Figs are getting ripe

Help Support CattleToday:

What do you do with them? Fig pie? mmmm pie. What do they taste like? Maybe they wouldn't be good in pie...

They taste real sweet.My mother and grandmother used to cook them down with lots of sugar and put them up in pint jars.They are good right off the tree, but you can only eat so many.

They look just like the kind of figs my mom used to make "fake strawberry" jam. Real strawberries were expensive and pretty hard to come by for us back in those days, but figs and strawberry Jello were plentiful!

Arnold Ziffle":lscud577 said:
They look just like the kind of figs my mom used to make "fake strawberry" jam. Real strawberries were expensive and pretty hard to come by for us back in those days, but figs and strawberry Jello were plentiful!
These are definately the "old time" figs.I started this tree from a cutting from a tree that was planted probably 60+ years ago.

Take your cuttings in January or February when the tree is dormant. You cut off the tip ends of the branches. They should be about 6-8 inches long.You can store them in the refrigerator in the vegetable drawer until spring. Then in the spring, stick them in some potting soil with about 3 inches sticking out of the soil. Take quite a few cuttings as not all of them will root. The last time I tried this I got 3 or 4 to root out of maybe 25 cuttings. Rootone may help. Keep them watered good until they get established.

The spot where you cut them will be about 8 inches from the tip of the limb where the wood is smooth. I don't think it matters if you cut them at the joints or not.

Latest posts