Fair Haul Rates

Help Support CattleToday:

As an Electrician, if my butt is in the seat, I'm charging. Be it flat rate or drive time. In this case, the 2 times I hired someone to take cows, 18 mi. Was flat $150. I didn't bat an eye. His truck, trailer, and risk. It took at least 30 min. For him to drive there, then sit in line, at least 30 min. To drive home. A win for me.

Never cut someone a deal to get future work. They'll expect the same every time and act like you're robbing them when they don't get it.
People are funny. The only customer I have that complains has so much money that they built a DOT approved bridge on their farm. All my other customers swear I don't charge enough.

$6.50/loaded mile, assuming semi truck/trailer and you are commercially registered and insured. If not and breaking rules, charge whatever you want and hope a commercial hauler doesn't snitch on you.
Welcome to the forum Taiga.
Care to introduce yourself and your general location please.
Are you replying to the 40 mile haul or the 333 mile run?

Last edited:
So what would you charge to take 10 heifer & 2 bull calves 333 miles one way? I will have to add that I sold these calves to the person that I am hauling them for. He wants me to bring them to him.
If I were him and expecting delivery, I would have negotiated the delivery price during the purchase. Wouldn't expect any future business from him. Obvious inability to plan ahead and he won't be in business long.

Glad you can afford to do charity work and i do plenty for people i know but this is a job per the OP. When i am charging it is a job for me as well and how i make a living, hard to feed 4 kids not charging a dime and i promise you at that rate you wouldnt be rich but may have a few dollars of spending money at the end of the week. I burn over $1,000 a month in fuel before tires, repairs and replacement costs. That is likely to soon be a much higher number as fuel continues to climb.
It isn't charity work. It gets worked out in trade. Neither one of us keeps exact track of time or expense but we are both happy. I was just poking the bear. Some of the price quotes seemed a bit high to me.

If I were him and expecting delivery, I would have negotiated the delivery price during the purchase. Wouldn't expect any future business from him. Obvious inability to plan ahead and he won't be in business long.
He said he would come get them, but now realizes that it is a 5 hour drive one way, and it will take him a whole day to get them. Would like me to haul them or at least meet him half way. I guess he figures his time is more important than his.

I'm on the other end. I AM the one that uses a friend to move my cattle and he has cattle expertise and moves his own cattle. We do business differently....He never tells me the price, I never ask him the price....I just pay him well. He lives nearby, comes and helps with the sorting and loading...40 mile trip to sale barn...he knows cattle and mentors me. My thought is..it's always a least a 1/2 day wage...he's putting himself out 2.5 to 4 hours, risks around cattle helping me to sort, has a huge aluminum cattle trailer with 3500 rig, cattle expertise....that's worth $300. minimum for 1/2 day. If we have time consuming issues, he gets extra padded on that $300. He was a friend of a friend of my wife (I didn't know him) and he worked for me the first time without even talking price. What I prefer. ( I only say.."I'll take good care of you") For myself, I like when people do things I request without talking price...to trust me and that i understand the deal and let me take care of you. That's how my dad always did a contracts, for dozer work anything...never talk price, both sides have integrity and can remain quiet....just pay daily (what's been done) and pay well. Their equipment gets beat up, gasoline and maintenance. Same goes for haying equipment...fertilizer and seeding. Pay the hay's value..it's depleting their land and enhancing your land.

I haul my own to the stockyard, but recently paid $3.50 mi. from point of sale/load to my house on a few occasions and felt it was a fair trade. I usually load and unload myself, but my buddy doing the hauling will definitely jump in the chute at no extra charge.
I pay him even if he is hauling some of his own, but in the past he has cut his price. I am getting the same service regardless, so I don't mind if he can make a little extra once in a while. He is the kind of neighbor who will drop everything to help pull a calf or otherwise lend a hand and you just can't put a price on that.
Hope everyone is having a good fall, getting that livestock prepped for winter and if it's calving season for you, wishing you a low birth weight and rapid gains!

I'm on the other end. I AM the one that uses a friend to move my cattle and he has cattle expertise and moves his own cattle. We do business differently....He never tells me the price, I never ask him the price....I just pay him well. He lives nearby, comes and helps with the sorting and loading...40 mile trip to sale barn...he knows cattle and mentors me. My thought is..it's always a least a 1/2 day wage...he's putting himself out 2.5 to 4 hours, risks around cattle helping me to sort, has a huge aluminum cattle trailer with 3500 rig, cattle expertise....that's worth $300. minimum for 1/2 day. If we have time consuming issues, he gets extra padded on that $300. He was a friend of a friend of my wife (I didn't know him) and he worked for me the first time without even talking price. What I prefer. ( I only say.."I'll take good care of you") For myself, I like when people do things I request without talking price...to trust me and that i understand the deal and let me take care of you. That's how my dad always did a contracts, for dozer work anything...never talk price, both sides have integrity and can remain quiet....just pay daily (what's been done) and pay well. Their equipment gets beat up, gasoline and maintenance. Same goes for haying equipment...fertilizer and seeding. Pay the hay's value..it's depleting their land and enhancing your land.
I think we were writing at the same time with very similar sentiments. I usually trade that way and I am quite fortunate to have neighbors who operate with the integrity you are talking about. While it's not uncommon to have someone in the catch pen who has no idea what they are doing but eager to be there, I also have folks who are quite knowledgeable and adept who refuse help. For the latter, I get creative on compensation and there have been unfounded rumors that they were compensated with a clear liquid from a gallon jug. I do my best to put a newcomer somewhere they can watch and learn and any mistakes they make aren't fatal to the operation and try not to cuss them too much. Unless they cut an animal right on top of me,

I have a similar deal with the neighbors but I am the "expert", poor them that I'm the brains lol. The only thing I'm good at is eating and sleeping the rest I just struggle through!

The wife and boys kept the cattle when Chip died and they never did anything with them while he was alive. Chip was like an extra uncle to me, heck they're all like family, so I never ask for a dime when they call, do suggest cherry or peach pies though as his wife is an expert baker! They always pay me well but I never expect it, I tell them that's what neighbors are for.

I'm on the other end. I AM the one that uses a friend to move my cattle and he has cattle expertise and moves his own cattle. We do business differently....He never tells me the price, I never ask him the price....I just pay him well. He lives nearby, comes and helps with the sorting and loading...40 mile trip to sale barn...he knows cattle and mentors me. My thought is..it's always a least a 1/2 day wage...he's putting himself out 2.5 to 4 hours, risks around cattle helping me to sort, has a huge aluminum cattle trailer with 3500 rig, cattle expertise....that's worth $300. minimum for 1/2 day. If we have time consuming issues, he gets extra padded on that $300. He was a friend of a friend of my wife (I didn't know him) and he worked for me the first time without even talking price. What I prfer. ( I only say.."I'll take good care of you") For myself, I like when people do things I request without talking price...to trust me and that i understand the deal and let me take care of you. That's how my dad always did a contracts, for dozer work anything...never talk price, both sides have integrity and can remain quiet....just pay daily (what's been done) and pay well. Their equipment gets beat up, gasoline and maintenance. Same goes for haying equipment...fertilizer and seeding. Pay the hay's value..it's depleting their land and enhancing your land.

That may work great for you or your area, I don't believe it would be any count here. If I let people "take care of me" around here I'd be broke. I'm not saying everyone, but alot of people expect stuff for nothing.

Gooseneck Flat Trailer or Cattle Trailer around here costs about $3.00 per loaded mile. I think a $150 - $200 minimum would be fair though for shorter distances since it takes time to set up, load and unload.

Latest posts