farm or ranch

Help Support CattleToday:

branguscowgirl":1uq4kozm said:
We have all kinds of "Farmers" here. Rice farmers, hay farmers, soy bean farmers, potato farmers. Most do not own livestock. People here would not understand if I called myself "a Farmer".

As far as "size" being a determining factor for a "Ranch", much smaller here. More about what you raise.

The real estate folks have a new plug around here, "Ranchette". These are 10 acre plots of land give or take. I'd need a third of that just to hold my equipment.

Some people farm. They are farmers and live on farms. The somantics don't seem all that difficult. There used to be a lot of peanut farms here. Not anymore.

We are all farmers here. If you call yourself a rancher youd get the same looks you get when you wear a cowboy hat anywhere besides a rodeo. You just dont do it.

In the northeast it is farm, regardless if you raise crops or animals. I'm normally a stickler for specific terminology, so appreciate the attempt to make a distinction between the two, but here if you mention ranch it is considered to be something out west which has horses and cowboys, who work some other livestock, which can vary, but cattle, sheep or bison would be the most commonly thought of residents. It is more likely than not in an arid, almost treeless area, with lots of open space, big sky and fancy rock formations and/or buttes. A dude ranch also qualifies as the only definition of a ranch that occurs to many citiots out here.

Remember, it was Old MacDonald's Farm, not ranch, and although they may have discussed his garden, it was more about his animals than not.

I only have one farm. My congratulations to those of you who do have more than one property, but when I promote it as, say, Cranky Yankee Farm, and some joker assumes, and refers to it as Farms, as though it were a salad dressing commercial or something, they usually discover why I earned the nickname.

Craig Miller":1jbwvx7m said:
We are all farmers here. If you call yourself a rancher youd get the same looks you get when you wear a cowboy hat anywhere besides a rodeo. You just dont do it.
Heaven forbid if Californians come to town in your area. Anybody and everybody wears a cowboy hat around here! :lol:

branguscowgirl":11m7brhg said:
Craig Miller":11m7brhg said:
Heaven forbid if Californians come to town in your area. Anybody and everybody wears a cowboy hat around here! :lol:
Most around here wear "gimme" caps....those are the free ones from the feed store, seed company, JD Dealer etc...."gimme a cap". A few wear hats. Usually the goat ropers.

branguscowgirl":2o2o3jr9 said:
Craig Miller":2o2o3jr9 said:

Slim chance of any californians coming to our town :lol2:

I wear a cowboy hat tweenty four seven three sixty five. I never wear it in anywhere, just when I'm outdoors though.

TexasBred":2rr2zkrf said:
branguscowgirl":2rr2zkrf said:
Craig Miller":2rr2zkrf said:
Most around here wear "gimme" caps....those are the free ones from the feed store, seed company, JD Dealer etc...."gimme a cap". A few wear hats. Usually the goat ropers.
Lots of city folks will dress "western" here. Wranglers, hats, boots. You can tell right away the difference between them and a cowboy/cowgirl pretty easy though. It is usually the shape of the hat, the wear on the jeans, the crap on the boots and the type of buckle, that give them away. :lol:
Oh and the calluses on their hands.

I have spent my life in the sun. Spent most of my adult life as a Land Surveyor. Never took care of my skin. I recently started wearing a cowboy hat when I'm outside working. I wear sleeves, hat, and a face guard when I'm on the water.

John SD":3d09wety said:
cowgirl8":3d09wety said:
Ranch here along with plantation.

Now plantation, that does have me stumped. I'll take a shot that it means cotton or tobacco, or am I totally off :idea: :?:
Occasionally you'll find someone who has a growth of planted pine trees on their place refer to their place as a plantation. I'm assuming this is one. Friends down in the Pineywoods of East Texas just say they have timber land.

LRTX1":1relew07 said:
I have spent my life in the sun. Spent most of my adult life as a Land Surveyor. Never took care of my skin. I recently started wearing a cowboy hat when I'm outside working. I wear sleeves, hat, and a face guard when I'm on the water.

My advice to the younger folks here is take care of your skin TODAY. USE SUNSCREEN! And if you can possibly stand them, wear a wide brim hat that shades your face and the back of your neck. Doesn't have to necessarily be a cowboy hat.

Umbrellas, home built shades, or cabs on field equipment is a good idea. I can't stand heat, cold, or dirt any more, so no more cabless tractors for me.

Skin dr cut deep enough on my face to require several stitches a couple years ago to remove my first bonafide skin cancer at age 50. Warfarin certainly complicates the healing afterward. Can't count the stuff he froze off my face, neck, and hands with liquid nitrogen. Nothing on my arms because I've always worn long sleeve shirts.

Given a choice, freezing skin cancers is better than going under the knife. Best is do what you can now to avoid the problem in future years. Too late for old guys like me, the damage is done.

TexasBred":3auqsjcg said:
John SD":3auqsjcg said:
cowgirl8":3auqsjcg said:
Ranch here along with plantation.

Now plantation, that does have me stumped. I'll take a shot that it means cotton or tobacco, or am I totally off :idea: :?:
Occasionally you'll find someone who has a growth of planted pine trees on their place refer to their place as a plantation. I'm assuming this is one. Friends down in the Pineywoods of East Texas just say they have timber land.

NRCS plants a lot of trees around with their tree planter each year. We call them "shelterbelts". My trees are predominantly red cedar/rocky Mtn juniper, Siberian (Chinese) Elm, and Russian Olive.

Here farming is farming and ranching is running cows unless you own citrus and then it's a ranch since the founders of our citrus industry were mostly cattlemen. I tell people I'm a farmer and rancher but I consider my citrus trees to be farming.

Here in KY, farm is the term; nobody uses ranch that I know of. Even when someone shows out enough to have a fancy sign put up, it always reads "farm."

Latest posts