Fenceline weaning Updated 5-27

Help Support CattleToday:

BTRANCH

Reaction score
We used the fenceline method to wean our first group of calves. Put moms on one side and the calves on the other. Worked just like the books said it should, no stress, not much bawling for each other, etc.

Fast forward to our 4 calves born Dec '07. Tried to separate two weeks ago and the calves did not even make 24 hours before they had wormed their way through the fences back to their mommas. We were in the finishing stages of two new holding pens so we waited until Saturday to separate them again. Good Lord! They have not stopped bawling. I feel sorry for the neighbors.

The plan is to keep them penned up for a week and then turn out with 3 yearling heifers and two heavy bred mommas for protection.

My question is: What did we do wrong? Could there be that much personality difference between last year's calves and this year's? Any suggestions?

Is this the same group of momma cows? I wonder if age of cows, for example, first calf versus second calf would make a difference? I wouldn't expect the calves to be that different. It seems like the last bunch of calves that we hauled off sent our mommas into a bigger tizzy than usual. Perhaps as they get older and have more calves weaned they get more maternal about the seperation?

Speaking of neighbors, the last time we hauled off calves, the neighbor boy asked my daughter in class what was wrong with our cows? He said he couldn't sleep for their bellering, and he lives across the road about a half mile away. He should have heard the racket from my bedroom. :lol:

All the same momma cows plus one new. These were all second calves or more for the mommas. I would not have thought the maternal instinct would get stronger, but I guess that is what is happening. The neighbor to the back said they could hear and they are a good bit away.

I guess we just got lucky with the first batch. (Beginners luck?)

They need to go to the vet for shots but I am leary to haul them off, my fences may not be standing when I come home. :lol:

You are going to say I am an old fart and don't know what I am talking about. The sign was wrong to wean. Go by the Almach will help also when castrating.

We use fenceline weaning too, and sometimes it goes great with very little bellering and sometimes the same group of cows raises quite a fuss. Maybe there is something to what these "old farts" are saying. :D

BTRANCH":3bfp1zlk said:
My question is: What did we do wrong? Could there be that much personality difference between last year's calves and this year's? Any suggestions?

I don't know that you did anything wrong, some calves are just hard weaners. We had the same bunch of cows for quite a number of years, and most times weaning went off without a hitch. Every now and then we had trouble weaning because the calves just didn't adjust to being seperated from their mothers as easily. It's just one of those things.

you did nothing wrong weaning the calves.as said some calves are harder to wean than others.an some will bawl longer for their mommas.i weaned 3 calves in jan.an the 6 month old bawled for 3 days.an then she was ok.i used a form of feneline weaning.the calves was in the corral.an the cows could stand outside close to the calves.

Inadequate fence. We've done it for years with a single strand of HOT wire. Calves are used to hot wire before weaning. Calves seem to adjust to the weaning process better then some cows. And the cows that make the biggest fuss one year may be the quietest the next and vice versa.

we wean fenceline too and some just come right off and some are nuts. we have one cow :devil2: jumped a fence and tore our panels up :mad: and took her calf and jumped the side of the corral with the calf and left :mad: . we had to haul hers off, i am weaning her calf this weekend,
i hope.

Some years fenceline weaning works very smooth for us, but the last couple of years hasn't been so easy. We have 5 strands of barbed wire between them & the little monsters are nursing through the fence and bawling for days. We added a couple of strands of hotwire this year so hopefully that will help.

We use the bull pen to fenceline wean. It has 8ft sides.

When we ship the steers we put the heifers in the bullpen for at least 60 days and then when we turn them back out with the cows we put the bull in and turn on the juice.

We fenceline wean too. The fence between the cows and calves is farm fence, not barb wire. The first few days of weaning, we also place our portable corral panels at the fence in order to keep the crazy mammas from tearing down the fence. Works like a charm.

What is "farm fence"?
Fenceline weaning only works with GREAT fence.
I definately believe in the "signs" affecting weaning & castrating - just don't remember when is right. Seems like the sign can't be in the head, heart or groin area. Is that right???

2/B or not 2/B":2hpig48l said:
hillrancher":2hpig48l said:
You are going to say I am an old fart and don't know what I am talking about. The sign was wrong to wean. Go by the Almach will help also when castrating.

What are the right and wrong signs for weaning? I'd like to try it in the fall.

We do fenceline weaning with high tensile electric. The calves have to be used to the fence. They will stand about 3 feet away and ball. We used to wean with corral fencing, but the cows would let them suck through the fence.

We always wean during the waning phase of the moon (between full and new). I'm not sure I really believe in "signs", but we tend to have less trouble. We also try to wean the second week after the full moon. I don't understand it, but it seems to be less headaches.

2/B or not 2/B":17vhm9ln said:
hillrancher":17vhm9ln said:

What are the right and wrong signs for weaning? I'd like to try it in the fall.

The zodiac sign for weaning is in the legs going down. Castrating the sign should be below the heart and going down. In the knees is supposed to be perfect for castrating.

With all this said. I was quoting my neighbor of 20 years ago. I do know there is times when castrating there is no blood and the signs was in the knees. I have weaned the calves would be eating the next morning and act like they were weaned for weeks and I have had them looks for momma for 3 weeks. The later was when the sign was in the heart.
I will not swear by the sign but I do think it has some effect.

Things are settling down. We are going to check the fences this weekend and put them in the front pasture with two momma cows due soon. Hopefully, they will stay on the right side of the fence.
:banana:

Kit Pharo recently came out with an article about fenceline weaning in order to solve all our problems, which is apparently his mission in life. :)

Fenceline weaning works perfectly for me, if the fences are about 1/4 mile apart, both hot, and the one surrounding the calves is at least 6 ft. high with a hot wire.

Tried the other way, hard on the fence. They are weaned in 4 or 5 days when you separate them.

BTRANCH":35u3ritz said:
We used the fenceline method to wean our first group of calves. Put moms on one side and the calves on the other. Worked just like the books said it should, no stress, not much bawling for each other, etc.

Fast forward to our 4 calves born Dec '07. Tried to separate two weeks ago and the calves did not even make 24 hours before they had wormed their way through the fences back to their mommas. We were in the finishing stages of two new holding pens so we waited until Saturday to separate them again. Good Lord! They have not stopped bawling. I feel sorry for the neighbors.

The plan is to keep them penned up for a week and then turn out with 3 yearling heifers and two heavy bred mommas for protection.

This group of calves would have been 5 months old, how old were the calves last year when you weaned? I'd bet they were 6-7 months old.

Latest posts