First 6 steers going to processor Monday

Help Support CattleToday:

Jacob, I'm really surprised at the dressing % ??? Why so low? They didn't look globby fat to me. Or super heavy boned - or light muscled?? Did you have them super heavy fed up when you weighed them?

Jacob, I'm really surprised at the dressing % ??? Why so low? They didn't look globby fat to me. Or super heavy boned - or light muscled?? Did you have them super heavy fed up when you weighed them?
No we weighed them Saturday morning before feeding. They weren't overly done at all. But this has been about the normal percentage I get from this processor. Not sure if it's our cattle or the processor. Even the kids fair steers were about the same percentage and they weren't our breeding.

Ask him if he is weighing HOT carcass weight or cold and also ask if he is including heart, liver and tongue. That is a very low % for quality catlle. I wouldn't trust my HCW.
I'll ask that. I do know it's HCW. He showed me the process and where they weighed it. I have a feeling that didn't include the organs but i will be sure to ask.

My processor never included the organs - I explained to him that he and I were losing money on that deal. I raised the HLT just like the rest of the animal. Whether they took them or not was their choice, they were going to pay for them.

My processor never included the organs - I explained to him that he and I were losing money on that deal. I raised the HLT just like the rest of the animal. Whether they took them or not was their choice, they were going to pay for them.
I don't charge by hanging weight. I just charge flat fees. I find that the consumer don't understand live weight, hanging weight, or take home weight. I also don't like the idea of having to Waite to get the hanging weight before I get my money. So we charge $3300 for a whole, $1650 for a half and $900 for a $1/4. I'm going up some next year but I find most people like it that way because there is no surprises. I'll make adjustments if I need to if it's a small calf so I'm fair with my customers. I'm paid in full prior to taking to processor and have cut sheets in hand so the processor isn't waiting on my. As you said in a previous post we as farmers should make it easy on them so they will do us favors if needed by getting an extra one in here and there.

My goal hanging weight is 750 pounds that I base my price off of.

Jacob,
We have the same basic dressing percentages on our cattle going to Carolina, AL. I personally think it is the haul that does alot of the shrinking. Your haul is ~100 miles one way, ours is ~90 miles to Carolina. The HCW are perfect and consistent, keeping them looking that good all the way thru is the trick.. If you dont mind can you tell me what your feed is costing you per ton? is that delievered? Nice steers.

Jacob,
We have the same basic dressing percentages on our cattle going to Carolina, AL. I personally think it is the haul that does alot of the shrinking. Your haul is ~100 miles one way, ours is ~90 miles to Carolina. The HCW are perfect and consistent, keeping them looking that good all the way thru is the trick.. If you dont mind can you tell me what your feed is costing you per ton? is that delievered? Nice steers.
We been paying $330 a ton delivered. We hand feed and at the end they were getting 315 pounds for 14 head. The last 4 weeks I adjusted the cpc to 215 pounds and added 100 pounds of cracked corn.

$3,300 for a whole is very pricy, but I suppose if you can get it that's great. Up here people pay in the neighbourhood of $2,100 USD for a whole beef from the local small plant that buys Hutterite fats for processing. Now, I guess I should qualify that by saying that that has been the price for a long time and may have went up recently.

I don't charge a delivery fee it's all included. I pick up from processor and bring back to central location for pick up.

I sure don't want to be the cheapest and I will be the first to tell my customers that. I feel people will pay for quality Angus Beef. You must manage them and be intentional in what your goals are. I do pay all the basic processing.

Haha, whenever I happen to order a steak in a restaurant I am always very clear that I raise cattle and do not want an Angus steak. I just enjoy the reaction.
We went out to a pretty high end steak house to celebrate one night. Every steak on the menu had certified Angus next to it except the ribeye and the porter house. I asked the very young waiter what the deal was. He went a asked the cook them returned triumphantly with an answer. He said " the menu isn't updated. The ribeye is CAB and the cook said no one can tell the difference anyway! "

If I had the choice between "quality angus beef" and a rodeo steer, I am definitely going with the angus. I believe that some breeds are better marbled and more tender than some other breeds. Pretty sure that is the case, independent of marketing. Not saying that angus is superior in all cases, but I don't think all breeds are equal.

If I had the choice between "quality angus beef" and a rodeo steer, I am definitely going with the angus. I believe that some breeds are better marbled and more tender than some other breeds. Pretty sure that is the case, independent of marketing. Not saying that angus is superior in all cases, but I don't think all breeds are equal.
I believe that any chunk of meat that grades Prime (Canada) is going to be an excellent eating experience regardless of what colour the animal's hair was.

Latest posts