Fire Sweep Simmental Ranch

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep":2lfa7iqt said:
<snip>

From the pictures I've seen, I like FSR's cattle, but I don't quite see why "big boned" is so desirable? I don't want toothpick legs, but it seems from a butcher's point of view heavy boned would equal more waste... personally I like them a little more moderate in bone.. knuckles like bowling balls isn't going to feed me

+1

WalnutCrest":25d3ew3d said:
Nesikep":25d3ew3d said:
<snip>

From the pictures I've seen, I like FSR's cattle, but I don't quite see why "big boned" is so desirable? I don't want toothpick legs, but it seems from a butcher's point of view heavy boned would equal more waste... personally I like them a little more moderate in bone.. knuckles like bowling balls isn't going to feed me

+1

There is a relationship between bone and muscle. In anatomy, every muscle has an origin and insertion. It takes space on the bone for each of those points. Any organism that is fine boned can pack on a limited amount of muscle mass relative to a more heavy boned individual. It applies also to human body builders. You can grow what is called the "belly" of the muscle but that has limits without steroid usage. It takes good bone surface to produce muscle mass which means more steaks in cattle.

inyati13":1tw05owx said:
WalnutCrest":1tw05owx said:
Nesikep":1tw05owx said:
<snip>

+1

There is a relationship between bone and muscle. In anatomy, every muscle has an origin and insertion. It takes space on the bone for each of those points. Any organism that is fine boned can pack on a limited amount of muscle mass relative to a more heavy boned individual. It applies also to human body builders. You can grow what is called the "belly" of the muscle but that has limits without steroid usage. It takes good bone surface to produce muscle mass which means more steaks in cattle.

That was one of the most informative posts I've ever read on here. Thank you Ron.

Latest posts