Fire Ants

Help Support CattleToday:

We have had good results with Talstar broadcast in the yard and then spot treat hills as they seem to return in spots and edges.

Killer bees, fire ants, gators and anacondas/pythons I hope I am far enough north to avoid for the most part. There has been a few reported fire ant hills close by.

Last edited:
Far aints... one of the few things I don't miss, living up here in the Frigid Northland (KY). Armadillos are here... hope the fire ants don't make it before I shuffle off this mortal coil.
I still remember when one of my vet school mates from KY had his first encounter with fire ants when he came to AL for vet school - he was mesmerized by those stinging little b@st@rds.

J.T. Vogt, brother of one of my former neighbors, is one of the leading authorities/researchers on fire ants. Some years back, we were discussing crazy fire ant elimination products, and he sent me a list of some of the things he had collected over the years:

Ant E-Vacuator (vacuum device with an impellor to crush the ants as they pass through it)
Yaardvark (electric shock device)
McCoy Ant Stomper (windmill driven device to disturb the mound and crush the ants with a roller)
Grits (the uninformed don't realize that worker ants don't eat solid food, thus they won't blow up if you put grits on the mound)
The "Solar Ant Charmer" (look it up on the internet, they'll send you a free video)
Various explosive devices
The "Queen Stomper" (kind of like a 5-footed cane you smush down into the mound)
Injectors (forget the names)
Gasoline (of course)--the kicker is I have a couple news articles about people burning the porches off their houses trying this.
Various other mechanical devices

The leased place I just put cows on have a pretty good population of fire ants. I didn't know we had them in this area.

Will they bother cattle? When I moved cows yesterday saw they'd trampled quite a few ant mounds up.

Latest posts