farm or ranch

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, can't you see? He's dressed for a 4th of July party! And he's bringing the beer. :mrgreen:

I am sure he will be a chick magnet. :lol: :lol:

ga.prime":3sxmq8zt said:
Secretary of the Village People fan club.

I like that.

There's a local country radio station that ran an ad a while ago that said something like "Of course we wear shorts with boots. What do you wear to the lake? " Maybe that's what's going on with that guy. He has good taste in beer so he can't be all bad.

TexasBred":2e5sacim said:
Bigfoot":2e5sacim said:
I wear a cowboy hat tweenty four seven three sixty five. I never wear it in anywhere, just when I'm outdoors though.
Bigfoot you sound like my nephew. He says he wears his to the beach...swimsuit, flipflops and his hat. :nod:
I didn't realize you were related to Hook.

Wife said we had to have a sign, so I put one up (behind the house, not out on the public viewed road) that says D&J Farm. (It used to have an 's' on the end of 'farm' but it fell off)

I talked to a guy at the State Fair AG Expo one year who was from West Texas. He told me he ran a 1500ac Cotton Ranch. And I have a friend in Kentucky that says everything there is called a farm. Around Dallas we have both ranches and farms. So I guess the real difference is that ranches are used for ranching where as farms are used for farming :)

Craig Miller":274umuwf said:
We are all farmers here. If you call yourself a rancher youd get the same looks you get when you wear a cowboy hat anywhere besides a rodeo. You just dont do it.
Oh, man!

Down here in Florida they are ranches. And if you call me or anyone around here a farmer then you'll most likely get slapped lol. Most people wouldn't think it but there are some big ranches down here. I work for Deseret Cattle and Citrus and its 290,000 acres with 45,000 head of mama cows. Last place I was at was Lykes Bros. which was 350,000 acres of rough country with about 20,000 head.

Pitchfork-J":8yzdrgpl said:
Down here in Florida they are ranches. And if you call me or anyone around here a farmer then you'll most likely get slapped lol. Most people wouldn't think it but there are some big ranches down here. I work for Deseret Cattle and Citrus and its 290,000 acres with 45,000 head of mama cows. Last place I was at was Lykes Bros. which was 350,000 acres of rough country with about 20,000 head.
Wow!!

Pitchfork-J":3gwilq4x said:

Do you fill out an IRS form 1040 Schedule F or Schedule R? That is the only thing that matters.

Pitchfork-J":18tny4l9 said:
Desert Cattle and Citrus is owned by the Mormon church right??

TexasBred":191l2k1w said:
Pitchfork-J":191l2k1w said:

Yes, and as I understand it, it's one of the reasons they lost their charity tax status. I've also heard that they earn more money from the sell of hunting leases on that land than from cattle. That's old "data" though, so I'm not sure if that's still the case since cattle prices have skyrocketed.

Haven't seen any in a while but they used to make some great cattle feed. Some of the best you could buy.

Gators Rule":18tw7plz said:
TexasBred":18tw7plz said:
Pitchfork-J":18tw7plz said:

Yes, and as I understand it, it's one of the reasons they lost their charity tax status. I've also heard that they earn more money from the sell of hunting leases on that land than from cattle. That's old "data" though, so I'm not sure if that's still the case since cattle prices have skyrocketed.

Yes theyare owned by the church, but it is a for profit company that pays taxes. As far as the hunting leases go, they make 10x as much off of cattle as we do hunting leases.

Latest posts