the beef, so we went back to just local pickup and delivery to certain areas at certain times. Shipping would be great if there was a low cost way to do it.
I have thought about shipping but I think I have enough business in our area that I won't have to do that. My goal right now is to do 100 head a year and I think I can sell them locally with no issues but it will take me several years to reach that number. If I get bigger than that I may look into it but I would have to be retired from my office job.

I have even thought about putting in a finishing barn. Based on my research it looks like it would be much easier and you can control things a lot better.

The 5 ranged in weight 9 days prior to processing from 1225 to 1275. I was out of town when they went so I had to get a weight earlier than I wanted. I expected them all to gain at least another 25 pounds.

Attachments

• 35885C35-F647-43B1-B9D3-292BB7F220B2.jpeg
    35885C35-F647-43B1-B9D3-292BB7F220B2.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 27ECBCDF-459D-4B61-B32D-A1B1132C8379.jpeg
    27ECBCDF-459D-4B61-B32D-A1B1132C8379.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
  • F957827C-0902-4D89-BD8D-9C6856B553DC.jpeg
    F957827C-0902-4D89-BD8D-9C6856B553DC.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 13
I have even thought about putting in a finishing barn. Based on my research it looks like it would be much easier and you can control things a lot better.
Yes,100% absolutely! Deep pack bed or slats? There are advantages to both.

Yes,100% absolutely! Deep pack bed or slats? There are advantages to both.
I have looked at both. But i want to make a road trip and look at other operations and talk to farmers that have both. Just looking at them on Google I like the slats. Either way with fertilizer prices the way they are it sure could help having your own fertilizer to put back on the pastures.

I have looked at both. But i want to make a road trip and look at other operations and talk to farmers that have both. Just looking at them on Google I like the slats. Either way with fertilizer prices the way they are it sure could help having your own fertilizer to put back on the pastures.
I love our slated building. The cattle stay clean year round. The down fall is the investment in manure handling equipment, and your pretty much committed to feeding out cattle in them. A deep pack building you could calve in or use for equipment storage of you ever quit feeding cattle.

That's a good idea, and worth the investment i think.

@Jacob the first 6 steers had an average hanging weight that was 59%. Did these 5 average about the same as the first ones?
I have not had time to do the math and it will be a little off because I weighed them 8 days before they were processed. I'm assuming they would have gained a minimum of 25 pounds

We are feeding a 14% feed called CPC developer from the Alabama co op. Then we top dress it with about 7 pounds cracked corn per head and started that about 45 days or so before processing date.

We took another 5 to the processor on Monday if this week. The average hanging weight was 736. The low 705 and high 778.
Good job! In fine tuning, I'd shoot for another 25 lbs hanging and do it by starting to feed corn a week or 2 earlier for more days on feed without increasing age to slaughter. As I said, you're doing a good job.