farm or ranch

Help Support CattleToday:

Around here it's more on the size. Lots of town people come in and buy a 5 acre lot and call it a Ranch on a big nice entry. Maybe they'll have a bunny rabbit for the kids. Our place has always been referred to as a farm. Granddad grew crops and kept a few cows around so it's been called a farm since I was a kid. There's really only one place in my area that's referred to as a real ranch and you can still buy it for a low $4,500,000.

slick4591":4a4i89g7 said:
Around here it's more on the size. Lots of town people come in and buy a 5 acre lot and call it a Ranch on a big nice entry. Maybe they'll have a bunny rabbit for the kids. Our place has always been referred to as a farm. Granddad grew crops and kept a few cows around so it's been called a farm since I was a kid. There's really only one place in my area that's referred to as a real ranch and you can still buy it for a low $4,500,000.

People from New Orleans come up here and buy 5 acres and put up a sign over the entrance. We call them ranchetts.

I guess Yankees think plantations and slaves go together. Maybe they should look up Magruder Plantation, Midvill, Ga. It's an active farm and ranch and plantation all in one. And the owners wear cowboy hats and boots. We have lots of plantations in Georgia. And bunches of real ranches in Florida, with plenty of real cowboy's.

It's kind of funny, but I think that Bigfoot and Herofan are right; in KY, people not only don't call their farms ranchers but they'd get angry if their neighbors called their places ranches. "Arrogant SOBs" would be said a lot..

Bigfoot":2o0k8kyv said:
I wear a cowboy hat tweenty four seven three sixty five. I never wear it in anywhere, just when I'm outdoors though.
Bigfoot you sound like my nephew. He says he wears his to the beach...swimsuit, flipflops and his hat. :nod:

Craig Miller":1j0ikvak said:
We are all farmers here. If you call yourself a rancher youd get the same looks you get when you wear a cowboy hat anywhere besides a rodeo. You just dont do it.

Wearing hats is very common in my part of the country, and not just people trying to look country. Like someone else said, the doctor has started carving places off of my face, so I try to wear a straw hat when I'm out in the sun. I don't like to wear it because it feels like it traps the heat, but I usually do. And I wear a gimme cap most of the time in the winter to keep the top of my head warm, but if it's raining I'll grab an old felt hat to keep my ears dry.

skyhightree1":69ovpw7w said:
Farmer here no one uses rancher here
That's the way it is in our parts also. Rancher would sound weird, especially for this side of the muddy river

torogmc81":mq30typs said:
skyhightree1":mq30typs said:
Farmer here no one uses rancher here
That's the way it is in our parts also. Rancher would sound weird, especially for this side of the muddy river
See now we are just the opposite here, Farmer sounds weird to me........ :lol:

dun":3dm5hhmh said:
When we ran under range conditons it was ranching. Now under pasture conditions is farming.

That's exactly my definition.. Especially if you add other agricultural crops that makes it a farm.

We're Nesikep Farm.. We do a bit of specialty grains, and used to row crop as well

Deepsouth":494096p5 said:
A pine plantation is a planted tree farm and not a natural stand. There is not a lot of natural timber left down here.
Thats right, 800 acres of planted loblolly pines at one thinning away from being saw timber on several hundred acres..some planted a few years after the first not quite saw timber yet.. With the prices of cattle, we're thinking of turning it back to pasture once they are clear cut. It will look very weird around here if we do..well, it will look weird no matter what once clear cut..

images

Deepsouth":meiltgx8 said:
A pine plantation is a planted tree farm and not a natural stand. There is not a lot of natural timber left down here.

I get a notice once or twice a week from the lumber people wanting to cut my pines. I get calls too. The people who took out my Aunts' and Uncles' trees wanted mine too.

I would be okay with thinning the old growth pines, but they want to clear cut the place and they want to take out the old growth hardwood too. Not while I am alive.

This is a place I inherited. 200 miles east of me. Used to hunt it as a child. Killed my first deer there over 40 years ago.

I was there holding wire with my Dad and Grandad when my grandmother came honking the horn looking for us. "The president has been shot!" (Kennedy).

Its one of the last places in that area with old growth timber.

GP, y'all have the finest timber around our area without a doubt. And maybe one day they'll make a National Park there. You have the bridge already named, that would be neat.

Thanks, HG. Have you planted corn yet? I'm planning on planting a few acres for wildlife feed (hopefully doves) tomorrow. Got it harrowed and chisel plowed today.

Latest posts