Anyone know what these are ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Okra is excellent. Needs to be picked at the right time, sliced, breaded in cornmeal and fried. My suspicion is that those who do not like okra just do not know how to cook it.

Some people think you boil okra and eat it. That would just be nasty. But fried okra is right up there. Or can be pickled when very small.
I like eating it raw as I'm picking it. The really tiny ones can go in a salad raw. YUM!

1 3/4 cups self rising corn meal , 1 cup milk - can be buttermilk, 2 eggs , 1/3 cup oil , 1 cup grated cheese , 1 cup cream style corn . We had fresh corn so she cut it off the cob , wife puts cut up onions, bell peppers for color and her recipe calls for 3 jalapeño peppers 🌶️ but that's too hot for our taste . Mix meal with milk , eggs and oil . Add other ingredients and bake . Iron skillet is for cornbread but she use Pyrex sometimes. Grease skillet, 25-30 min at 350. . You can add or take away ingredients to suit your taste . We don't do buttermilk so she so that's why I said milk . Recipe doesn't call for onions but we like them .

What we now call "Mexican cornbread" is a construct from people of el Norte and is almost always made with YELLOW cornmeal. It isn't Mexican cornbread and about the only thing Mexican about it is the name.
It traditionally tho (here in the contemporary USA) is made using a can of Mexicorn (or Southwestern corn) Mexicorn has whole kernel corn, green and red bell peppers while Southwest uses the same corn but red bells and green Poblano peppers.) Even then, it's not real Mexican cornbread, which is completely different. It's called Pan de Elote in Mexico and uses very little flour, and NO cornmeal. Here's the gringo version:

• 3 cups fresh corn kernels
  • 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
  2. Beat the eggs in a small bowl and set aside.
  3. Add the corn kernels, milk, butter and vanilla extract to a blender or food processor, and purée until mostly smooth. If you like the presentation of whole kernels, set aside about 1/4 cup before puréeing.
  4. Once the mixture is mostly smooth, add the eggs and pulse 5 or 6 times. Add the rest of the ingredients, and purée until well-incorporated. Fold in the reserved corn kernels (if using).
  5. Butter a 9 x 13 pan, pour in the batter, and bake for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
  6. Remove the pan de elote from the oven, and allow to cool in the pan for at least 20 minutes before slicing and serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Add jalapenos or poblanos if you wish.
It will look sort of like this::
pandeelote.jpg

okra. Yep, I have eaten the little ones right off the plant and they are super sweet with no sliminess. To remove the sliminess from sliced okra, broil it spread out on a cookie sheet for a few minutes before starting whatever recipe you use it in.

okra , my wife was in the process of putting up okra in the freezer .
LOL. I think I've had okra once or twice, and it's been a long time since. I Imagine that will change in a few months. Grew up in Indiana and now work in Ohio. My work is taking me to South Carolina. Menu choices change a bit when you move from North to South and vis versa.

LOL. I think I've had okra once or twice, and it's been a long time since. I Imagine that will change in a few months. Grew up in Indiana and now work in Ohio. My work is taking me to South Carolina. Menu choices change a bit when you move from North to South and vis versa.
Remember this word.
Possum

Don't knock possum if you haven't tried it. Best to pen them up for a month or so and feed them sweet potatoes. At least that is how my grandad did it.
"The Other White Meat"

Okra is a staple in the South. Everyone puts up several bags of smothered okra for use all winter. Can be eaten as a side veg just smothered down along with rice and gravy, but most use it to make gumbo. Chicken or shrimp gumbo wouldn't be the same without it. When picking young small ones can be boiled and served with vinegar on them like a pickle dish. Also, when smothering down a large pot of okra, vinegar added will cut down the sliminess.

Not until I'm really really really hungry and their is nothing else to be had for miles…

Cut them up, roll them cornmeal then fry and I'm good to go!

Country boy all my life but I refuse to eat possum , snapping turtle 🐢 and rattlesnake. I know some of you do and I'm glad you do and you can eat my share as well. 🤑🤢🤮
Haven't tried possum because years ago during a snowstorm i seen 2 of them in the stomach of a dead dog. Thats been 50 years and i can still see it.
Snapping turtle is very good and i have tried rattlesnake but its more work than its worth.

My grandmother use to fish every day . I can remember her catching an old algae, mud covered snapping turtle and carrying it home to dress . My grandpa loved it . Said there were 7 different tasting kinds of meat . I could never get the image out of my head . And I hate snakes . My favorite teacher/coach use to say they're only 4 kinds of snakes to be scared of : big one , little ones , dead ones and live ones . I agree !

Country boy all my life but I refuse to eat possum , snapping turtle 🐢 and rattlesnake. I know some of you do and I'm glad you do and you can eat my share as well. 🤑🤢🤮
Snake? Oh heck no! Turtle? Many times but don't really care for it. Possum? Marinate in cubes and smoked not bad. We have enough rabbit, hogs and white tail so we don't have to go there

Snake? Oh heck no! Turtle? Many times but don't really care for it. Possum? Marinate in cubes and smoked not bad. We have enough rabbit, hogs and white tail so we don't have to go there
I would have to starving after we had already eaten all the rabbits, deer,hogs and stringy old roosters for miles around before I ate possum. They just look too nasty .

Latest posts