Feeding small square hay vs. round hay

Help Support CattleToday:

kb5iod

Reaction score
I have been studying on the idea of square baling as much of my hay as possible this year instead of round rolling. The barns that I have are not suitable for storing round hay due to their method of construction. As a result, I have to store round hay outside. By the time I feed during the winter, I estimate that at least 35% of each bale is lost. This means that 35% of every input that goes into that bale is wasted. Of course, then there is the issue of quality. I want to put up hay that can meet the nutritional needs of the cow without supplements other than minerals. I have a Hoelscher accumulator and fork for the square baler so that completely changes the labor aspect of square hay. What are your opinions, good or bad, about feeding square hay as it relates to the situation I have described?

I have been seeing a lot of people going back to sq. baleing, just for the reasons you mentioned. Plus feeding is less wasteful.
As a side benefit if you have surplus, sq. bales bring more money when you sell it.

I typically agree with Angus/Brangus, just for the simplicity factor involved with round bales. And, it does depend on your herd size. I keep my round bales on a hilly/gravel area, and I dont see near a 35% waste. (more like 5-10%)
I also bale some square bales to put in the barn close to the pens when I have to put up some heifers, or have a sick cow or calf.

If you have the time squares are the way to accomplish what you want reducing waste. I've fed up to 20 with small squares and it keeps you hoppin. It makes for calmer cows and you get a chance to see them up close every day.

I have been thinking about the time factor and I don't think it will be much different than round hay. With the accumulator and forks I can move square hay out of the field just about as fast as round hay. The square baler is a little slower, have to drop a gear when baling. Also, I can use the forks to put out the square bales during the winter. I was thinking of using a feeder instead of putting it out on the ground. I would be able to drop the bales in, ten at a time. I already cut the strings off the round bales so there is really nothing added in that area. I was surprised at the amount of loss on outside hay. If my math is correct, 20% of a 4x5 roll is contained in the outer six inches of the roll. I usually have about six inches of rot on each roll by this time of year. Has anyone had experience with these feeders?

kb5iod":21c8atom said:
I have been thinking about the time factor and I don't think it will be much different than round hay. With the accumulator and forks I can move square hay out of the field just about as fast as round hay. The square baler is a little slower, have to drop a gear when baling. Also, I can use the forks to put out the square bales during the winter. I was thinking of using a feeder instead of putting it out on the ground. I would be able to drop the bales in, ten at a time. I already cut the strings off the round bales so there is really nothing added in that area. I was surprised at the amount of loss on outside hay. If my math is correct, 20% of a 4x5 roll is contained in the outer six inches of the roll. I usually have about six inches of rot on each roll by this time of year. Has anyone had experience with these feeders?

I beleive your hay loss may be even greater than you think. Check out this site
http://msucares.com/pubs/infobulletins/ib0311.htm

Square bales have their place.
But if you are going to feed more than a hand full.
One season should teach you a valuable lesson.
I know it did me. I wouldnt go back waste or not.
Square bales for a small herd is a pain in the butt.
For a larger herd (25 or up) thats just FAR to much work.
The loss of time quickly adds up.
Been there done that got the t-shirt

MD

Limomike":15ed7qzt said:
I typically agree with Angus/Brangus, just for the simplicity factor involved with round bales. And, it does depend on your herd size. I keep my round bales on a hilly/gravel area, and I dont see near a 35% waste. (more like 5-10%)
I also bale some square bales to put in the barn close to the pens when I have to put up some heifers, or have a sick cow or calf.

Ditto that.

We store our rounds on pallets, but I've been told to watch for nails and tractor tires. We also unroll what they will eat in 1 day. Our hay loss has dropped to less than 10%. And that is really not "loss" - it goes back into the soil and either mulches for retained moisture while other grass grows or it regrows itself.

redfornow":22f6jf1a said:

I have a retired neighbor that likes to make small squares, and I have a couple kids who need more work to keep them off the street, so we are handling alot of small squares. I plan to build a round bale shed when we get short on help :lol:

redfornow":a3relbaa said:

MD

Ya, saves time to go sit in the coffee shop eh?

Stocker Steve":1f5r6u01 said:
redfornow":1f5r6u01 said:

I have a retired neighbor that likes to make small squares, and I have a couple kids who need more work to keep them off the street, so we are handling alot of small squares. I plan to build a round bale shed when we get short on help :lol:

Steve you remind me of my Dad, he bought our first riding lawn mower the year I left home.
2 acres pushed every week of my life till I got married.
yep good times.

MD

Sorry, that was kinda rude of me, I just get kinda tired of all the new pickups around here parked at the coffee shop, where the owners are in gossiping, while working about 3 months out of the year and that is done from an airconditioned cab.
A little physical labor, doesn't hurt anyone and saves a bunch of hay. :)

Steve you remind me of my Dad, he bought our first riding lawn mower the year I left home.
2 acres pushed every week of my life till I got married.
yep good times. MD

I can top that. My Dad bought the first gas powered lawn mower after the kids left home. Before that we had a reel mower because power mowers were "too dangerous." When we were little my brother and I had to push the reel mower together - - one on each side on the handle. I found out later that the neigbors felt sorry for us, but I don't think there was any permenent damage. :cry:

square bales are labor intensive.you have to handle them 4 times from baling to feeding.plus you need sq bale hay racks.if you have the bale handlers that will save you time loading hay.but if your barns arnt tall enough to stack them with the tractor an loader.your going tobe tired an sore backed from stacking hay in the barns.our wastage on round bales is about 5%.the cows clean the bunks down to the ground.unless the hay is real crappy.

The devil's in the details - how many cows, time, etc. If you have more than a handful of cows, have a "real" job, have kids and other obligations, arent' as young or as strong as you used to be, etc. small bales probably aren't worth messing with. They are time and labor intensive.

Stocker Steve":1uxc436t said:
My Dad bought the first gas powered lawn mower after the kids left home.

Mine did too, but that was around 50 years ago.

Everyone that I know who went from small squares to round bales has said they'd never go back. Feeding out squares is manageable so far with only twenty head. I'll get back to you when I'm up to forty in a couple of years.

That said, here's why I'm sticking with small squares for the time being.

1. I'd need a tractor upgrade to bale and then handle the bales. I'm getting by with a 50 hp gas tractor. I'd love to have a newer diesel, but I can't justify the cost with my current lack of cash flow. Even if I sold my JD 336 and all my racks, I'd still have to kick in some bucks for a decent round baler.

2. I don't have to start a tractor all winter long except to push snow. I can feed the squares right out of the barn.

3. I like the grassy 2nd crop small squares for my weaned calves. They clean it up and its easier to manage.

4. I currently don't have indoor storage for round bales.

5. I sell my surplus hay to local horse folks for a decent price. Why people would want organic horse hay, I don't know. I don't ask, I just take the check.

6. How could I deprive my sons the fun of stacking 5000, 50 lb. character builders?

7. I watch my neighbors putting up loose hay with horses and think to myself "this ain't so bad".

Those of you who have only 5%-10% loss on outside hay, is this an estimate or have you used actual measurements to arrive at these percentages?

KMacGinley":1g1w17lz said:
Sorry, that was kinda rude of me, I just get kinda tired of all the new pickups around here parked at the coffee shop, where the owners are in gossiping, while working about 3 months out of the year and that is done from an airconditioned cab.
A little physical labor, doesn't hurt anyone and saves a bunch of hay. :)

KMacGinley
Didnt take it as rude, just funny.
Takes more than that to get under my skin.
You are right though physical labor never hurt any off us.
But my back just cant take it anymore.
Like I said before I do like to sit....

MD

Latest posts