Fire ant mound killer. Got something that actually works?

Help Support CattleToday:

All the Orthene I saw was 50% active acephate ingredient and I wanted something stronger. :D

I knew I recognized that smell--must be what they were using on the dry land cotton out north of San Angelo.

I read that dumping your used coffee grounds will either kill them or make them move out. I am going to try it because I have some ants move into my raised beds.

I am reluctant to use chemicals not labeled for vegetables in my garden.

Bengal Ant Killer powder works well on the mounds in the yard. It can be hard to find though :/

TexasBred":2z120hwi said:
3waycross":2z120hwi said:
Howdyjabo":2z120hwi said:
Its fun to watch when you feed them grits. they spend all day hauling them in and then spend the whole next day hauling them out.

I haven't noticed that the grits worked. What are they supposed to do.

Nothing....the claim is that they eat them and they swell up inside them and die. Adult ants do not eat solids and if they could I doubt they would choose grits.

The next time my wife tells me that grits are for supper I'll be try to convince her that I might swell up just like the ants and pass on them ;-)

chippie":1nk9snir said:
I read that dumping your used coffee grounds will either kill them or make them move out. I am going to try it because I have some ants move into my raised beds.

I am reluctant to use chemicals not labeled for vegetables in my garden.

Bengal Ant Killer powder works well on the mounds in the yard. It can be hard to find though :/
Another myth that unfortunately won't work Chippie.
http://www.hpj.com/archives/2011/may11/ ... 1PIXsr.cfm

Lorsban will kill them but it's a restricted use insecticide labeled for ag only. I have sprayed it over potato rows after planting slips and the ants are gone in a couple days. Works good on cutworms too.

I heard somebody say if you take a bunch of ants from one mound and dump them on another mound they'll kill each other.

greybeard":2osfyuou said:
I bought and tried a product called Surrender--contains 75% Acephate. Applied it yesterday after the sun came out.
Less than 1 day later, I have mounds full of dead fire ants. Not empty mounds--mounds with dead ones--thousands and thousands of dead ants.
Down side--it stinks like the dickens. I mean STINKS! I could smell it thru the unopened can when I was on my way home from the hardware store and had to stop and put it in the back of the truck. Had to hold the can down wind when I was spooning it out on the mounds. It ain't cheap, but it seems to work.
(not for crop areas, and I don't think I would use it where cattle could get to it, but that's just me.)

Did I say it stinks?

GB, did you just sprinkle this around the mound or on the mound itself? I got a little ant problem on a farm I leased.

I use a product called Talstar, I buy it in 32 oz container and mix it with 32 gallons of water in my spray rig, spray entire yard. You WILL NOT have fire ants for a year, I do it every spring.

midTN_Brangusman":ubcpsz4t said:
greybeard":ubcpsz4t said:
I bought and tried a product called Surrender--contains 75% Acephate. Applied it yesterday after the sun came out.
Less than 1 day later, I have mounds full of dead fire ants. Not empty mounds--mounds with dead ones--thousands and thousands of dead ants.
Down side--it stinks like the dickens. I mean STINKS! I could smell it thru the unopened can when I was on my way home from the hardware store and had to stop and put it in the back of the truck. Had to hold the can down wind when I was spooning it out on the mounds. It ain't cheap, but it seems to work.
(not for crop areas, and I don't think I would use it where cattle could get to it, but that's just me.)

Did I say it stinks?

GB, did you just sprinkle this around the mound or on the mound itself? I got a little ant problem on a farm I leased.
On the mound itself. On really big mounds, I sprinkled about a tablespoon on the mound, then lightly kicked the mound one time with my boot. Instructions say not to disturb the mound at all, but I liked watching them come boiling out of the mound and go rolling down the sides dead.

I haven't read the entire thread so sorry if I'm duplicating. I use Bifen IT on the mounds around my chickens and it's done a wonderful job. Also treats termites and lots of other bugs.

slick4591":1xo9ksc0 said:
I haven't read the entire thread so sorry if I'm duplicating. I use Bifen IT on the mounds around my chickens and it's done a wonderful job. Also treats termites and lots of other bugs.
Bifenthrin can also be sprayed indoors. It's a pretty safe product. It's death on spiders too.
It's also another one we use heavily in the cotton patch. Use it at a gallon to 25 acres.

greybeard":2tq6gek5 said:
midTN_Brangusman":2tq6gek5 said:
greybeard":2tq6gek5 said:

Did I say it stinks?

On the mound itself. On really big mounds, I sprinkled about a tablespoon on the mound, then lightly kicked the mound one time with my boot. Instructions say not to disturb the mound at all, but I liked watching them come boiling out of the mound and go rolling down the sides dead.

:lol: Thanks GB!

jedstivers":24ixogrh said:
ga.prime":24ixogrh said:
Was using bifenthrin but learned Taurus is better by far, active ingredient fipronyl.
Lot of it is used on crops too.

This may be the way to go for me. I have about a 30 acre pasture that has mounds every twenty feet or so, might be a bit quicker treatment.

midTN_Brangusman":1bfjczax said:
jedstivers":1bfjczax said:
ga.prime":1bfjczax said:
Was using bifenthrin but learned Taurus is better by far, active ingredient fipronyl.
Lot of it is used on crops too.

This may be the way to go for me. I have about a 30 acre pasture that has mounds every twenty feet or so, might be a bit quicker treatment.
Right, I had fireants in my hayfields like that also. I sprayed a 15 acre field and a 25 acre field with it @ 4 oz/acre. Taurus comes in a 78 oz jug and I think it was $125 per jug. Keeps ants away for a year or more is what people that use it say. Bifenthrin will only keep ants away for 3 or 4 months.