Fair Haul Rates

Help Support CattleToday:

Is it 40mi. one way or 40 mi. total.? Same question for the time. Also how far from you to get to where you are loading. The thing with hauling ( especially short hauls) is you usually have more time and expense in getting there and back home than in the actual job. I do a good bit of it. I have a $150 minimum and a haul like you describe depending on the other factors involved would be between there and $250 pretty easy. Its your time, equipment and hassle and it is worth that. It sounds like good money until you bust a tire on something in his field you didnt see, slide your truck into a post or you get there and his facilities are crap and it takes 2 hrs to load. Trust me all of that stuff happens no matter how careful you are. He can go buy his own $50k-$100k rig if he thinks $200 is to much.

$2.50 per loaded mile for small truck/trailer, $4 per for 18 wheeler. Getting a high clearance sprayer hauled soon, he has a 100 mile or $400 minimum. I didn't bat an eye, bring it. Trucking is a fairly low margin business. My dad's been a grain hauler his whole life so I know pretty well what the expenses are. On two 18 wheelers it costs him over $12000 a year in license and insurance alone.

""guess we have a difference of opinion on the definition of FAIR""
Its not the $5 per mile that matters, its the short distance. I wouldn't even hook up for less than than that except for a friend or neighbor and then I would do it for free.
Smokin is right, to many things can go wrong.

The $100 I mentioned above is what I would expect a friend to give me even though I would ask for nothing. At least that is what I would do.

I would be rich at the rates most of you would charge. In the last 2 weeks I hauled 4 loads about 20 miles one way coming out of the hills. And a load 65 miles to the sale. Didn't charge a dime. But I did have one pair involved. The cow went to the sale along with 6 other cows and a bull. The calf came home accompanied with about 79 other calves.

I would be rich at the rates most of you would charge. In the last 2 weeks I hauled 4 loads about 20 miles one way coming out of the hills. And a load 65 miles to the sale. Didn't charge a dime. But I did have one pair involved. The cow went to the sale along with 6 other cows and a bull. The calf came home accompanied with about 79 other calves.
Glad you can afford to do charity work and i do plenty for people i know but this is a job per the OP. When i am charging it is a job for me as well and how i make a living, hard to feed 4 kids not charging a dime and i promise you at that rate you wouldnt be rich but may have a few dollars of spending money at the end of the week. I burn over $1,000 a month in fuel before tires, repairs and replacement costs. That is likely to soon be a much higher number as fuel continues to climb.

$6.50/loaded mile, assuming semi truck/trailer and you are commercially registered and insured. If not and breaking rules, charge whatever you want and hope a commercial hauler doesn't snitch on you.

So what would you charge to take 10 heifer & 2 bull calves 333 miles one way? I will have to add that I sold these calves to the person that I am hauling them for. He wants me to bring them to him.

I haul a lot of "mixed" loads of market cattle. i.e. Bob has 1 mrkt cow, Bill has two fats, John has a mrkt bull, ect. Then I change $60/ a stop. They all end up at the same sale barn, I usually have one of my own mixed in on a load. It saves me from hauling 1 hd 50miles, pays for my gas, and the inevitable stop at McDonald's on the way home that keeps the kids happy.

How big is your truck and trailer?
$200 minimum if it's a job.
$100 if for a buddy.

What you do is $200 for a buddy. (Depends on the buddy)
150. For anybody else.
Make it seem like your really cut them a deal. Talk it up real good like a sale man but not to much. 😉

I don't know anything about hauling. In my opinion it would be different depending on what you drive, your fuel mileage. 😁 What I'd do is figure my fuel for the trip. Figure the fuel pulling a trailer not your normal mileage. If it's highway or back roads will differ your mileage as well, along with mountains versus flat. I believe there is a website that will figure fuel miles and trips. After I come up with my fuel cost for the trip, I'd figure my time and add a price on top for that. I'm sure this isn't necessarily legit. Just my opinion. 🙌🏾
Fuel plus $25-35 an hour at least. And can you get a load coming back. Double up.

Look at it like this if you had your truck repaired that Mechanic would add labor, parts, ect.
Or if you have a job done at your house a electrician would add labor, parts ect.
No different with you hauling.

I haul a lot of "mixed" loads of market cattle. i.e. Bob has 1 mrkt cow, Bill has two fats, John has a mrkt bull, ect. Then I change $60/ a stop. They all end up at the same sale barn, I usually have one of my own mixed in on a load. It saves me from hauling 1 hd 50miles, pays for my gas, and the inevitable stop at McDonald's on the way home that keeps the kids happy.

Darn I like how you think!! Minus the McDonald's.

So what would you charge to take 10 heifer & 2 bull calves 333 miles one way? I will have to add that I sold these calves to the person that I am hauling them for. He wants me to bring them to him.
A big difference in this hauling. If he is happy with getting them delivered he very well might be a repeat customer on buying more cattle from you in the future. I would probably do that hauling for 5-600.

Latest posts