Getting my little plot ready

Help Support CattleToday:

I like that! Ever read Square Foot Gardening? If you haven't you really need to read it. Great ideas in the book for a setup like you have.

Also check out the Back to Eden Film. It's a long one but I believe it's worth the watch IMO. We will start gardening a totally different way this year. We already have a few truck loads of wood chips already

Named'em Tamed'em":vu5gvotq said:
all of the soil in the planter is from our composted manure and screened

Nice.. My grandpa used to use a lot of horse poo on his onions and those bad boys were huge and would make you cry for a while.

Now that's some soil. I'm still working on mine. I still use some of the square foot gardening principles even though I've expanded the garden. N&T, I think you would really find the book helpful. You've probably already figured some of the stuff he talks about out but its really ingenious and cuts down on the weeding while maximizing the use of the space. I imagine with your setup you could feed a dozen families.

Did you pour these yourself? I've been thinking about something similar although wasnt thinking quite as deep. What is the thought behind that depth and design? Looks great. Thanks

Yes artesian ,I built them .The little one was built on a day off,small pours of a couple yards like this we normally get for free here at the house. The height of the stepped planter was determined by the slope of the land. The height of the lower walls have to be higher than the footing for the wall above it.

When I get the soil around the outside it will look better.

I'm going to market them, why not I've been a concrete contractor for 30 years. Might be able to make a couple easy $$ Not to mention, there functional.

skyhightree1":jiork9zm said:
Named'em Tamed'em":jiork9zm said:
all of the soil in the planter is from our composted manure and screened

Nice.. My grandpa used to use a lot of horse poo on his onions and those bad boys were huge and would make you cry for a while.
My Dad also used horse poop in a small garden he had behind his house. He never did cool weather gardens--rains too much here so in the fall, he would till about a dozen deep trenches, shovel the soil out, throw in poop, then backfill a layer of soil on top of the poop, then a layer of poop, till that up, then repeat until he had the original trenches filled in with soil/poop mixture and mounded up some. By spring, that was some good rich soil and he grew huge tomatoes and squash. He said horse poop had more of "the good stuff" in it because the horses didn't digest as much of the grass they ate, and pooped out better manure than the cows did. He just went around during the late summer, and picked up horse poop by the 5 gal bucket and collected it for his garden.

He also grew a couple rows of colored cotten there just for the heck of it--brown mostly. I still have some of the seeds from those brown bolls--been meaning to try it but not sure if it's still any good. His cotton stalks were over 5 feet high. :shock:

Jogeephus":3h7xkmhr said:
Now that's some soil. I'm still working on mine. I still use some of the square foot gardening principles even though I've expanded the garden. N&T, I think you would really find the book helpful. You've probably already figured some of the stuff he talks about out but its really ingenious and cuts down on the weeding while maximizing the use of the space. I imagine with your setup you could feed a dozen families.

How and what are the mushroom logs a doing?

hurleyjd":cpfjupxh said:
Jogeephus":cpfjupxh said:

How and what are the mushroom logs a doing?

My last set of trees got contaminated somehow and didn't bare much at all. I don't know if my inoculate was bad or what. Pretty frustrating whatever the reason.