Fair price

Help Support CattleToday:

danl

Reaction score
I fattened two steers up to 2300 pounds between the two of them. Pretty close to same size.
Going to split with my dad and two brothers.

What is a fair price per pound?
Dad is going to pay me for both of them then we pay him back.
Can't figure out how much to charge.

They aren't asking me to give them away, they want it to be fair.

Any input?
Btw if it matters they are black Angus

My Tyson buyer told me yesterday that they bought 10,000 cattle by Wednesday last week with a huge spread $1-$1.10/lb live.
What do you have invested in them? Since it's a family deal is it fair to ask for your break even?
Any of us that have cattle ready to market right now are feeling the hurt of an unknown consumer market.

Thanks Kenny and Sbmf.
I came up with about the same numbers using both your answers.

About 105.00 to 110.00 /lb. Dad mentioned 1.25 and I said that was too much.

If he feels that is too much then go with the 110. and you will be fair to both. Corbitt Wall with DV Auctions and does the feeder flash said that the ones with fats were trying to get together to make the slaughter companies pay 115. The price is down to around 105 to 110. The price of boxed beef has jumped over $20 in the past 2 days so that tells you they are raping the supplier and royally screwing the buyers out there.
I think that 1.10 is a fair price for family and for you if you don't have a ton of money in feed to finish. Then you need to figure what you have in them and be fair to yourself too.

farmerjan said:
If he feels that is too much then go with the 110. and you will be fair to both. Corbitt Wall with DV Auctions and does the feeder flash said that the ones with fats were trying to get together to make the slaughter companies pay 115. The price is down to around 105 to 110. The price of boxed beef has jumped over $20 in the past 2 days so that tells you they are raping the supplier and royally screwing the buyers out there.
I think that 1.10 is a fair price for family and for you if you don't have a ton of money in feed to finish. Then you need to figure what you have in them and be fair to yourself too.
That's every week. The packers were bidding $1.08 yesterday. The feedlots were asking $1.12-.15. They'll probably get together on Friday. They usually do, and if they don't the packers won't care.
Every one who feeds cattle for a living understands that if we hold on to them to long, then we have heavy cattle. The packers really cut their bid when we (as an industry) ship to many heavies.
Regardless of what they sometimes say; the packers always make money. The packers are making $X a Hd right now. They are not willing to change that. They have plenty of supply in the coolers and it isn't moving as fast as it was 2 weeks ago.
Until we can get through this unexpected surplus of cheap pork, beef will struggle to maintain is share of sales in the grocery store.

Latest posts