Feeling good.

Help Support CattleToday:

If you are hurting so much that it affects your quality of life, ask your doc if there is something you can try.

I'm not that old, but I have arthritic knees and intermittent bursitis from a shoulder injury playing football. I was in a drug trial for celebrex for a disease that runs in the family. I never felt so good than when I was taking that religiously. They can be a little hard on your stomach, I was on a high end dose and didn't have too many issues.

Meloxicam is real cheap at WalMart, it is on the $4 list for a months supply or $8 for 3 months if I remember right. It worked ok for me. Not as good as celebrex, but better than ibuprofen.

If you haven't looked into it, I'd at least ask your doctor. I just use them as needed now. If I have complications from them, so be it. I figure I might lose the time anyway if I get old and just feel like sitting around.

I take Mobic and several doses of 800 mg Ibuprofen a day. Plus not I have Carpel Tunnel (sp) in my left hand that is giving me a fit. I hurt constantly. Even the strong stuff will not make the hand calm down. With me it isnt just the age it is the miles. Too many injuries and surgeries. I never sleep over 2 hours without the pain waking me up.

hurleyjd":3awjhhai said:
Am I the only one that awakes in the morning hurting somewhere and wonders will I ever feel good again.

For me it's not so much first thing in the morning as any time I get up after sitting for any length of time. Back, hips, and knees hurt, mostly back, but by the time I've walked 20 or 30 feet everything loosens up and I can stand up straight again (until the next time I sit for a while).

I always say, I am in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in! :lol:

When my neck was so bad, I just bought a shorter horse to be closer to the ground! I hope I never get to where I can't ride. (I may not be able to walk someday, but will still ride I hope!)

Rafter S":124003lg said:
hurleyjd":124003lg said:
Am I the only one that awakes in the morning hurting somewhere and wonders will I ever feel good again.

For me it's not so much first thing in the morning as any time I get up after sitting for any length of time. Back, hips, and knees hurt, mostly back, but by the time I've walked 20 or 30 feet everything loosens up and I can stand up straight again (until the next time I sit for a while).

I can not say anything on the other ailments I can speak of this issue. I used to spend upto 10 hours a day at a desk in front of a computer and I experienced the same symptoms. After my daughter challenged me to touch my toes, I found that as I got closer to touching my toes and my hamstrings started to loosen up the pain started to go away. That was 5 years ago. I am now able to touch my toes and have just recently realized that muscle tightness was causing my lower back, hip, neck and shoulder and knee pain. And now I feel a lot younger and can enjoy playing with my daughter without worrying about not being able to walk the next day and can sit for 10 hours no issue at all. :)

clueless":s1ohvoq2 said:
Rafter S":s1ohvoq2 said:
hurleyjd":s1ohvoq2 said:

I can not say anything on the other ailments I can speak of this issue. I used to spend upto 10 hours a day at a desk in front of a computer and I experienced the same symptoms. After my daughter challenged me to touch my toes, I found that as I got closer to touching my toes and my hamstrings started to loosen up the pain started to go away. That was 5 years ago. I am now able to touch my toes and have just recently realized that muscle tightness was causing my lower back, hip, neck and shoulder and knee pain. And now I feel a lot younger and can enjoy playing with my daughter without worrying about not being able to walk the next day and can sit for 10 hours no issue at all. :)

I don't know how true it is, but I read a physio write that if you bend your back one way at work you should be balancing that movement with exercises that bend it the other way... I think he's right.
What they call 'good' posture always seems to increase that tightness, if you can stand and put your head on your knees that sure seems to ease it better than about any other exercise I know.

regolith":9mxcrdxp said:
And there I thought this was going to be a positive thread... instead you go all out to make the youngsters scared of old age.

Still wake pain free most days and prescribe myself more exercise if I don't. My previous generation were debilitated by my age, so each day is an assurance that I'm not going to be them for a long time yet.
Sleeping in the truck a few years ago didn't do my back any good at all, I won't do that again if I can help it.
Hope you never have such problems. I have hurt every day since before I finished high school. So it is not just old age.
That show where Robert Redford and Jane Fonda stole that horse and slept out and when he got up the next morning she said "You are bent"--my wife got a kick out of that and said that was what I was in the AM--bent. I didn't think it was funny.
That was some years ago. Things are worse now.
Doing flexibility exercises helps, if you can do them.
I do pretty well as long as I don't move.

Chiropractor used to help, but no more.
Acupuncture helped a little for a while. But when it got to where it wasn't doing any good any more I quit going when I realized how much money I had spent on it.

My wife and daughter suffer from a condition known as Ankylosing spondylitis. Both have a lot of pain. Daughter has had some nerves terminated to prevent the pain in a lot of areas. I guess because I am 73 and with pain is better than being on the other side of the grass.

hurleyjd":39p93eyf said:
My wife and daughter suffer from a condition known as Ankylosing spondylitis. Both have a lot of pain. Daughter has had some nerves terminated to prevent the pain in a lot of areas. I guess because I am 73 and with pain is better than being on the other side of the grass.
At least the pain lets you know you are still alive. :(

3waycross":1wjt8o4j said:
That stuff help you? I have been taking an 800mg Ibuprofen morning and night and it makes life tolerable but truly the only real relief I get is when I can't stand it anymore and take a pain pill and since I limit those to one or two a week I am miserable most of the time.

You guys hitting the Ibuprofen hard be careful. It's a lot harder on the kidneys than Acetaminophen.

slick4591":39u05gbi said:
3waycross":39u05gbi said:
That stuff help you? I have been taking an 800mg Ibuprofen morning and night and it makes life tolerable but truly the only real relief I get is when I can't stand it anymore and take a pain pill and since I limit those to one or two a week I am miserable most of the time.

You guys hitting the Ibuprofen hard be careful. It's a lot harder on the kidneys than Acetaminophen.

The Tylenol destroys the liver..............you get it either way.

3waycross":1dy2ccnl said:
slick4591":1dy2ccnl said:
3waycross":1dy2ccnl said:

The Tylenol destroys the liver..............you get it either way.

Not according to my doc, but I'll look at it a lot closer. I have only one kidney and the doc threatened me if I took Ibuprofen. Stressed that I take Acetaminophen instead.

edit* Just read where it will do the same thing if taken in excess or with alcohol. Guess I should swear off it too.

Slick I wasn't disagreeing. I was just stating that Tylenol is very hard on the liver.

I agree on the ibuprofen, that's why I do a kidney function test once a year.

There you go Ryder. Try the "Happy Ending" massage. It won't help the aches but it sure will take your mind off it for a little while :cowboy:

3waycross":37px8t9b said:
There you go Ryder. Try the "Happy Ending" massage. It won't help the aches but it sure will take your mind off it for a little while :cowboy:

Well.....I suppose you could try that too.... :lol2:

Katherine

I'm 46, and so far, I suppose I'm good. Now that I say this, however, I'll probably fall apart tomorrow. At what age does stuff like this creep in? I guess it hits differently.

I have a friend who has farmed all his life and is 54. He said recently, "as far as I know, I don't feel any different than I did when I was 18." He's about 5'6", about 150, and not a gray hair in sight, and believe me, he doesn't dye his hair.

I also know a guy who is 84, and as far as i know, has no major medical issues. He is never at his house. We went by to see him one day and his wife said he had hauled a couple loads of cattle that morning, then bush-hogged for a couple of hours, and then went to cut some wood. Wow. If I live to be that age, I hope I'm in that great shape.

herofan":280dg1ze said:
At what age does stuff like this creep in? I guess it hits differently.

Yes. And I think alot of it depends on the amount of wear & tear a body has had, in addition to the amount of broken bones, bumps,bruises,sprains and strains etc. Then there's also the genetic component.

As for me, over the course of my lifetime I have had 15 broken bones, all at different times. Several sprains and too many strains to remember. I've also had a few bone bruises (which take forever to heal) a few "soft tissue" injuries as well as tendon and ligament injuries. Then there's the general wear & tear of the types of work I've done. I've even had a couple of hand surgeries and a jaw surgery.

All thinks considered, I feel pretty good most of the time. Mornings are stiff and popping/cracking then okay. Sit too long or stand too long in one position and I'm very stiff, but it works out. As long as I can keep moving, I'm okay.

I know a few folks who are way worse off than I am, and those are the people I think of at times, then I don't feel so bad.

When I stopped smoking, that helped with some of the pain and discomfort I would feel, it eased up a bit.

Enough about me.

Katherine

Latest posts