F-1 tigerstripe question

Help Support CattleToday:

aggieband 83

Reaction score
I need some opinions. What cross will give the best "tigerstripe markings" between the following two options:

• Registered purebred Brahman bull x Registered purebred Hereford cow.

or

Registered purebred Hereford bull x Registered purebred Brahman cow.

Also, (with the same two options and irregardless of tigerstipe markings or red hide) which cross will yield the better hybrid vigor/heterosis needed for a momma cow?

which is worth more? 4 quarters or a dollar bill?

I remember reading from someone at A&M(I can't seem to find now) that using brahman cows had slightly better unassisted calving rates than with the hereford. However, the tradeoff is you'll usually pay more for good quality brahman cows than hereford. We mostly use brahman cows and AI with herford bulls.

I've heard people say all sorts of things. Light colored herford bull, polled, dark brahman cows. I have found it does not make two bits worth of diference. Just sell heifers in lots of the same color.
As far as breed, like Proverbs, I prefer the brahman cow and again AI on the herford side. As you may have worse winters than me, you might want to go with the herford cows.
The most important ingrediant is chooseing the right genetics in which ever cow or bull you use.

if you can get some good brahman cows. then i prefer that route for the mothering and milking ability heat tolerence and insect . but with the hereford cows you got only one brahman to worry with and thats a good thing if you aint to handy handling cattle

Latest posts