Yearling bull, 1/5 calves on ground

Help Support CattleToday:

spounders

Reaction score
So I got an Angus bull calf (not sure of age but he was just starting to follow females, probably around 800-900lbs) about a year ago. Put him on our 4 Angus cows (ages varying from two 2yo heifers to ~7yo cows). I'm currently in college and I just inherited the group about three years ago when my grandparents sold out, so I just got around to putting a bull out there to try to get them to earn their keep a little. Looking at taking him in for a BSE, kicking myself for not doing it sooner. From what I can tell, I haven't noticed any cows coming back into heat but I also am only able to put eyes on them about twice every two weeks & my dad isn't a cow guy so he isn't a reliable witness 😂 they're all pretty fat from having the pasture to themselves and no work, so I can't tell just by looking if they've filled out. however, we've only had one calf hit the ground (about a month ago). My hope is that being a baby (and shorter sized) he just took a few cycles to get to all of them. What are the odds that they're just spread out? Anyone ever had something similar?

I've got a couple 1st calf heifers that are taking their sweet arse time spitting their second one out!

That being said, I've had just as many 1st calf heifers move up or calve right on time for their second calf.

Have u had em preg checked?

So I got an Angus bull calf (not sure of age but he was just starting to follow females, probably around 800-900lbs) about a year ago. Put him on our 4 Angus cows (ages varying from two 2yo heifers to ~7yo cows). I'm currently in college and I just inherited the group about three years ago when my grandparents sold out, so I just got around to putting a bull out there to try to get them to earn their keep a little. Looking at taking him in for a BSE, kicking myself for not doing it sooner. From what I can tell, I haven't noticed any cows coming back into heat but I also am only able to put eyes on them about twice every two weeks & my dad isn't a cow guy so he isn't a reliable witness 😂 they're all pretty fat from having the pasture to themselves and no work, so I can't tell just by looking if they've filled out. however, we've only had one calf hit the ground (about a month ago). My hope is that being a baby (and shorter sized) he just took a few cycles to get to all of them. What are the odds that they're just spread out? Anyone ever had something similar?
Where are you located, Spounders?

No preg checks, I figured at this point I might as well wait it out another month or so to see what happens. I'm in north Mississippi

it's not a loss if I end up with only one calf for the year, but I definitely would like to do better next time 😂

Looks like I maybe doubted my guy too soon, I actually just had one cow drop twins on me today in the ice 😂 had some trouble accepting them so they're in the barn being bottle fed but doing well so far. I've got more faith in the little bull now, so we'll see how the rest of the season goes 🙏🏼

Haha!
A 2 for 1 deal.
Hope they are doing well. Do u have mama in the barn with them?
Unfortunately not, she's a heathen around people (we tried to sell her last winter but she's raised hell every time she sees the trailer 😂) and she was bordering aggressive to the stronger calf so we didn't want to chance it. Reintroduction wasn't successful so looks like we've got some bottle babies, and she's definitely going to the sale if we can load her at some point 😂

Latest posts