F-150 Ecoboost

Help Support CattleToday:

A.J.

Reaction score
Does anyone here know about or have experience with the Ford Ecoboost? I'm having to update my daily driver and want it to be a 1/2 ton truck that can still be used as a work truck around the farm. I've heard good things about the F-150 with the Ecoboost, but don't see a lot around with high mileage. I didn't know if that was because they haven't been around all that long since they just started making them around 2011, or if they had a lot of issues once they got higher mileage on them. I see a lot of them for sale with around 120,000 or so miles. My current budget looks like it would limit me to one with 100,000+ miles, so I'd hate to buy one and get hit with expensive repairs right off the bat if they are known to be problematic. I don't see as many with the 5.0 v8 in them.

I've got a friend that just bought his second one. He owns a construction company and uses it as a daily driver. Checking crews and doing estimates. But it does end up hooked to trailer fairly often. I've been impressed with it's towing. He's had no major problems I'm aware of...............that's all I got.......

I have a 2018 F150 with 3.5L ecoboost, 22k miles, crew cab 4x4. Bought the truck to drive to work (90 mile round trip). I average 23-24 mpg, will do 26 if i keep my foot out of it. This is my second one, i highly recommend.

Some vehicles now have this auto stop/start feature that shuts the engine down when you stop at traffic lights, etc. When I hear eco, I wonder if this is one of them. I know on some models/engines, you can turn the feature off and some you cannot. First car I rented that had this feature, I thought it had broke down when I came to the first traffic light. I would be hard pressed to buy one that could not have that turned off. I keep vehicles until they are so old that I worry if they are going to start. Does the F-150 ecoboost have that?

Go read reviews online. They are not known for being a dependable, high mileage vehicles. Any thing eith a turbo will get expensive at some point.

The 5.0L F150 however is extremely reliable in to the high mileage range. My dad is running one with 230k+ miles and I have one with 150K on it. Both were bought at the fraction of the cost of the ecoboost. My cousin also bought one last year and purposely stayed away from the ecoboost. Reviews online will confirm their reliability.

I would dodge any thing that starts and stops. Logic says that will not last long term.

simme said:
Some vehicles now have this auto stop/start feature that shuts the engine down when you stop at traffic lights, etc. When I hear eco, I wonder if this is one of them. I know on some models/engines, you can turn the feature off and some you cannot. First car I rented that had this feature, I thought it had broke down when I came to the first traffic light. I would be hard pressed to buy one that could not have that turned off. I keep vehicles until they are so old that I worry if they are going to start. Does the F-150 ecoboost have that?

I've had a car with that feature for three years now. Bought it used and didn't notice it on the test drive. It bothered me at first, but I've gotten used to it. One thing I've noticed is that if I brake lightly enough it doesn't turn off.

Just got done reading about 10 different reviews and from what I found do to shear numbers sold they did about as good as any. With upto 26mpg and from what I read I would like to have one. No experience myself, but from others the power is unreal to be such a small engine.

Ford announced they will be adding Auto Start-Stop technology as standard equipment across the entire 2017 Ford F-150 EcoBoost lineup, including the all-new F-150 Raptor. This technology is already in use in other Ford EcoBoost-powered vehicles, and will help F-150 owners save even more money at the pump.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk03yjVGCVvrcjWtBMymQ9GTZkqaL0w%3A1599066595529&source=hp&ei=49FPX6mcHcqIytMP_LeFKA&q=echoboost+reviews&oq=echoboost+reviews&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIECAAQDTIECAAQDTIGCAAQFhAeMggIABAWEAoQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjoHCC4QJxCTAjoECCMQJzoECC4QJzoFCAAQsQM6CAgAELEDEIMBOgIIADoICC4QsQMQgwE6BQguELEDOggILhDHARCjAjoCCC46BAgAEAo6BAguEApQzApY2mBglGVoAnAAeACAAf8DiAH2EJIBCjE2LjEuMS41LTGYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjpmZWj-8rrAhVKhHIEHfxbAQUQ4dUDCAk&uact=5

I have a 2013 F150 Ecoboost that has 330,000km on it (miles = 205,052). Its had no real issues. In its lifetime ive probably put $5,000 into it so i think that's pretty good. We also buy them in a fleet for our steel company and no issues. Its decent on gas. Better than my car actually. I do mostly highway driving with it but its at about 12.5L/100km.

Although. I am about to replace it with a GMC Sierra 250. Only bcs I like the way it looks more and i need an upgrade.

I've rented EcoBoosts and the fuel economy was nothing special. My 2500 diesel will do the same and out do it in some cases with 35" tires and a toolbox full of tools. You get on the pedal and you will be sub 15mpgs and a trailer can take it to single digits in a heart beat.

The crazy thing is there is not much of a price difference between the EcoBoost and a 3/4 diesel. The resale of the 3/4 diesel will kill the ecoboost.

Wife bought a 14 model with the 3.5L in it and I have been very impressed with it. Had it not quite a year and put almost 20k miles on it. Has a ton of power, will pull circles around my 5.4 or 4.6 Tritons. Lots of low end power and drives SMOOTH. It ain't a Prius but gas mileage is good for what you get. Also doesn't rev up high to make power like most new gas motors, rarely see it break 2k rpms and have to really get on it to break 2500.

Everybody we talked to before we bought it had only good things to say and saw plenty north of 200k miles and running like new. Based on what I have seen I have no doubt this one should go that far. Would buy another in a minute.

Edit to add: For me I steered clear of newer ones with the auto off/on feature. I don't want that on anything I own as startup is the hardest on a motor and burns more fuel in the end.

Thank y'all for the good input. It's crazy what used trucks are bringing. I'm trying to do my homework so I don't spend too much and still wind up with buyers remorse.

I had a 15' with the 3.5 and it was a nice truck. I ended up going to a f250 and now a f350 but if I ever got another 1/2 ton it would be a F-150 with 3.5 eco.

We have an '18 that has a little over 20k miles on it. Combined average mileage is right at 21. It's my wife's daily driver, and she drives it hard. I've pulled several different trailers with it, the heaviest being a 6'8" x 20' Circle D stock trailer (5k empty) with 4K of cattle in it. It's not a diesel, but it's amazing for a half ton gasser - out pull's a lot of 3/4 ton gassers I've driven. I don't think you could do 9-10k everyday and expect it to hold up (because it is a half ton) but if you need to do it occasionally and you're careful about it, I think it'll do fine. I've honestly been considering buying my wife an suv and using it to replace my aging 3/4 ton daily driver - but I do still have other 3/4 tons, too.

Nothing against the 5.0 - we considered it, but I've had the itch to try the ecoboost. So far I'm not disappointed. At the time we bought ours, there were some really good discounts on certain packages and combinations, and it worked out to be pretty comparable to the V8's (and much cheaper than any new diesel). The auto start/stop feature is standard on all half ton Fords, but there is a button on the dash to disable that feature. I turn it off every time I get in it. I know you can have it completely removed from the computer program, but I'm afraid it could affect warranty issues down the road.

A.J. said:
Thank y'all for the good input. It's crazy what used trucks are bringing. I'm trying to do my homework so I don't spend too much and still wind up with buyers remorse.

Its true that 2014 with 200,000 miles on it i referenced...i was offered $8k at trade in. I thought that was very high. Yes its a good working truck but i drove that thing to rust.

I am not sure if the timing is the same in the US but in Canada we get our 2021's in middle of september. So if you buy one of the 2020's that didnt sell you will typically get a good deal. I am waiting to October so they get a bit more desperate.

My wife has a 2012 Eco Boost. It's been a good little truck,but now at 160,000 kms (100k miles) the exhaust manifolds are cracked and it's about a $3,500 CAD job to get them changed out. I might tackle it myself this winter, not sure. Other than that it's just been regular maintenance.

cowgal604 said:
I have a 2013 F150 Ecoboost that has 330,000km on it (miles = 205,052). Its had no real issues. In its lifetime ive probably put $5,000 into it so i think that's pretty good. We also buy them in a fleet for our steel company and no issues. Its decent on gas. Better than my car actually. I do mostly highway driving with it but its at about 12.5L/100km.

Although. I am about to replace it with a GMC Sierra 250. Only bcs I like the way it looks more and i need an upgrade.

I have a 4.7, 8, or 9, (keep forgetting which as I had a Dodge 4.7 I think it was) conventional push rod, MPFI, no fancy stuff like 4-8-4, or variable valve timing, 4 speed auto, 2011 1500 2wd Silverado and my total repair outlay, only repairs to the vehicle having bought new, has been $250 roughly for a section of wiring harness a rat chewed up..parts and labor. It gets 16 easily on a daily basis town and country driving, don't know trip mileage as I don't take trips. Takes a lot of gas to get up to $5k.

I have several friends that have them and they have no complaints. That twin turbo will tote most anything you want. I was just talking to a friend about his yesterday and he likes his so much he is thinking of trading for a newer one. He did say that the newer ones 2018 and up I believe were even more reliable than the older versions. Something about having 2 tensioners on the timing belt instead of one. If I was in the market for a new gas burner I'd buy one.

Texasmark said:
cowgal604 said:

I have a 4.7, 8, or 9, (keep forgetting which as I had a Dodge 4.7 I think it was) conventional push rod, MPFI, no fancy stuff like 4-8-4, or variable valve timing, 4 speed auto, 2011 1500 2wd Silverado and my total repair outlay, only repairs to the vehicle having bought new, has been $250 roughly for a section of wiring harness a rat chewed up..parts and labor. It gets 16 easily on a daily basis town and country driving, don't know trip mileage as I don't take trips. Takes a lot of gas to get up to $5k.

I am not going to lie though I am scared to buy a GMC/Chevy. We have owned many Cadillacs, bought all brand new, all have very bad issues. Our last 2013 Cadillac XTS we bought brand new and it needed a new transmission at 50,000 miles. Right at the warranty expiry. We fought and ended up getting it covered by parked it for a year well we argued with them about it! Hoping they make better trucks than they do cars because the Silverado/Sierra is just so pretty.

I had a 2011 that I kept for 60k miles and loved it. It was amazing how well that little engine would pull. I regularly pulled a 24 ft goosneck flat bed with it and it pulled it just fine, it just liked brake pads. That truck had a lot more go than woh.