Fire ant mound killer. Got something that actually works?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ol' 243":5wknf08i said:
I use a product called Talstar, I buy it in 32 oz container and mix it with 32 gallons of water in my spray rig, spray entire yard. You WILL NOT have fire ants for a year, I do it every spring.

Absolutely. I've used everything else and Talstar liquid is the only thing that works every time. I treated about 500 hills this year.

shaz":1rhdrud8 said:
Ol' 243":1rhdrud8 said:
I use a product called Talstar, I buy it in 32 oz container and mix it with 32 gallons of water in my spray rig, spray entire yard. You WILL NOT have fire ants for a year, I do it every spring.

Absolutely. I've used everything else and Talstar liquid is the only thing that works every time. I treated about 500 hills this year.
By all means do it your way, but acreage is what you need to be treating, not hills. I said it earlier but I'll say it again, bifenthrin works for 3 or 4 months.

I use the orthene stuff, directly on the mound, don't have fire ants around my house. BUT BE WARNED THAT FIRE ANTS DO KEEP THE TICK POPULATION DOWN. This year was the first year I ever found a tick on me and it was the first year we almost completely eradicated fire ants from the yard. My guineas do keep the tick population down a little so that's my second defense. The orthene seems to push the ants out into the pastures. Works good.

ga.prime":3rh05f9h said:
Was using bifenthrin but learned Taurus is better by far, active ingredient fipronyl.
That's one of the active ingredient in Frontline flea and tick treatment for dogs.

I have the same type yard as my in laws, we are about 1/2 mile away. I use nothing because i'm cheap and lazy. My FIL has used orthene for years. I mow their yard and every time I do, he's sprinkled it on mounds all around his house a few days before.
After years of him doing this, me doing nothing....he has 3xs the ant hills around his house.
The only time I do anything is when they do something against the house and I use baits..

Orthene 75S or Surrender is 75% acephate. It is very effective on killing fireants. Smells bad enough to kill anything big enough to die.