Anyone know what these are ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Okra is a staple in the South. Everyone puts up several bags of smothered okra for use all winter. Can be eaten as a side veg just smothered down along with rice and gravy, but most use it to make gumbo. Chicken or shrimp gumbo wouldn't be the same without it. When picking young small ones can be boiled and served with vinegar on them like a pickle dish. Also, when smothering down a large pot of okra, vinegar added will cut down the sliminess.
That's one place I've had okra! (You said gumbo and okra in the same sentence and got me remembering). Had alligator stew (or gumbo?) when I was in New Orleans about 30 years ago and it had okra in it. It was pretty good. I need to get/try some of that again.

I grew up growing and eating pinkeye purple hulls(PEPH) - and thought they were The Bomb.
After I left home, Dad started growing 'Zipper Cream' cowpeas... easy to shell, but gag! they were tasteless, mushy things, like the chickpeas the yupsters are all agog over these days.

I've been growing several different cowpea varieties over the past few years - Piggott Family Heirloom, Black Cow, Bisbee Black, Franklin Red, KY Red, Maroon-speckled Whippoorwill, Dimpled Brown Crowder, Iron & Clay, and a couple others. I'll probably never plant another PEPH - compared to Piggott & Iron & Clay, they are almost tasteless and much less productive. YMMV... I sent some seeds to my sister (at Wetumpka AL), and she said that the Black Cow variety was struggling there.
Those Iron and Clay peas are small, but Man!... they have the best flavor of any I've grown.
Sandhill Preservation Center in Calamus, Iowa has a huge collection of cowpea varieties... check 'em out, if interested.

Growing three different okra varieties again this year. 'Heavy Hitter', a selection made from Clemson Spineless, is the most productive. 'Granny Franklin'...jury is still out on this one. 'Jing Orange' - I've grown this one for several years... stays tender even when you miss a pod and it gets 10-12 inches long before you spot it at the next picking.

Last edited:
Coachg, where do you all get self rising cown meal? I never heard of it. The cornbread recipe on the bag is 1 cup corn meal with 1 cup all purpose flour, 4 Ts baking powder, some sugar plus eggs, oil and milk.

Coachg, where do you all get self rising cown meal? I never heard of it. The cornbread recipe on the bag is 1 cup corn meal with 1 cup all purpose flour, 4 Ts baking powder, some sugar plus eggs, oil and milk.
Not Coachg, but self-rising cornmeal and flour are available from different brands in every grocery store in the South.

There is no such thing as self-rising CornMeal. Cornmeal is exactly that..corn that has been ground into meal.
Cornmeal mix tho, always contains a certain % flour, and it is there that the self-rising part comes in. It's just flour that has a leavening agent (baking powder or baking soda--or both) mixed in with it.

Dimpled Brown Crowder,
Crowder peas are hard to beat.
Yep, my mother loved to grow cream peas because the shelling went so easy but she knew to add bacon and jalapeños to them on the stovetop..

(I always hated shelling peas because it meant I had to sit around and hear all the old women whine)

It is even better fried.
For those who don't want the mess of frying okra (but that is sure hard to beat)-roasted with a little salt, pepper and olive oil at 400 for 15 minutes is great! Fresh picked raw is really tasty too. Fresh and the right size is the key-too big and they get woody and have spines.

I grew up growing and eating pinkeye purple hulls(PEPH) - and thought they were The Bomb.
After I left home, Dad started growing 'Zipper Cream' cowpeas... easy to shell, but gag! they were tasteless, mushy things, like the chickpeas the yupsters are all agog over these days.

I've been growing several different cowpea varieties over the past few years - Piggott Family Heirloom, Black Cow, Bisbee Black, Franklin Red, KY Red, Maroon-speckled Whippoorwill, Dimpled Brown Crowder, Iron & Clay, and a couple others. I'll probably never plant another PEPH - compared to Piggott & Iron & Clay, they are almost tasteless and much less productive. YMMV... I sent some seeds to my sister (at Wetumpka AL), and she said that the Black Cow variety was struggling there.
Those Iron and Clay peas are small, but Man!... they have the best flavor of any I've grown.
Sandhill Preservation Center in Calamus, Iowa has a huge collection of cowpea varieties... check 'em out, if interested.

Growing three different okra varieties again this year. 'Heavy Hitter', a selection made from Clemson Spineless, is the most productive. 'Granny Franklin'...jury is still out on this one. 'Jing Orange' - I've grown this one for several years... stays tender even when you miss a pod and it gets 10-12 inches long before you spot it at the next picking.
Not sure where you can get them but my favorite is Hercules . Totally different flavor than the pink eyed purple hills .

There is no such thing as self-rising CornMeal. Cornmeal is exactly that..corn that has been ground into meal.
Cornmeal mix tho, always contains a certain % flour, and it is there that the self-rising part comes in. It's just flour that has a leavening agent (baking powder or baking soda--or both) mixed in with it.
The actual recipe calls for baking powder , salt , and I think baking soda . My wife said leave those out and get the commercial (self-rising) whatever you call it cornmeal.

Not sure where you can get them but my favorite is Hercules . Totally different flavor than the pink eyed purple hills .
Sandhill & Southern Exposure both offer Hercules. Looks a lot like the brown Crowder pea I've been growing for years. I'll have to try that one next year.
Buddy in NC is a fan of Big Boy Green Hull.

I've been shelling a bucket of maroon-speckled whippoorwill peas I picked this morning...just me...no fussing old biddies.
Just a few Black Crowder & Bisbee Black in the mix ... they're longer season varieties.

20220819_175257.jpg
Picture I took for the kids last year, of one day's picking/shelling. Clockwise, from top left: Franklin Red(2 piles), PEPH, brown Crowder, KY Red, (small pile... must have been some oddball variant or volunteer from the year before) Piggott, Iron & Clay, Black Cow in center.

Big pea , hulls turn yellow/ white when ready . I think they are pretty easy to shell . Turn a dark brown when cooked and a dark juice , almost like pinto beans juice . My older neighbor shared them with us . His name was Ollie Turner , a retired mailman . We call them Ollie peas .

My wife makes an Italian spaghetti sauce every summer with tomatoes, onions, and peppers from the garden. She cans it by the gallon in quart jars and we eat it once a week year around. It was sometimes a little thin until we started adding a little sliced okra into the mix. My daughters love it and it is the one thing they come home to help her prepare (so they can take some home with them).
I never actually ate possum, just heard tales around the tobacco stripping room from my grandpa how his dad fixed a pen for them and fed them on sweet potatoes for a month just in case they had been visiting a carcass somewhere. I ran a trapline when I was in school and sold many a possum hide for 75 cents to $1.50, not bad money in the 1960s. I always noticed the clean looking white meat on the carcass and wondered if it would not be good to eat, but never did.
We are a little north for cowpeas and they are not in our tradition, closest would be baby limas which we did really like. Pinto beans were a staple but we always bought the dry beans in a store.

For what it is worth, does anyone else notice the distinct difference in attitude that comes from different sections of the country on this board.
Texas, central plains, Alabama, Kentucky and Tennessee, mid-Atlantic and other areas all have distinct ways of looking at not only food but also the cattle business and life in general. Some areas tend toward arrogance, some towards a sort of down-home atmosphere. I am not saying one is better than the other. There is a lot to learn from all and it is entertaining.

@Logan52 ... while they may not be part of your culture (I'm originally a south Alabama boy), you're not too far north for cowpeas. I'm over here in Christian Co., and they do just fine!

In addition to the cowpeas, I also grow Dixie White Butterpea - a bush-type lima with plump, round white beans. Have grown the Dixie red-speckled butterpea, but for me, I have to soak or pre-cook and discard the first water... IDK if its the lectins or what, but I can't just cook 'em and eat 'em straight up like the cowpeas and other dry beans. It used to 'break my back', bending over picking those butterpeas when I was a kid... now I just let 'em fill most of the pods, then pull 'em up vines and all and go sit in the shade to pick 'em off the vine.

Been playing around planting some dry shell beans the last couple of years. Planted black turtle, Mayocoba, cranberry, and yellow-eye beans the last couple of years, as well as a white marrowfat type, and Tenderpod... all bush-type dry beans (Tenderpod is a pretty good green bean, but a good dry bean, too.) 'Turkey Craw', a pole-type green bean is a multi-purpose, bean... pretty decent as a green bean, can be made into 'leather britches' beans, and makes a nice dry shell bean, too.

Latest posts