Delivered 2 to the processor yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

crooked horn

Reaction score
I dropped these 2 heifers at the processor yesterday. Since I am not good at remembering to get pictures, the pics of the horned heifer are about a month old, but my wife did get 1 good pic of the other one in the trailer.
For those that are interested in the numbers, they were on whole corn for 177 days. They were given a limited amount of hay when fed twice daily and finished up eating about 20 lbs of corn with a couple pounds of bull ration to keep them interested and 3/4 pound of ADM beef trate each per day.
I should have the weights from the processor on Tuesday and I should have steak pics by the end of the month. Any thoughts on finish or guesses on dressing percentage? For reference I would guess live weight at between 1100 and 1200 lbs.

Attachments

• IMG-0581.jpg
    IMG-0581.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG-0630.jpg
    IMG-0630.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG-1069.jpg
    IMG-1069.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 58
Okay @crooked horn I make a guess, it's hard to tell weight in pictures due to size reference but live weight is lower than you estimated by at least 200 lbs., dressing percentage will be low, around 50%.
How far off am I?

You are correct I did over estimate weights by around 100 lbs. What can I say I don't have much experience with fat cattle. These were not real big framed heifers and I am satisfied with that. Processor was happy with the carcass, so we will see what the end result is when I get some steaks back.

weights: horned 1031 live, 561 hanging 54%
polled 1038 live, 554 hanging 53%

One thing I've found is, when ya carry feed to em every day, they still seem/look like little calves even when they get real big!
That reminds me. When I was a kid my grandpa used to tell me that if I picked a calf up every day from the day it was born that I would be able to pick that calf up as a yearling. I didn't ever test that theory out but it seems sound.

That reminds me. When I was a kid my grandpa used to tell me that if I picked a calf up every day from the day it was born that I would be able to pick that calf up as a yearling. I didn't ever test that theory out but it seems sound.
Wrestling coach told me the same thing too! And yes it's easily accomplished with "American" ingenuity...... :)
(plus a rope, pulley and small tractor) and you can even take off a few weeks in between lifts.

Last edited:
My grandparents milked cows until they couldn't anymore.
One of their neighbors wanted to make a bull out of a bull calf that their brown swiss had, it was about 1/4 Brahman.
They use to turn the calf on the cow for a minute, then tie a rope around the calf's neck drag if over to a post and tie it until granny got what milk she wanted then turn the calf lose so it could finish nursing.
They left the calf on the cow until it was about 700 lbs , I remember granny dragging that big calf to the post , it was a little struggle but she got it done. Lol

Latest posts