Farm Truck

Help Support CattleToday:

I like a diesel my self but my trucks are pulling some really heavy loads most of the time and in winter 3 hour round trips. And i expect them to last a long time. For short trips you would likely be fine with a gasser. Friend has a truck with 8.1 and Allison loves it. I have a old 7.3 ps been one heck of a truck and long way from the fence row.

bird dog said:
From what I have read, talked to mechanics, witnessed myself and probably what is happening with Fence is that you may build up some carbon on them from extended idle but pulling a heavy load afterwords or just running them hard will blow most if it out. Since Fence is always hooked up to a heavy trailer, I doubt he will witness the same a a soccer mom waiting for Junior to get out of school.
If you are worried about it, on Ram Cummins you can push the idle into a higher mode by using your cruise control buttons.
It will idle up the same as it does when warming up on a cold day. It goes from 700 RPM's to about 1100. It also makes the AC work better.
All of your post is 100% spot on. I have sold class 5-8 trucks for the past 10 years and been heavily involved with after treatment problems lol. Newer diesels DO NOT LIKE TO IDLE and it does build up excess soot in the particulate filters. How you clean them out is high idle or heavy pulling as Fence does on a daily basis. The new emissions systems were MAJOR problems for my municipal customers because they never shut off all day and barely drove any miles. Not enough to burn off the soot anyways. The recommended way to handle a situation where a long idle is necessary is to use your cruise control to get up to 1100 RPMs. That's recommended by most major engine manufacturers.
I have had to do 4 or 5 regens in the 1 year I have owned my Tier 4 Kubota. When the light comes on your raise RPMs until light flashes then keep it there until the regen is complete. Hasn't been too much of an issue so far.

That being said, I will go with a gasser on my next farm truck for sure :lol2:

I've got both the 6.7 diesel and the 6.2 gas. Get the 6.2 gasser, it'll do just fine for what you need.

My old 13 2500 Cummins is getting some age on it and has put in some hard miles. Just picked up this clean 3500 4x4 with the 6.0 gas and just got it set up like I wanted it for my "new" cow truck/work truck. I love my diesel but the upfront premium plus the maintenance costs are making them less attractive.

JMJ Farms said:
My old 13 2500 Cummins is getting some age on it and has put in some hard miles. Just picked up this clean 3500 4x4 with the 6.0 gas and just got it set up like I wanted it for my "new" cow truck/work truck. I love my diesel but the upfront premium plus the maintenance costs are making them less attractive.

That's a nice truck. :nod:

Brute 23 said:
JMJ Farms said:

That's a nice truck. :nod:

Thanks Brute. I already had the compressor and fuel tank. It had a couple of boxes on it when I bought it and I added another underbody box and the drawer box on the back and relocated the others, fixed some rivets, and painted the bed. Tinted the windows too bc it was hot inside without any. I think it will do fine for the normally short trips I make around here. I still have my 2500 but it needs a new turbo, new tires, and some ac work done on it so I guess that's probably next. Thought about a new one but man they think a lot of them.

kenny thomas said:
We used a 300 6 cylinder for years. Fir short distance the gearing is more important than the power

Around here the 300 (4.9L) Ford I6 had a good reputation. I'm thinking the reason was it was built to pull.... square (bore-stroke), not to compete with the Chevy 289 V8...over square, short stroke. and in later editions, 8.8 compression ratio.

On gassers, don't overlook the Ram Hemis. I had 2 and other than their Champion conventional spark plugs, 2 per cylinder, and having to change every 30k mi. no problems.

Per the www: Run in otherwise stock trim, the 5.7L Hemi produced 385 hp at 5,500 rpm and 421 lb-ft of torque at 4,300 rpm. Illustrating that the Hemis know how to produce more than just peak horsepower was the fact that torque production from the 5.7L exceeded 375 lb-ft from 3,300 rpm to 5,300 rpm.

The last one was a 2009 with the 4-8-4 and the transition was smooth as silk, even when you were paying attention to see if you could catch it. The system required 5W-20 oil.....Ha. Get that 5W-20 engine oil specified and insisted upon out of an engine putting out 421 ft-lbs at 4300 rpms and 375 at 3300.....owner's manual said the oil pump was designed for it and said the 4-8-4 wouldn't work with thicker oil. Even the fill cap on the engine was stamped with 5W-20.

For the record, current mil is a Chevy, 2011, bought new, so I'm not a Dodge lover, just happened to run them for 10 years.

BigBear56 said:
bird dog said:
From what I have read, talked to mechanics, witnessed myself and probably what is happening with Fence is that you may build up some carbon on them from extended idle but pulling a heavy load afterwords or just running them hard will blow most if it out. Since Fence is always hooked up to a heavy trailer, I doubt he will witness the same a a soccer mom waiting for Junior to get out of school.
If you are worried about it, on Ram Cummins you can push the idle into a higher mode by using your cruise control buttons.
It will idle up the same as it does when warming up on a cold day. It goes from 700 RPM's to about 1100. It also makes the AC work better.
All of your post is 100% spot on. I have sold class 5-8 trucks for the past 10 years and been heavily involved with after treatment problems lol. Newer diesels DO NOT LIKE TO IDLE and it does build up excess soot in the particulate filters. How you clean them out is high idle or heavy pulling as Fence does on a daily basis. The new emissions systems were MAJOR problems for my municipal customers because they never shut off all day and barely drove any miles. Not enough to burn off the soot anyways. The recommended way to handle a situation where a long idle is necessary is to use your cruise control to get up to 1100 RPMs. That's recommended by most major engine manufacturers.
I have had to do 4 or 5 regens in the 1 year I have owned my Tier 4 Kubota. When the light comes on your raise RPMs until light flashes then keep it there until the regen is complete. Hasn't been too much of an issue so far.

"I have had to do 4 or 5 regens in the 1 year I have owned my Tier 4 Kubota. When the light comes on your raise RPMs until light flashes then keep it there until the regen is complete. Hasn't been too much of an issue so far."

New neighbors bought a 52 hp JD in 2016. Live in town, maintain cattle on 56 ac. Numerous times I have heard her complain about having to get out and do something to get the regen to clean out the systems when she had her business and home life to handle and didn't have time for it.

Texasmark said:
BigBear56 said:
bird dog said:

"I have had to do 4 or 5 regens in the 1 year I have owned my Tier 4 Kubota. When the light comes on your raise RPMs until light flashes then keep it there until the regen is complete. Hasn't been too much of an issue so far."

New neighbors bought a 52 hp JD in 2016. Live in town, maintain cattle on 56 ac. Numerous times I have heard her complain about having to get out and do something to get the regen to clean out the systems when she had her business and home life to handle and didn't have time for it.

That was something I was really afraid of when I bought mine but I couldn't wait any longer and the deals and warranty on a new one made it worth it IMO. So far it has not been an issue at all (knock on wood). I also live on small acreage but I use my tractor daily and typically for short periods. I run mine with after treatment in mind never letting it idle (always over 1200 RPMS) and running it over 2000 RPMS once a week for 15-20 minutes.

I priced Deere as well. The salesman acted like he didn't have time for me and they were $7k higher on the same spec tractor.

I have a 3/4 ton suburban with a 454 that's as dependable as they come . pulls like a freight train & rides like a Cadillac. It's for sale because I just bought an 03 2500 with an 8.1. I'm pretty sure the 8.1 gets 8mpg. It really likes gas. Stout, though.
I've got two farm trucks a '99 Silverado 2500 with a 454 that hauls cattle from the pasture and does all the dirty work. And my good truck is a '06 Silverado HD with a 8.1 and an Allison trans. Both have 4:10 rear ends. They'll pull anything you can hook them to. The 8.1 will pass anything but a gas station.