Fair price for a Jersey Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
:?: Hi I'm looking to sell a 7 month old Jersey steer and I'm wanting to know what a fair asking price is?

I could sell a jersey of that size today for about $500-$800. Id start at $800 but probably end up around $500. Around here jerseys aren't worth much. Worth more if I feed them until about 12 months. I sold one last month for $750 and he was 11 months.

Aaron said:
If you can find a sucker to pay you $400 US, run as fast as you can. It would be worth $200-300 US here.

😄 or less.... I think longhorns bring more than jerseys here.

Watched a half dozen sell last week. They brought about 40 cents a pound. So $200 if it weighs 500 pounds. They aren't worth raising.

1982vett said:
Aaron said:
If you can find a sucker to pay you $400 US, run as fast as you can. It would be worth $200-300 US here.

😄 or less.... I think longhorns bring more than jerseys here.

A longhorn is a novelty here. They sell for way too much.

Thank you for the advice, I put him on craigslist for $300 obo. The last time I sold a Jersey at the sale barn it was 9 months old and I got $90 for it, the sad thing was I'd paid $90 for it as a 2 day old calf, because I was told that people like buying them. 🤔🤔🤔

Hereford2 said:
Thank you for the advice, I put him on craigslist for $300 obo. The last time I sold a Jersey at the sale barn it was 9 months old and I got $90 for it, the sad thing was I'd paid $90 for it as a 2 day old calf, because I was told that people like buying them. 🤔🤔🤔

Newborn Jersey is worth $40 max. I honestly don't know why they even exist. Jersey nurse cows should be bred to a beef bull (BA is best because it gives a solid paint job) and Jersey dairies should be using sexed semen.

Aaron said:
Hereford2 said:

Newborn Jersey is worth $40 max. I honestly don't know why they even exist. Jersey nurse cows should be bred to a beef bull (BA is best because it gives a solid paint job) and Jersey dairies should be using sexed semen.

A jersey heifer calf sells here for about $50. Bull $10 maybe. Usually free. Even the dairies using sexed semen give me bull calves. I bred our jersey to a red angus bull last year and got this calf. It was better than a jersey. She is a nurse cow.

But, i still have no problem selling a fed jersey steer here. Some people like jersey meat for whatever reason

I am glad they exist because they are the cutest little things ever and if i had the room id take them all :help:

kenny thomas said:
I need one weighing 1100 abd finished. Good eating.

Don't know if it's true but I've heard it said Jersey is the best marbling beef there is (after Wagyu I suppose), and a fine eating experience. I think it's the fact that it takes a lot of money to get one finished that creates the problem.

Aaron said:
Hereford2 said:

Aaron, you are sounding about as negative towards the Jerseys as you were in another post about Herefords. You're not on a secret crossbreeding program are you?

Thank you all for the advice. If I don't sell mine I may throw him on a back pasture for a couple of years lol

Silver said:
Aaron said:
Hereford2 said:

Aaron, you are sounding about as negative towards the Jerseys as you were in another post about Herefords. You're not on a secret crossbreeding program are you?

Dexters x Zebu. Gonna be filthy stinkin' rich I tell ya.

Jerseys go for $30 or less here as bottle calves. I did sell a bull calf last summer to someone that likes Jersey bulls. 300lbs. Got $275 but that was a rare thing! If you don't steer them you can get fair weight. Processed our Jersey bull last year, his hanging weight before dressing out was 1242 lbs. I have now a Hereford bull over my Jerseys and Hereford cows. Calves due anytime so will let you know how it goes.

chaneysranch said:
Jerseys go for $30 or less here as bottle calves. I did sell a bull calf last summer to someone that likes Jersey bulls. 300lbs. Got $275 but that was a rare thing! If you don't steer them you can get fair weight. Processed our Jersey bull last year, his hanging weight before dressing out was 1242 lbs. I have now a Hereford bull over my Jerseys and Hereford cows. Calves due anytime so will let you know how it goes.

With the Hereford Jersey cross you will get lots dark noses and brindle coloring. I would strongly suggest an Angus bull next time to cover up the Jersey influence.

Now I have to go have a shower and wash off what I just suggested.

Aaron said:
chaneysranch said:

With the Hereford Jersey cross you will get lots dark noses and brindle coloring. I would strongly suggest an Angus bull next time to cover up the Jersey influence.

Now I have to go have a shower and wash off what I just suggested.

Take a good shower Aaron. I knew a guy who bought every Jersey/Hereford he could find. Small gentle cows that raised big calves. He used a Black Angus bull....... extra soap and shampoo Aaron.

Latest posts