Fire Sweep Simmental Ranch

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
As with any endeavor, every important pursuit requires established goals and objectives. In SW Missouri, one cattle lady has reached for the golden ring and grasped it. One need only look at the herd of 25 mature cows at the Fire Sweep Simmental Ranch (FSSR) to observe that she has achieved her goals and objectives. The herd is a uniform set of moderate framed, big boned, docile, thick, deep, muscular beasts. I have spent enough time there to know most of their cow's names. It is difficult to tell them apart. FSSR has raised most of these cows on the farm in the short 8 years they have operated.

I recently received a comment from my friend Tennessee Tuxedo about my recent visit to FSSR. I commented about the condition of the FSSR livestock and TT replied, "yes, but they feed a lot of grain." No they don't. Their cattle are maintained on grass and hay. They have a string of about 8 head that they select from the herd to employ in the show business that are fed grain. The mature cows and calves are raised and maintained on pasture and hay. It is remarkable that a herd this large is pastured on 40 acres. Intensively managed pasture is essential. It is nothing short of genius and effort that a herd of 25 mature cows, their calves, and a string of about 8 show animals are maintained in moderate to high condition on such a paucity of pasture. FSSR does not pamper their cows. Their cows are standing around a hay ring like most cows are. Unless pampering means you feed a good mineral, vaccinate, worm, etc.

It is impossible to write this without appearing to pander and patronize, but these are my candid observations. FSSR has grasped for the golden ring and achieved it. Do they chase "show ring genetics"? Yes. But their cattle have the traits and characteristics that every commercial cattle producer covets: Moderate framed, big bones, sound, deep, wide, muscular, gentle cattle that are easy keepers. The crop of calves on her cows right now is nothing short of OUTSTANDING!

Congratulations to the genius of the manager/planner and behind every genius is a great grunt man.

Inyati, I guess I need to buy a heifer and see what happens. I've been thinking about doing this experiment since I started back in the cattle business. I figure I could double my money within a year . All it would take is a few pictures a week posted on this site of the animals downfall. What you and a bunch of other folks can't understand, is 10-14+% hay is better than feed. Right now my cows are looking good, but their heading to the woods for the next few months. I figure that their going to lose 5-7% of their body condition. And a cow that's never been pushed, doesn't know how to make a living working. You folks have beautiful cattle, but their not easy doing.

We are humbled here by your generous comments. Our passion is genetics, and striving to make a cow that can not only survive, but thrive in our fescue rich environment. Because of my goal, we will never win any big shows. We do well in local and state level shows, but beyond that our genetics are just too small. Our heifers are usually the smallest in the classes at national level competitions, but that is because our girls have to come home and make it in the pasture after their first two years as show heifers. And they have to calve by the time they are two. That puts a lot of pressure on our show heifers. Unlike other show cattle, our heifers spend their summers in the pasture, not in a barn. They are not under fans or coolers, and are fed a modest amount of grain to keep a show heifer figure ;-)
Highgrit, my girls may not survive in your environment, but they we're bred to survive in my environment. And they do it well. Fescue is not an easy grass to raise cattle on, but our genetics thrive in it or they are sent to the auction. Every cow must calve every year, and many have not made it because of the fescue and their genetics are no longer in our herd. Our winter hay is also fescue, and we try to get it cut early so we sit at 10% protein. They must be fertile, and stick to AI or an embryo, or they leave. They are not pampered. They are genetically selected to work in our environment. I was not lucky and gifted land and cattle; we bought our land (45 acres raw land), put in pastures and waters, built a home, shop, barn, and built our herd, one cow at a time. All with our monthly paychecks from 8-5 jobs. We started in 2007, and have built slowly from there. We have worked hard to get where we are at. All I need now is another 50 acres so I can continue to build our herd....
And unless your cows are raised on fescue, I doubt your cattle would survive in my environment.

highgrit":3mi4vcft said:
Inyati, I guess I need to buy a heifer and see what happens. I've been thinking about doing this experiment since I started back in the cattle business. I figure I could double my money within a year . All it would take is a few pictures a week posted on this site of the animals downfall. What you and a bunch of other folks can't understand, is 10-14+% hay is better than feed. Right now my cows are looking good, but their heading to the woods for the next few months. I figure that their going to lose 5-7% of their body condition. And a cow that's never been pushed, doesn't know how to make a living working. You folks have beautiful cattle, but their not easy doing.

Congratulations. You have great cattle. Are they better than FSSR's cattle? I don't have any data to demonstrate that one way or the other. The question is this: Would her cattle produce more pounds of beef if they were managed under the same circumstances that you manage your current herd?

To go another step, would the additional pounds of beef produced by increasing the input above what you vaguely elude to above, improve profits? Personally, my intuition does not lead me to believe that your cows are superior just because you limit your inputs. In fact, I would not be surprised if FSSR's cattle under your circumstances would not wean off more pounds of beef.

I got an email from a friend who found it "unbelievable" that FSSR could put 25 pairs on 40 acres of pasture. Maybe I got that wrong so I am going to wait for FSSR to respond. All I can witness to is that I have been on the FSSR twice, both times I spent a week helping attend to the cattle with the owners while they performed their daily chores. I did not observe any supplementation of the cow/calf pairs. I did see the small string of show heifers and the odd show bull being grained.

BTW: Considering infrastructure, house, hay field, etc. The actual useable pasture is less than 40 acres.

Quite the CT award ceremony here. Ron if/when you ever make it up here please keep it private. :)

I don't need the cattle paparazzi around

FSR, I didn't address your cows specifically. Just the way some folks classifies easy doing cows, on hay with no feed. And you might be surprised what my cows can make it on. Most of my cattle originated on fescue pastures and hay. Check out Hil-Vue Farms, very easy doing cattle that work for me. Sometimes we leave our cows for a week or more to fend for themselves. I want cattle that work for me, not the other way around. You have some beautiful stock that anyone would be proud to own. But what impresses me more is your family, my daughter wants nothing to do with the cows or farming for some reason.

Ron asked me if he could post a comment on here about our operation, and I hesitated because I do not like to toot our horn. I was raised by a humble man, who taught us early on that you let your actions speak, or the proof is in the pudding. For our case, that is my cattle, my passion.
Yes, we have 25 mature cows and all are either 3-n-1, or getting ready to calve. We also have 12 calves, 5 heifers (yearlings this spring), a yearling bull, a spring steer and June bull calf. But my numbers are too high for our land, thus why we are selling breds right now. We have been feeding hay since December, and for the first time I had to buy hay this year because I could not stockpile. But we manage intensive graze our land, moving the group every day to a new section (when we have grass, which I hope is soon!). We use poly wire and step in poles for the sections, making it easy to set up and break down. We fertilize once in the spring and once in the fall. We soil test every three years, and replant a pasture every year on a rotational basis. We try to add in a diluter when we drill, like clover and orchard, but we have had little luck with the orchard sticking around past a year. Annual ryegrass seems to do well, if we let it go to seed in June.
I might also note that our county is the number one county for cow/calf pairs in the state, and that Missouri is number two in the US. They recommend 2 acres per pair out here, but we can push it because of our grazing system.
God has blessed our cattle, and our operation. Our conceptions are high, our cattle are healthy, and our calves look good. But we put a lot of man hours in our operation, so our kids can learn about work ethics, show something they are proud of, and make money to help pay for their college education.

highgrit":1xmd8p1w said:
FSR, I didn't address your cows specifically. Just the way some folks classifies easy doing cows, on hay with no feed. And you might be surprised what my cows can make it on. Most of my cattle originated on fescue pastures and hay. Check out Hil-Vue Farms, very easy doing cattle that work for me. Sometimes we leave our cows for a week or more to fend for themselves. I want cattle that work for me, not the other way around. You have some beautiful stock that anyone would be proud to own. But what impresses me more is your family, my daughter wants nothing to do with the cows or farming for some reason.

Ouch, but I suspect we are hitting the same path highgrit. Our oldest is spending her first year in college, and though her major is in ag, she has wondered far from the farm and never comes home to help when she can. I pray that it is just a phase, but of my three children, she is the one I suspect that will not come back to farming. Only time will tell. But our middle daughter seems to enjoy it, and is going to AI school this spring, at 13, and is excited about being able to help in that area. That gives me hope.
We have put blood, sweat, and lots of money into this adventure. And if all my children learn is work ethics and responsibility, then I have done my job raising them. My ultimate desire is for at least one of them to take our cattle operation when I am too old, and continue with the genetic evolution we are trying to complete. But if I end up when I get old, just throwing a bull out there twice a year, and watching new calves run and play from my bedroom window, then I have accomplished much. What can make one more happy than new calves, playing in green grass? :tiphat:

A neighbor has 2 daughters, 1 graduated highschool last year the other is a senior this year. The oldest has never had any interest in the farm or the cattle. The younger one has been helping hay since she was old enough to see over the tractor steering wheel. She's been raising cattle for 4H/FFA for years. 2 years ago she dumped a boy friend because he didn;t have any interest in farming or the cattle. The only issues she has is that she doesn;t have enough strength to jockey some of the hay equipment to hook it up. She just bought to registered yearling Hereford heifers and when I volunteered to AI them for her she asked how she could learn to do it.

AllForage":2q8goigs said:
Quite the CT award ceremony here. Ron if/when you ever make it up here please keep it private. :)

I don't need the cattle paparazzi around

I told you, I cannot express my observations without the appearance of being patronizing. I intend this to be an expos'e of a progressive cattle management operation that employs good genetic selection and breeding practices such as AI and embryo implant to produce cattle that grow fast and carry lots of pounds of beef on an economy of inputs. That FSSR should reap some credit is only fair. There are plenty of advocates that preach the virtues of the other side of that coin. Highgrit's contribution above rings of that and I appreciate his involvement in this thread.

I hope I get to your place. There are several places I would like to visit. :D

I have only seen pictures of the cattle at FSSR but I know there are good animals and get the job done. I like seeing all the animals on CT. Some look better then others. The bottom line is if the cow is making money, you're doing something right. Regardless of your location. What I do in central Wisconsin would maybe crazy talk to someone south of Ill. and Iowa but it does the job. So it's different everywhere. It's not all right or wrong but it's all gray area. I'm personally looking forward to another grazing season. Working on some of the more intensive grazing practices I started last year. We're off to a good start with our AI calves with quit a few slotted for replacements.
:2cents: :2cents:

It's amazing what intensive grazing can do for stocking density ...

We are about 2x the recommended density and are able to do it because of how we manage the grass.

I believe 1 cow to 2 acres is perfectly possible.. because I do it.. we have between 50-60 acres of arable land, and I have 27 expectant mothers, 1 bull, 1 big steer, one yearling steer, and 3 replacement heifers, and 3 late summer calves... and I still sell some hay... I'm pushing my comfort zone right now and will keep it at this level (give or take a couple) until I see how sustainable it is over several years... I usually have paddocks of about 10 days worth of food, I could theoretically do 1 day paddocks, but I wouldn't be doing much else.. Around here just keeping the place wet when it's 105F in the shade and half the water from the sprinklers doesn't even hit the ground is a challenge, and takes several hours a day.

From the pictures I've seen, I like FSR's cattle, but I don't quite see why "big boned" is so desirable? I don't want toothpick legs, but it seems from a butcher's point of view heavy boned would equal more waste... personally I like them a little more moderate in bone.. knuckles like bowling balls isn't going to feed me

Ohrmundt Simmentals":175a3add said:
I have only seen pictures of the cattle at FSSR but I know there are good animals and get the job done. I like seeing all the animals on CT. Some look better then others. The bottom line is if the cow is making money, you're doing something right. Regardless of your location. What I do in central Wisconsin would maybe crazy talk to someone south of Ill. and Iowa but it does the job. So it's different everywhere. It's not all right or wrong but it's all gray area. I'm personally looking forward to another grazing season. Working on some of the more intensive grazing practices I started last year. We're off to a good start with our AI calves with quit a few slotted for replacements.
:2cents: :2cents:

AGREE. Everyone pursues this vocation for different reasons and with different goals and objectives in mind.

The operations I see and visit are all different. I have visited cattle operations that have national notoriety. What strikes me about FSSR is that Kris accomplishes her goals and objectives and fulfills the reason for her pursuit of this vocation. She stated that well above. It satisfies her passion for cattle and provides a lifestyle for her family.

Too often IMO, we make this about the breed, the money, the management practices, etc. What I see everywhere I go: It is more importantly a lifestyle. I bet 90 % of the people in this business are not making enough money to justify it economically. It revolves around loving the LIFESTYLE.

Ron, I think you hit the nail on the head. It's the lifestyle for sure, and some dang good folks to boot. I can only dream to have cattle that look like y'alls some day. I enjoy the lifestyle but I'm not willing to give up my lifestyle for my cows. I have places to go and people to annoy.

highgrit":16merx0o said:
Ron, I think you hit the nail on the head. It's the lifestyle for sure, and some dang good folks to boot. I can only dream to have cattle that look like y'alls some day. I enjoy the lifestyle but I'm not willing to give up my lifestyle for my cows. I have places to go and people to annoy.

:lol:
I agree. Annoying people is a rewarding pursuit. ;-)

inyati13":1s4jrzli said:
What I see everywhere I go: It is more importantly a lifestyle. I bet 90 % of the people in this business are not making enough money to justify it economically. It revolves around loving the LIFESTYLE.

You're right. For much of the time I've had cattle they haven't been much more than a tax deductible hobby. While I've made a little money most years, if I figured anything for my time it would be difficult to show a profit. I just enjoy working with them, and would feel lost if I didn't have them.

Rafter S":2c02hhn7 said:
inyati13":2c02hhn7 said:
What I see everywhere I go: It is more importantly a lifestyle. I bet 90 % of the people in this business are not making enough money to justify it economically. It revolves around loving the LIFESTYLE.

You're right. For much of the time I've had cattle they haven't been much more than a tax deductible hobby. While I've made a little money most years, if I figured anything for my time it would be difficult to show a profit. I just enjoy working with them, and would feel lost if I didn't have them.

That's me. Most folks around here refer to my operation as the Sanford & Son cattle co. You'd really have to see it to understand but I enjoy it and life is short.

Latest posts