Fair price for Cow calf pairs?

Help Support CattleToday:

well your in a region where more full time cattle ranchers are raising good cattle. here is a lot of hobby and cattle trading going on. so the sale barns are full of junk. yes there are good cattle.. but you will very rarely see a large herd move through unless its an advertised sale.. and you're not getting them for cheap.

I have no problem with buying a good round of cows that come through like you described. ( I would of bought some)

ddd75":1rpwogxp said:
I never said the best cows at the barn go for cheap, I was arguing the values people are putting on a good solid cow .. quoting low sale barn prices as if that matters.

Every farmer / person that I know put a higher value on proven off the farm cattle, giving them a higher 'market value'. So your comment about how the stockyard price indicates 'market value' is completely wrong. You can obviously look at any private sale, herd sellout sale, etc. to reflect that.
It seems you don't really know a lot about sale barns. No one here quoted low sales barn prices. They were quoting average prices for good quality pairs through the local sale barn. And the price someone asks for the animals is not "market value". Maybe you should look up that term.
Congrats on derailing the thread.

Finally heard back, he is wanting 2000 a pair so you guys are right on for private sale. Like I say, he has been raising cattle for years and they are some nice looking pairs.

I have a small young cow that threw a dink calf, I will take her to the sale barn, I am sure she is bred back and will have her tested, any idea what she will bring, I am guessing she is light, like 1100 or so? just a wild guess. Will she even bring a buck a pound if I confirm she is pregnant?

This would allow me to improve my small herd and get rid of the squirrlly one.

ddd75":uegwhj4k said:
[

sky.. I don't buy 3-5 cows a year at the barn like you. I've been buying 50 - 100 a year at the barns for several years. Trust me, I am not scared of the barns as I usually go to 3 sales a week.

I've had great success with sale barn cattle as well. but if you pencil it out, each and every time buying a known good cow is always better then buying an unknown. (as long as you're not buying these crazy 3-6k special sale fancy cows) I'm not talking about the fancy cows. just a good herd you might be able to find where someone is getting out. You know maybe paying 200 more per head?? thats all i'm saying.. it's hard to find, but if you can, you're far better off.

I buy 3-5 cows a year at the barn :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Pretty funny... I guess thats meant to try to belittle me however the joke is on you because I don't buy cows from the barn every year. I actually bought in big when they were cheap from the drought and cashed out on them this spring and summer. I liked fooling with calves and buying those while prices were good...If you are bragging you buy 50-100 per year from the barn I hate to burst your big ego because there is many on this board that do that per week. The point is I do not suffer losses like you do apparently and I do know how to make money off the ones I do buy and what to look for. Just because you may buy more than someone doesn't mean you know what the H..l you are doing. I don't know anyone that buys in your words 50-100 a year and loses like you stated. If they do there really unlucky or just plain stupid and shouldnt fool with cattle.

M.Magis":2z3tyogc said:
ddd75":2z3tyogc said:
I never said the best cows at the barn go for cheap, I was arguing the values people are putting on a good solid cow .. quoting low sale barn prices as if that matters.

Every farmer / person that I know put a higher value on proven off the farm cattle, giving them a higher 'market value'. So your comment about how the stockyard price indicates 'market value' is completely wrong. You can obviously look at any private sale, herd sellout sale, etc. to reflect that.
It seems you don't really know a lot about sale barns. No one here quoted low sales barn prices. They were quoting average prices for good quality pairs through the local sale barn. And the price someone asks for the animals is not "market value". Maybe you should look up that term.
Congrats on derailing the thread.

M.Magis apparently he has learned absolutely nothing about the barn while hes been buying his "50-100 head yearly"

ddd75":1iumkbo0 said:
well your in a region where more full time cattle ranchers are raising good cattle. here is a lot of hobby and cattle trading going on. so the sale barns are full of junk. yes there are good cattle.. but you will very rarely see a large herd move through unless its an advertised sale.. and you're not getting them for cheap.

I have no problem with buying a good round of cows that come through like you described. ( I would of bought some)

The is one bred cow sale at one barn here in KY that is cows that one man buys out of the weigh pen, feeds them good and gets them bred. I am sure some end up being good but they got sold for a reason.

Latest posts