I'm starting to think about weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
I usually align my weaning with our local Weaner Sale. I rarely have any to put in it , my surplus heifers I usually have people chasing them but I use the prices at the Weaner Sale as a guide to my pricing. It is a good sale and everything usually sells at a premium to the regular weekly sales. I only found out yesterday that the sale is set for the 10th March so I am getting cracking. I don't creep feed but I do put in a creep feeder about 2 weeks before weaning to get them used to taking a bit of grain so that when I put it out when I split them off their mothers a significant number know what it is all about. I don't like them going backwards.
I built this creep feeder about 12 years ago and am very happy with how it has stood up. The hopper doesn't hold a real lot, probably 1/2 tonne of grain mix, I fill it up with the bucket on the tractor and from the silo. I have it attached to the old grey Fergie and it is very easy to move when I rotate the paddocks, just start her up, lift the linkage and I get enough clearance to go over dips etc through gateways.
I've got a bit to do to get things ready for weaning like bringing a couple of feed troughs home from The Tin Mine which will be a bit of a challenge as things are very wet and the tracks not passable but being well prepared is the key for things to go smoothly and no headaches.

KenP1020733.JPG

I usually align my weaning with our local Weaner Sale. I rarely have any to put in it , my surplus heifers I usually have people chasing them but I use the prices at the Weaner Sale as a guide to my pricing. It is a good sale and everything usually sells at a premium to the regular weekly sales. I only found out yesterday that the sale is set for the 10th March so I am getting cracking. I don't creep feed but I do put in a creep feeder about 2 weeks before weaning to get them used to taking a bit of grain so that when I put it out when I split them off their mothers a significant number know what it is all about. I don't like them going backwards.
I built this creep feeder about 12 years ago and am very happy with how it has stood up. The hopper doesn't hold a real lot, probably 1/2 tonne of grain mix, I fill it up with the bucket on the tractor and from the silo. I have it attached to the old grey Fergie and it is very easy to move when I rotate the paddocks, just start her up, lift the linkage and I get enough clearance to go over dips etc through gateways.
I've got a bit to do to get things ready for weaning like bringing a couple of feed troughs home from The Tin Mine which will be a bit of a challenge as things are very wet and the tracks not passable but being well prepared is the key for things to go smoothly and no headaches.

KenView attachment 13869
Nice roll bar on that tractor. After I flipped one in High School, my father welded something similar on our Ford Jubilee.

That is an awesome looking creep feeder! You did good.

Wow, 10 days is not very long to get the ball out of them and get straightened out. Good luck.

KenView attachment 13869
Nice...is than an old Ford 2n?

Nice...is than an old Ford 2n?
It's a Ferguson TE20, basically the same as your Ford 2n. Harry Ferguson developed then and invented the 3 pt linkage, they had a Vanguard engine in them. My understanding is he sold the right to manufacture them in the US to Henry Ford. I don't know if they had the same engine in them, Murray's comment suggests they may have had a side valve.

Ken

It's a Ferguson TE20, basically the same as your Ford 2n. Harry Ferguson developed then and invented the 3 pt linkage, they had a Vanguard engine in them. My understanding is he sold the right to manufacture them in the US to Henry Ford. I don't know if they had the same engine in them, Murray's comment suggests they may have had a side valve.

Ken
Yep!
9n/2n/8n have a flathead. Or side valve

I havnt decided on weaning this year. I may just sell right off the cow again.

Latest posts