Feeding small square hay vs. round hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Many of the replies focus on the physical labor aspect of traditional square hay methods. If you aren't familiar with the Hoelscher system, it has a trailer of sorts that hooks on behind the square baler and collects the bales. Once ten bales are on the trailer it dumps them onto the ground. An attachment on the front-end loader then picks the entire stack of ten bales up for loading onto the trailer. This same attachment is used to put hay into, and get hay out of, the barn. Therefore, there is very little if any need to handle the square hay. In other words, you get the hay out of the field with the FEL, put it in the barn with the FEL, and feed it with the FEL, just like round bales. I realize that I could construct a barn that would be favorable for stacking round hay, but for now I am trying to best use what I have available.

There are many ways to protect it that would result in substantial hay savings.

What are some of the economical methods that some of you use to cover up hay. We have used the black visqueen in the past but I am really not interested in trying that again.

kb5iod":2yk5im6s said:

What are some of the economical methods that some of you use to cover up hay. We have used the black visqueen in the past but I am really not interested in trying that again.

I set mine on pallets. There has been much discussion on this and some folks have stated in past post that they fear the nails in the pallets for flats and what not. I don't have a problem with nails or hardware poisoning. Of course, this is a dry climate here too.

You can tarp the hay or bag it relatively simple.

I am taking old trampoline frames and steadily buidling hay cradles to use in lieu of rings. Caustic posted some pics a while back. If you can set a clean bale of hay in a hay cradle, there is practically no loss. You were asking about 10%. I have successfully cut my losses on SOME bales to probably about 3 or 4 percent and most of that was attributed to wind or the cows strowing loose pieces.

Hay cradles are likely the most effective means for me to feed personally. No manure concerns. If I had cows that completely at the bale each day, cradles wouldn't be all that much more significant. But when you put hay on the ground in a ring that lasts two or three days, there is going to be loss from ground contact with manure and such. The cows eventually learn to push the ring around too.

How much does a Hoelscher system cost ?

Stepper,
I bought mine used a few years ago for baling horse hay. I am unsure of the current price for a new system but I would guess around $11k.

kb5iod":2ylwwg3u said:

Currently, I stack 3-2-1 on a bed of 2" rock and cover with a black/silver tarp. $200 for rock, $140 for a tarp which covers 55 bales and lasts 2 yr. The rock is good for 5 yr before it sinks in the dirt and that makes about 2$/bale storage cost. The bales come out real good in our VERY wet climate.

I am a small timer operation. I rent out my tillable acres and use the money to buy my round bales. I buy wrapped bales. My waste is about 4%. To figure that out I put round feeder on fresh ground and once they were done, I raked up all the loose hay and weighted it. I do buy a few square bales for feeding inside the barn when needed.

Last year was used small squares. Moving to the wrapped rounds was the best move I made. I am paying $70 per ton delivered.

Angus/Brangus":2nezngaf said:
The most critical action is to NOT let the round bale contact the soil. The next is covering the top.

Absoutely. That's it a nutshell. If it has to be out in the open, get it off the bare ground.

I'm doing the small square bale routine for 26 head. Custom made a cart to pull hay from barn to gate. Feed silage, via 5 gallon buckets, once critters are eating, I can take they hay in and get it into the rings pretty quickly without them bothering me too much. Very labor intensive, but will probably continue this way until the equipment or my back take a dump. I'll probably go round once the baler gives up. There still is waste with small squares, but it does'nt start until the hay hits the ring. Unless a person really enjoys the workout/abuse, or as in my case got a good deal on the equipment, I probably would'nt go small sqaures with much more than 25 head.

kb5iod":3tztiryw said:
I have been studying on the idea of square baling as much of my hay as possible this year instead of round rolling. The barns that I have are not suitable for storing round hay due to their method of construction. As a result, I have to store round hay outside. By the time I feed during the winter, I estimate that at least 35% of each bale is lost. This means that 35% of every input that goes into that bale is wasted. Of course, then there is the issue of quality. I want to put up hay that can meet the nutritional needs of the cow without supplements other than minerals. I have a Hoelscher accumulator and fork for the square baler so that completely changes the labor aspect of square hay. What are your opinions, good or bad, about feeding square hay as it relates to the situation I have described?

Round bales can be baled with the same quality but you are right about the waste if it is stored outside, uncovered. It pays to cover them with tarps or bale sleeves, it is much cheaper than building a barn. I tarp about a thousand a year and it works great for me. Feeding squares has the advantage of metering the required amount of hay and greatly cuts down on waste and over-feeding, especially with horses and to a great deal with smaller groups of cattle.

travlnusa":2wuwjjr1 said:
I am a small timer operation. I rent out my tillable acres and use the money to buy my round bales. I buy wrapped bales. My waste is about 4%. To figure that out I put round feeder on fresh ground and once they were done, I raked up all the loose hay and weighted it. I do buy a few square bales for feeding inside the barn when needed.

Last year was used small squares. Moving to the wrapped rounds was the best move I made. I am paying $70 per ton delivered.

you can't beat that price, I only bale hay to sell as a business, I can easily buy hay a lot cheaper than I can make it.

Out here in the west, Hay is baled in big square (mostly dairy quality alfalfa and stock cow hay) and 3 string small square bales (horse and feed store hay). There is very little round bales. Because we sell to a horse market, we bale everything in the small square bales.
Using a hay squeeze to load, and a feed wagon pulled with a tractor. We can feed 100 bales in 4x16 foot feed bunks, in less than 2 hours.

Rangenerd":hiq1y9ea said:
Out here in the west, Hay is baled in big square (mostly dairy quality alfalfa and stock cow hay) and 3 string small square bales (horse and feed store hay). There is very little round bales. Because we sell to a horse market, we bale everything in the small square bales.
Using a hay squeeze to load, and a feed wagon pulled with a tractor. We can feed 100 bales in 4x16 foot feed bunks, in less than 2 hours.

A three wire bale weighs a lot more then the small squares that are generally discussed on here. These small squares run 50-60 lbs while in the west a 3 wire will wigh 100 to 160. That is, unless things have chaged radially in the past 10 years or so.

dun

For what it's worth, we've always fed small square bales except for one year when we tried the round bales. Our experience was just the opposite of most people on here - the rounds were far more trouble, and less efficient. I guess it comes down to what one is used to handling. Before the folks retired, we wintered roughly 200 head using only small squares and a few bags of cake. Until we sold out, our herd was 60 head and we wintered them on small squares, and a little ground hay. We, too, have the Hoelschere (sp?) accumulator and the 10-pack for the tractor, and they cut down on labor tremendously. As far as covering the hay, we have custom made tarps because the wind in Wyoming will destroy a regular tarp in one winter by whipping it around. I hope this helps.

msscamp":qrtvf6qm said:
For what it's worth, we've always fed small square bales except for one year when we tried the round bales. Our experience was just the opposite of most people on here - the rounds were far more trouble, and less efficient. I guess it comes down to what one is used to handling. Before the folks retired, we fed roughly 200 head with small squares. Until we sold out, our herd was 60 head and we wintered them on small squares, too. We, too, have the Hoelschere (sp?) accumulator and the 10-pack for the tractor, and they cut down on labor tremendously. As far as covering the hay, we have custom made tarps because the wind in Wyoming will destroy a regular tarp in one winter by whipping it around. I hope this helps.

How much did those small squares weigh?

dun

dun":16mee49w said:
msscamp":16mee49w said:
For what it's worth, we've always fed small square bales except for one year when we tried the round bales. Our experience was just the opposite of most people on here - the rounds were far more trouble, and less efficient. I guess it comes down to what one is used to handling. Before the folks retired, we fed roughly 200 head with small squares. Until we sold out, our herd was 60 head and we wintered them on small squares, too. We, too, have the Hoelschere (sp?) accumulator and the 10-pack for the tractor, and they cut down on labor tremendously. As far as covering the hay, we have custom made tarps because the wind in Wyoming will destroy a regular tarp in one winter by whipping it around. I hope this helps.

How much did those small squares weigh?

dun

They varied - probably 75 lbs, maybe more, when we were all younger, now they weigh around 60, 65 lbs - sometimes more.

This brings back memories. In the 70's and 80's I put up little squares. With the help of one young guy would bale 10-12 thousand per Summer. Store all in sheds, It was nice that there was little waste, I always enjoyed the smell and working with the hay. But everyday thoughout the feeding season, loading the bales on the truck or wagon and taking them to the feeding area, usually the pasture. In cold windy weather cows got fed fenceline.
WOW what a lot of work, but I didn't worry about getting overwieght. :D Now a skid steer with 800 lb square, feeding twice as many head in about a hour total. ;-)

I know squares can be handy for baby calves, and young stock. My neighbor still square bales, but as she use to be able to find help to put it up, no more, they are just too much work. Round bales are just so much easier. I saw this feed wagon at farm fest, would work slick for round bales, no waste in feeding, because it never touches the ground, the cows eat it in the wagon, and really as far as waste storing outside, sure there will be some, even if tarped, but its still the way to go.

GMn

I have no posted pics of my home made hay cradles over in the tips and tricks section.

I like the square bales myself. But i dont mind the work. Which i really dont call work anyway. I have a 18' flatbed trailer that i keep stocked. I have 5 hay rings in the pasture and i put 10 bales in each down to 35°. then in which i put out 12. Right now i'm feeding 36 mommas and 29 calves. i sold 10 calves the 1st week of jan.

Latest posts