F-1 crosses

Help Support CattleToday:

I believe that is correct also.

Down here we have "Golden Certified" F-1s as well and they are from registered breeding parents.

that is what i thought we want to breed either f-1 brangus or brafords running brahma cows and covering them with a bull but dont want to pay for registered brahmas if i dont have to. so i want to find some purebred brahmas if i can.

CircleHFarm":eweqx2o9 said:
that is what i thought we want to breed either f-1 brangus or brafords running brahma cows and covering them with a bull but dont want to pay for registered brahmas if i dont have to. so i want to find some purebred brahmas if i can.
good luck with that,, findnig good pure bred brahman with out paper work is gonna be hard... you can find plenty of decent angus and hereford with out em ,, and run a brahman bull

I don;t understand the F1 Brangus or Braford part. A Brangus is 3/8 Brhaman and 5/8 Angus, not sure what the percentages are if any for a true Braford

dun":rs2s1zcj said:
I don;t understand the F1 Brangus or Braford part. A Brangus is 3/8 Brhaman and 5/8 Angus, not sure what the percentages are if any for a true Braford

Brafords are 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Herf

farmwriter":23p5e8yx said:
dun":23p5e8yx said:

brafords can be what ever suits you are your area from a 1/4 brahman in the upper south,, to 3/4 on the coast even F1's ..... un certified F1's are what really kills the braford association most cattleman prefer them and their bulls aint popular

good luck with that,, findnig good pure bred brahman with out paper work is gonna be hard... you can find plenty of decent angus and hereford with out em ,, and run a brahman bull[/quote]

i figured that but i like looking at the brahmas better so thats why i wanna go that way

F1 is the first-generation of progeny of two separate breeds, not necessarily registered but ideally both parents of pure blood. Like the good ol' Angus X Hereford baldy. Now one of the smart college kids on the board can come along and explain it better and also define the F2. 8)

MO_cows":125i2woj said:
F1 is the first-generation of progeny of two separate breeds, not necessarily registered but ideally both parents of pure blood. Like the good ol' Angus X Hereford baldy. Now one of the smart college kids on the board can come along and explain it better and also define the F2. 8)
Not a smart college kid, but an F2 is the result of mating 2 F1s with the same breed composition, i.e. angus X Hereford to angus X Hereford, Shorthorn X Gelbvieh to Shorthorn X Gelbvieh, etc.

alacattleman":4xahxfqt said:
farmwriter":4xahxfqt said:
dun":4xahxfqt said:

brafords can be what ever suits you are your area from a 1/4 brahman in the upper south,, to 3/4 on the coast even F1's ..... un certified F1's are what really kills the braford association most cattleman prefer them and their bulls aint popular

Not here. A registered Braford is 5/8 hereford 3/8 brahman

KNERSIE":unq961ie said:

Thus part of the dilemma with producing an F1 anything out of such a cross. The other dilemma is that if an F1 is truly 1/2 and 1/2 then getting an F1 out of such a cross is impossible - per dun's comments. Eventually, it seems, you end up with a well engineered mutt - a nice mutt perhaps, but a mutt none the less.

KNERSIE":1jq019b9 said:
alacattleman":1jq019b9 said:

I think the deal is that people refer to about any cross of angus and Brahman as Brangus and any cross of Hereford and Brahman Braford. Sort of in the same category as balck Herefords

Third Row":1bngc3lo said:
Correct. So breeding a Brangus or Braford to a Brahman won;t make an F1.

Where did they ask about doing that? They were looking at breeding an Angus or Hereford to Brahman cows.

"quote"we want to breed either f-1 brangus or brafords running brahma cows [/quote}

angus9259":vtkj0m3y said:
KNERSIE":vtkj0m3y said:

Thus part of the dilemma with producing an F1 anything out of such a cross. The other dilemma is that if an F1 is truly 1/2 and 1/2 then getting an F1 out of such a cross is impossible - per dun's comments. Eventually, it seems, you end up with a well engineered mutt - a nice mutt perhaps, but a mutt none the less.
those mutts are hot items in the deep south,,, we had a few brahman/f1 sales where some guys were buying eared heifers and trying too pass them off as true F1S

KNERSIE":3754snf5 said:
alacattleman":3754snf5 said:
farmwriter":3754snf5 said:

That's what I meant. To my mind if it's not that ratio, it's a brahman-hereford cross.

Latest posts