sale commission rates

Help Support CattleToday:

We buy all of ours off the farm and it does save a commission and hauling bill for me. They deliver free and it cost around a hundred dollars for the livestock company to come 22 miles and pick them up.
I do not like to buy from the sale as you never know what you are getting. Most of the time there is a problem or they wouldn't be selling.

I don't ever get a drink or chips. Guess I'll have to start. I do enjoy those cans of peanuts though!

My favorite too, but my husband likes the others better. We usually get honey roasted though. One time years ago, when Allen's granddaddy was at the head, they gave nice plastic containers of the best strawberry preserves. That was probably close to thirty years ago. Mama still has the container.

Bigfoot":2buurfac said:
I buy a lot of heifers off the farm from people. Always just commercial heifers. Ofcourse, I'll only give, what I'm willing to give. People never seem to remember they are saving commission.
We have sold lots of heifers off the farm. some people always use that statement "your saving commission" on me. I always take the quality in to the equation, if I feel they are good heifers I usually ask a little above market. Most of the time I get it, sometimes I do budge a little to save a trip to the sale barn. For some of the small sales I don't see how they keep the doors open for what they get, others seem like they are making good money.

tom4018":22i960al said:
Bigfoot":22i960al said:
I buy a lot of heifers off the farm from people. Always just commercial heifers. Ofcourse, I'll only give, what I'm willing to give. People never seem to remember they are saving commission.
We have sold lots of heifers off the farm. some people always use that statement "your saving commission" on me. I always take the quality in to the equation, if I feel they are good heifers I usually ask a little above market. Most of the time I get it, sometimes I do budge a little to save a trip to the sale barn. For some of the small sales I don't see how they keep the doors open for what they get, others seem like they are making good money.

You gotta figure though, every other commercial calf born in the United States last year was a heifer. There not exactly in short supply. $50 over market, and no commission is about $100 more than they would bring at the yard. A true F1 heifer is worth a true premium to me. I'll sit my satchel down for one of them. I'm not going much over market on anything less.

The thing I don't like about selling off the farm, is you have to allow folks you don't know on your property. Lots of thieves and thugs on Craigslist. And they might be casing your stuff or your cattle. You can never be to careful.

highgrit":gwgmt7hv said:
The thing I don't like about selling off the farm, is you have to allow folks you don't know on your property. Lots of thieves and thugs on Craigslist. And they might be casing your stuff or your cattle. You can never be to careful.
I have thought about that. I have cameras watching the drive and wife is usually home and she know how to make lead fly.

highgrit":421edwsv said:

I feel the same way. I don't care to have people trying to point out faults and trying to work a deal on me. I've had folks tell me the same thing Tom mentioned on the commission also.
I've sold some replacement heifers directly but no more than I move, it's just easier to get them loaded on my schedule and on to the market. Then I'm done. To the surprise of a lot of folks, when I sell at the yard it's not due to my calves having problems, that's just for the most part where and how I market mine.

Named'em Tamed'em":3pvpdmh8 said:
Chehalis livestock auction 75 miles away charges 4% for beef and 5% for dairy, 10 % on smalls.

Not sure about Toppinish.

Toppenish is 3%. And they don't have the little hidden fees like yardage, etc. I figured the difference one year and with the additional trucking cost and feed included it cost me a penny a pound more to sell at Toppenish (180 miles away) than to sell at Chehalis (20 miles away). But on the year I figured that I got 29 cents a pound more at Toppenish.

i looked at our sale barn checks today and they charged about $45 a hd commision.they charged liked $2.45 a hd ins.that used tobe .15 cents a hd.

Latest posts