Weaning weights

Help Support CattleToday:

You're no crook. I may question the intelligence/ good sense of some of the guys that are cutting these deals, but don't blame you for taking their money when you fulfill your part.. then again if they have this kind of money to throw around, they must be successful in some facets of their life.
At the end of the day, if they weren't happy they could find someone else to do their legwork.

I've learner dealing with the guys I deal with there are other factors at play some times that not every one will understand.

You're no crook. I may question the intelligence/

good sense of some of the guys that are cutting these deals, but don't blame you for taking their money when you fulfill your part.. then again if they have this kind of money to throw around, they must be successful in some facets of their life.
At the end of the day, if they weren't happy they could find someone else to do their legwork.
Thanks, Lazy M. No, this man is very intelligent. I am 65 and he turned 71 today. He was raised on this farm, and they had cattle all of their life, but the main income of the farm was from row crops. He was a commercial contractor, building schools and shopping centers until he retired about 5 years ago. He knows as much about cattle as a LOT of folks on here do...more so than many I see posting. But... he never studied genetics,etc. He didn't know what a Braford, or an ULtrablack or an EPD is, etc. He knows enough about cattle that no one could try to slip inferior cattle over on him, etc. He didn't /doesn't have the connections I do in cattle. Just like I have built a little bit in my life, a few houses, some log cabins....spent 5 years building barns, stable, arenas, etc. I could read the blue prints for a mall he was building, but if someone wanted me to build a mall, I would refer them to him. Just like he asked me to get his herd of cattle for him. Every time I was going to look at any fairly close to him, I would invite him to go with me. He never would., but I would have been fine with it of he had wanted to. He has spent the last 6 months building a barn and a covered set of working facilities...he didn't want to ride all over the SE looking at cows.

Thanks, Lazy M. No, this man is very intelligent. I am 65 and he turned 71 today. He was raised on this farm, and they had cattle all of their life, but the main income of the farm was from row crops. He was a commercial contractor, building schools and shopping centers until he retired about 5 years ago. He knows as much about cattle as a LOT of folks on here do...more so than many I see posting. But... he never studied genetics,etc. He didn't know what a Braford, or an ULtrablack or an EPD is, etc. He knows enough about cattle that no one could try to slip inferior cattle over on him, etc. He didn't /doesn't have the connections I do in cattle. Just like I have built a little bit in my life, a few houses, some log cabins....spent 5 years building barns, stable, arenas, etc. I could read the blue prints for a mall he was building, but if someone wanted me to build a mall, I would refer them to him. Just like he asked me to get his herd of cattle for him. Every time I was going to look at any fairly close to him, I would invite him to go with me. He never would., but I would have been fine with it of he had wanted to. He has spent the last 6 months building a barn and a covered set of working facilities...he didn't want to ride all over the SE looking at cows.
He probably needs a big write-off and enjoys cattle. He trusts you to do right by him in delivering quality cattle. Sounds like you had fun filling his order and made it worth your time. Everyone's happy.
Now post some pics of these girls!

Smart dude, you hire professionals to handle their business and stay the hell out of their way. You're not a crook, BTW, you're a business person that people your for your expertise...they want what your can provide...kind of like how anybody that owns a business hires an accountant to do their taxes, a real accountant that actually charges for their services

Yep, except it was 10-28 at a time. And when I bought the 28 they all had calves on the side, so I had to hire another truck and trailer to bring them back from south Fla to middle GA. And, I always helped him change out tags on the cows, and calves if there were any, plus I cut a few bull calves for him, too, when I'd deliver them. And at no additional charge.

The client was gonna give me $37, 500 to buy 5 registered Brangus and/ or Ultrablack bulls. I was going to get them from a breeder I had bought 18 f1 Black Hereford x Brahma cows from. However, When I was there, this breeder made me an offer on some Chi-Angus/Black Simmental/Brahma composites he has been developing. I am not all that wild about what he is doing as far as the bulls go. He has produced some bodacious heifers and cows, but I just don't like using cross-bred bulls like that. However, Memorial weekend, I am picking up 6 of these bulls, which will be 18-20 months old, and we get to use them for up to 60 days FREE. In addition, he signed an offer to buy every heifer born, for $900 at weaning at 6 mos old. If half the crop is heifers, that means my client is guaranteed $67,500 for 75 6 month old calves. For negotiating all of this, and going to get those bulls and hauling them 270 miles ( and I will probably have to spend the day helping them once I get there with the bulls) I am charging him just $500, for a 500+ round trip plus a day's worth of my time. I guess I am a crook for doing this, too. :)
I think I will start another thread about these bulls and what this breeder is doing. I would like to hear what some of y'all think about it. These were the bulls Scott wanted to use on the Kudzu Corriente cows and I was not happy about it. Glad we sold them all a few weeks back. I will do it on the " Breeds Board".

I think I will start another thread about these bulls and what this breeder is doing. I would like to hear what some of y'all think about it. These were the bulls Scott wanted to use on the Kudzu Corriente cows and I was not happy about it. Glad we sold them all a few weeks back. I will do it on the " Breeds Board".
Moot point on the bulls now. The client I had that came out when I delivered the last cows to Wayne, that offered $2200 a head? He called Thursday and offered $2500 a head for the pairs, and $2200 for the ones yet to calve. Thursday 102 had calved, and some more did Fri and today. So, he told Wayne today: " Hell, they gonna all calve before I get them hauled, Let's just do $2500 a head , period"!! That's $375000....a $105000 profit!! $700 per cow! Now I don't have to fool with those designer bulls! :) Probably gotta start back hunting 150 cows again, though!!

It is off label to implant at birth but as I understand it Ralgro is effective given at birth. I planned on doing it this year but got voted down. Apparently Mrs. Silver gets more votes than I do 😕

Thanks @Dave
I've no experience with em aside from when I used to haul all mine to the vet to work em. Doesn't make financial sense to haul to the vet just to implant.
I don't like implants. I guess I just don't see the charm. I've tried them, but the difference wasn't really even noticeable. I get my weight gains through making good choices about buying/retaining/culling cows and choosing bulls that compliment what I have.

I don't like implants. I guess I just don't see the charm. I've tried them, but the difference wasn't really even noticeable. I get my weight gains through making good choices about buying/retaining/culling cows and choosing bulls that compliment what I have.
I don't use them either. The less I touch the cattle the better.

Yeah....
5 heifers that all matched up pretty nice. Horned and polled sold together. Horns didn't seem to make a difference 🤣
Around here the buyers would figure the horns into the price. X number with horns @ $1.18, X number polled @ $1.68, I will bid up to $1.45 for the group. Pulled the numbers out of my rear obviously. Were they mine I would prefer them to sell separate because I would be afraid that I would lose a bidder who absolutely didn't want horns. Buyers look hard for any excuse around here.

Latest posts